Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: THUNDER OVER MICHIGAN 2019

Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:28 pm

WIXerGreg wrote:Eight Corsairs visible from Ecorse as of 5 pm.

Yep, 3 more to go, Collings, Godspeed, and Louis Horschel

Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:17 pm

a few random, or not so random, shots from Friday's photo-pit
[imghttps://photos.smugmug.com/Airplanes/190802-03-Thunder-Over-Michigan/190802-tom-randon/i-bSZSx2h/0/e324b4ff/X2/190802TOM_0553-X2.jpg][/img]

Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:44 pm

Can't say I did a proper corsair count, fairly late [after 6 pm] a whole slew of 5 took off together and did a couple formation passes, then left for a photo op I am guessing. About 45 minutes later they returned along with 4 others that arrive before them, so got to see a mass in trail corsair landing, pretty cool. E8 showed up, along with the AL F-16's and F-18 Growlers.

Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:20 am

I gave up on Ecorse at 6 and went to eat. It sounds like I should have waited a bit longer!

Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:07 am

There should be 11 Corsairs in total - pretty much everything on the most recent updated aircraft list showed up so that was pretty good.

The busiest movement time of the night was around 7pm-8pm

I sat in that field at the approach to Runway 5R between the Roush Hangar and the old Zantop facility

We had 5 Corsairs go out for a photo shoot that took off to the south. Several people panicked and headed to Ecorse seeing the Corsairs took off to the south fearing a windshift. However the Canadian CC-130 came in on 5R along with an Air Force single ship Texan II and a Chipmunk. Three new Corsairs arrived and did a break to land. Then the HC-130 arrived, a 4 ship Texan II formation then the returning 5 photo Corsairs all came pretty much at once making it pretty busy. They flipped the runways to 23s shortly after. I ran to Ecorse to get the yellow Navy Texan II arrival after 8pm and headed home.

Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:23 am

If anybody is up for and old fashioned group WIX photo pick a time and place.

Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:41 pm

I'll leave photos to the real photographers but here is raw DSLR video of the Corsair startup, warmup and them taxiing out. The return video is still uploading.

https://youtu.be/aUkaZuYk3_0

Edit: I can't get the embedding to work on my phone, I'll fix it as soon as I can get back to the laptop.

Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:44 pm

Ok, here's the startup:

And here's the return:

Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:49 pm

Best Thunder Over Michigan since 2015 IMHO. Awesome day today. The morning airshow by itself was better than the last two years put together. All of the flying all day was great and I can't think of a single thing that could have been done better. The "Corsair Crazy" flight at the end was absolutely worth the wait. 11 Corsairs is one heck of a gathering and the TOM crew should be proud.

Wish I could go back tomorrow, but I'd have a five-hour drive back Sunday night and I'm just not up for that. Well done Thunder Over Michigan!

Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:44 pm

Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:47 pm

there are 9 P51 Mustangs there too.
-7- in this picture, -1- flying over and -1- not flying

Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:55 am

The weather really cooperated for you, sounds like a great show. Nice shots!

Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:36 pm

2019 Thunder Over Michigan is a wrap this year!

This year's show was a great show featuring 11 Corsairs from all over North America. I went both days and the lineup was great both in the air and on the ground! The morning show was good because you had a nice mix of warbirds and modern military power too! Plus, those 7 Mustangs were AWESOME! The afternoon show was a little slow during the middle of it on Sunday due to some issues with the C-130 holding things up, but besides that the F-16 Demo and Corsairs were for sure the highlights!

My only few MINOR complains were: 1.) The lack of old warbirds on static display was a bit dry, but I do understand most of the money went to the Corsairs which was worth it! 2.) The intermission. I like a good intermission to walk around, but 2 hours in a tad much. An hour would be ideal but what you gonna do?! :lol: And that's about it!

It was my first year bringing a camera and there is just TOO MANY people in my shots haha! Thinking next year we'll spend some money on the early ramp access/photo pit thing one day to get some sweet pics. Anybody know how much per person that is?

I'm just starting to edit my photos from this weekend and I'll post some more later this week! Cheers to 2020!

Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:30 pm

I agree on the intermission, two hours is a bit much but maybe the cost of the Corsairs was a factor in having the large block of time with nothing in the air. Others may not share the same view though. I, and probably most on this site are in line before the gate opens and spend time on the ramp early where others may come later and don't mind having some time in the afternoon to check out the ramp and not miss the flying displays.

The tents blocking almost all view of the ground battle is a bit disappointing.

Being at the barrier for the Corsair startup and taxi and the flyovers, especially that line of 10 near the end tonight, made up for it all though! It's going to be quite a while before any of us see that again.

And hats off to Mid America Flight Museum for having Marine's Dream's cockpit open for free!

Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:43 pm

I thought the "intermission" was completely ludicrous, thankfully had access to some shade, would not have stood there and broiled for hours on end. Heard on the scanner the Viper demo was having flap problems and that caused a delay to his routine, but its hard to excuse literally hours of dead time at $50 a head.
Post a reply