Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: THUNDER OVER MICHIGAN 2019

Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:12 pm

The Fighters & Legends Corsair came off the Vought production line as a F4U-5P variant.

Cheers,

Tom Walsh.

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:59 am

TOM WALSH wrote:The Fighters & Legends Corsair came off the Vought production line as a F4U-5P variant.

Cheers,

Tom Walsh.

Would this be a “disclaimer” to the 7 variants clause? :lol: so when Collings sends the -5 it’s a -5N so it’s a separate variant? I was wondering how 7 variants would happen considering there are only 7 variants airworthy in the first place. I was thinking that you might consider O’Connor’s an AU-1 even though that’s technically 50% true haha

Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:42 am

GRNDP51 wrote:so when Collings sends the -5 it’s a -5N so it’s a separate variant?

The Collings airplane is technically a -5NL, so you could split hairs there if you wanted to. The NL had de-icing boots.

Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:06 am

Ryan Harris wrote:
GRNDP51 wrote:so when Collings sends the -5 it’s a -5N so it’s a separate variant?

The Collings airplane is technically a -5NL, so you could split hairs there if you wanted to. The NL had de-icing boots.

You aren’t wrong! :lol: so there are 3 other -5’s besides the 2 previously mentioned, is Lone Star’s a -5N?

Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:45 pm

According to production records from Vought, there were 21 variants/sub variants of the F4U Corsair produced.

With respect to the Dash 5, there were four models - F4U-5, F4U-5N, F4U-5NL and F4U-5P.

Hope you guys make it to the show.

Cheers,

Tom Walsh.

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:48 pm

Is there a photo package for just Saturday/Sunday morning on the ramp before the crowds show up? I'm going to be going with family during the afternoon and won't have time to be in the photo pit all day.

Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:40 am

Alex, unfortunately this was dropped a few years ago. We had too many photographic options which started to become unserviceable overall.

Cheers,

Tom Walsh.

Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:17 pm

For the TOM veterans out there,

Recommendations on hotel... Canton, Belleville, or Ypsi?

My thought process is that there could potentially be a hotel in Canton that has the similar "approach appeal" that Ecorse Rd. has. Am I correct?

Anyway, just suggestions in general on the best way to stay close to the airport but at a decent hotel :D

Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:39 pm

Just added,

The Wings Of The North's F4U-4 Corsair! :wink:

Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:46 pm

I stayed at the Hampton in Ypsilanti on the I-94 service drive last year and it was great but a little more than other hotels - when it was just me by myself I stayed at the Red Roof behind Wendy's on the service drive but my wife told me if I'm bringing my daughter then I'm staying somewhere nicer! There's also a newer Day's Inn right next to the Hampton. I've seen people with reservations turned away along with bait and switch pricing at the Red Roof more than once on airshow weekend, I'd recommend staying away from it entirely.

Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:31 pm

WIXerGreg wrote:I stayed at the Hampton in Ypsilanti on the I-94 service drive last year and it was great but a little more than other hotels - when it was just me by myself I stayed at the Red Roof behind Wendy's on the service drive but my wife told me if I'm bringing my daughter then I'm staying somewhere nicer! There's also a newer Day's Inn right next to the Hampton. I've seen people with reservations turned away along with bait and switch pricing at the Red Roof more than once on airshow weekend, I'd recommend staying away from it entirely.

Thanks Greg, will look into it!

michael luther wrote:Just added,
The Wings Of The North's F4U-4 Corsair! :wink:

Yea baby!! PLZ Sierra Sue come too :prayer:
Last edited by GRNDP51 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:42 pm

Any chance the Brewster F3A Corsair will be finished and in attendance?

Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:36 pm

marine air wrote:Any chance the Brewster F3A Corsair will be finished and in attendance?

She's finished and resides in Colorado now with the Slattery birds. Assuming she makes her real debut at OSH this year, it only makes sense she would head to Thunder on the way back home

Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:50 pm

Updated Corsair list..

Jim Tobul's F4U-4 Corsair
The Military Aviation Museum's FG-1D Corsair
The Fighters & Legends's F4U-5N Corsair
The Erickson Aircraft Collection's F4U-7 Corsair
John O'Connor's F4U-7 Corsair
The Wings Of The North's F4U-4 Corsair

For early January that's a really impressive list of aircraft!

Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:13 pm

Dizzle729 wrote:Updated Corsair list..

Jim Tobul's F4U-4 Corsair
The Military Aviation Museum's FG-1D Corsair
The Fighters & Legends's F4U-5N Corsair
The Erickson Aircraft Collection's F4U-7 Corsair
John O'Connor's F4U-7 Corsair
The Wings Of The North's F4U-4 Corsair

For early January that's a really impressive list of aircraft!

Add Quicksilver and whatever WHF is bringing and you have an even better January lineup!!!
Post a reply