Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 23  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:16 pm 
Offline
Squadron Leader

Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:33 pm
Posts: 199
Any chance anymore Warbirds get added to the list? Any rumors of post-Oshkosh aircraft making the trek over? Trying to decide whether or not to head up for this show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:52 pm 
Offline
Group Captain

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:34 pm
Posts: 371
hurricane_yank wrote:
Any chance anymore Warbirds get added to the list? Any rumors of post-Oshkosh aircraft making the trek over? Trying to decide whether or not to head up for this show.


We should know within a day or two....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:18 pm 
Offline
Squadron Leader

Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:33 pm
Posts: 199
Current Warbird lineup (30):

12 x Corsairs
7 x P-51
1 x TBM
1 x A-26
1 x B-17
3 x B-25
1 x C-47
3 x PT-17
1 x T-6

Do they not do a ground battle anymore? I haven't been since 2015 when they started to get away from a Warbird's show to a more commercial/military show. Is it still in the same location or did they move over towards their hanger?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:53 pm 
Offline
Group Captain

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:34 pm
Posts: 371
I've been keeping track of the "more exhaustive" warbird count as it changes.

BUT more importantly from today which I am trying to find more about, N51Z is shown on Flightaware at Willow Run. This could be a HUGE surprise, I've seen it before, but it would be incredible if it's at Thunder. :P


-12x F4U/FG-1D Corsairs- N773RD, N43FG, N46RL, N83JC, N9964Z, N72378 (-4), N713JT (-4), N179PT (-5P), N43RW (-5NL), N45NL (-5NL), N4901W (-5NL), N1337A (-7)
-8x P-51 Mustangs- Old Crow (B), Ain’t Misbehavin’ (D), Gentleman Jim (D), Glamorous Glen III (D), Moonbeam McSwine, (D), Old Crow (D), Petie 2nd (D), Quicksilver (D)
-2x B-25 Mitchells- Yankee Warrior (D), Georgie’s Gal (J)
-1x B-17 Flying Fortress- Yankee Lady
-1x DC-3 ‘variant’- Hairless Joe
-1x Waco YMF-5C

-2x UH-1H Iroquois
-1x AH-1F Cobra
-1x CT-133 Silver Star 3- Red Knight

-2x T-28 Trojans
-1x T-6 Texan
-1x BT-13 Valiant
-2x PT-17 Stearman’s
-1x N3N Yellow Peril
-2x O-2 Skymaster’s
-1x L-5 Sentinel
-1x DHC-1 Chipmunk
-1x Beech Model 18


Last edited by GRNDP51 on Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:30 am, edited 5 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:09 pm 
Offline
Wing Commander

Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:25 am
Posts: 268
Thought all along that the much hoped for "Oshkosh spillover effect" was not likely to materialize, guys rarely pop in to shows just because they happen to have been in the same part of a continent the week before.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:38 pm 
Offline
Flight Lieutenant
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:17 pm
Posts: 125
GRNDP51 wrote:
-7x P-51 Mustangs- Old Crow (B), Ain’t Misbehavin’ (D), Glamorous Glen III (D), Moonbeam McSwine (D), Old Crow (D), Petie 2nd (D), Quicksilver (D)


P-51D "Old Crow" is not scheduled to attend TOM, the P-51D "Gentleman Jim" is. The Old Crow "D" is being stored in the museum's hangar until I can get it down to the Roush Hangar to do some work on it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:24 pm 
Offline
Group Captain

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:34 pm
Posts: 371
Paul Draper wrote:
GRNDP51 wrote:
-7x P-51 Mustangs- Old Crow (B), Ain’t Misbehavin’ (D), Glamorous Glen III (D), Moonbeam McSwine (D), Old Crow (D), Petie 2nd (D), Quicksilver (D)


P-51D "Old Crow" is not scheduled to attend TOM, the P-51D "Gentleman Jim" is. The Old Crow "D" is being stored in the museum's hangar until I can get it down to the Roush Hangar to do some work on it.

Yes correct, sorry I always get those 357th birds mixed up. It is Gentleman Jim.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:41 am 
Offline
Group Captain

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:34 pm
Posts: 371
List updated this morning. Now this will probably be the last one. Mid Atlantic pulled the B-25 and Avenger, Tim pulled the A-26, and ironically enough (last post), D model Old Crow has been added to make 8 Mustangs.

Although this is the last list, I’ve heard things here and there about a few more surprises that might not be announced in case they’re dropped.

And the schedule has not been posted yet.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:19 am 
Offline
Wing Commander

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:05 am
Posts: 241
GRNDP51 wrote:
List updated this morning. Now this will probably be the last one. Mid Atlantic pulled the B-25 and Avenger, Tim pulled the A-26, and ironically enough (last post), D model Old Crow has been added to make 8 Mustangs.

Although this is the last list, I’ve heard things here and there about a few more surprises that might not be announced in case they’re dropped.

And the schedule has not been posted yet.


XP-82 still hasn't left Oshkosh (as per Flightware). My hopes are still high(ish) that it will surprise. There was also rumours that Rod Lewis' Mosquito was going to hang around the north east, although it has already dropped form one potential show that I know of so who knows.

5 days!!

Sean


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:46 am 
Offline
Squadron Leader

Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:33 pm
Posts: 199
GRNDP51 wrote:
List updated this morning. Now this will probably be the last one. Mid Atlantic pulled the B-25 and Avenger, Tim pulled the A-26, and ironically enough (last post), D model Old Crow has been added to make 8 Mustangs.

Although this is the last list, I’ve heard things here and there about a few more surprises that might not be announced in case they’re dropped.

And the schedule has not been posted yet.


Very disappointing to hear that - may have helped to make up my mind.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:49 am 
Offline
Group Captain

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:34 pm
Posts: 371
martin_sam_2000 wrote:

XP-82 still hasn't left Oshkosh (as per Flightware). My hopes are still high(ish) that it will surprise. There was also rumours that Rod Lewis' Mosquito was going to hang around the north east, although it has already dropped form one potential show that I know of so who knows.

5 days!!

Sean

I saw some photos on FB of the Mossie in Texas that I assume were from the trip home. Doc also headed back home yesterday. XP-82 is the only possible surprise left from Oshkosh. Also N51Z, which I'm still not sure what it's doing at Willow Run yet. Could see both of them attending since it's seems to be turning into a Corsair AND Mustang gathering! 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:58 am 
Offline
Wing Commander

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:05 am
Posts: 241
GRNDP51 wrote:
martin_sam_2000 wrote:

XP-82 still hasn't left Oshkosh (as per Flightware). My hopes are still high(ish) that it will surprise. There was also rumours that Rod Lewis' Mosquito was going to hang around the north east, although it has already dropped form one potential show that I know of so who knows.

5 days!!

Sean

I saw some photos on FB of the Mossie in Texas that I assume were from the trip home. Doc also headed back home yesterday. XP-82 is the only possible surprise left from Oshkosh. Also N51Z, which I'm still not sure what it's doing at Willow Run yet. Could see both of them attending since it's seems to be turning into a Corsair AND Mustang gathering! 8)


I am assuming it is there for some work at Roush, similar to the Old Crow D as mentioned by Paul Draper above. would be cool even if it is just towed over for static!

Sean


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:03 pm 
Offline
Group Captain

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:34 pm
Posts: 371
martin_sam_2000 wrote:
I am assuming it is there for some work at Roush, similar to the Old Crow D as mentioned by Paul Draper above. would be cool even if it is just towed over for static!

Sean

This is what I was thinking too, there were just a few reasons this wasn't adding up to me. I follow N51Z (Shanty Irish when she's at Reno) relatively closely as another member on here and friend of mine is usually in touch with Dusty Dowd and his happenings. It was noted that after Reno 2017 there were a multitude of "costly" squawks that had to be taken care of, thus grounding it for a few years at minimum. Yes, it has been a few years, but word has it Dusty has been ridiculously busy with real life (cropdusting), and hasn't had time to prepare Lylia his Yak for Reno this year, which seemed like "let alone do anything to the A model"... But who knows? Does Roush work on Allisons? Is Flightaware playing with our emotions? LOL


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:07 pm 
Offline
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:11 pm
Posts: 1559
Location: Pacific Northwest USA, via North Florida
Reminds me when I was in meetings for an airshow in my hometown in Florida in the early 90s. I heard someone say something I never forgot, "take the list of who's coming and consider half of them won't make it, but have ramp room in case they all show up."
Never assume the first list is who's actually showing up, I heard.
I've never heard better advice for that kind of thing.

_________________
Image
Life member, 91st BG Memorial Association
1944 Willys MB #366014, MVPA
REMF


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:25 pm 
Offline
Wing Commander

Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:25 am
Posts: 268
Their 1st caveat is "schedule is subject to change without notice", and it really can't be any other way. It really takes quite a commitment and effort to get these rare, old and valuable machines from point A to point B, props and thanks to those who make the effort.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 23  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dave Downs, Google Adsense [Bot], mazdaP5, quemerford and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group