Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Cockpit restoration
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:45 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

I know restoring cockpits are big in the UK but I was wondering if it's even a thing in the U.S.
Never seen a trailer mounted cockpit/nose at a U.S. Airshow. Anybody else seen one?

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

Post subject: Re: Cockpit restoration
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:56 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I saw a real nice looking F-4 Phantom on a trailer at Geneseo one year. (2016 I think).

Andy

This one.

http://airmuseumnetwork.com/phantom-passion/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:27 am 

The Carolinas Aviation Museum has an F-4J cockpit mounted on a trailer. They used to tow it to airshows, but the aluminum boat trailer frame wasn't up to the task and cracked. It is now deteriorating as an interactive exhibit in the museum hangar.

They also have the cockpit section from the KC-97 that was at the old Florence Air & Space Museum. I do not think it is currently on display.

C2j

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There are a couple of businesses that have cockpits they take to airshows so people can get photos taken in them. At least one has Thunderbirds markings on one side and Blue Angles in the other. I've seen T-33 and Phantom cockpits used. Unlike the UK-centric hobby, I'm pretty sure these cockpits are stripped for ease of access and safety rather than authenticity.

A couple of months back at our local GA field, I saw the front fuselage (the complete nose to just behind the front seats) of a late '60s "pointy nose" Cessna 310 stuffed into the bed of a pickup. I have no idea of its eventual use...display, kids toy or simulator (it would be neat with 3 big screen TV's hooked up to Flight Simulator. One could live all sorts of Sky King fantasies while flying over the virtual West).

In the mid-90s I was TDY to Davis-Monthan to conduct some training there, and I stopped by one of the scrapyards nearby to buy some display pieces for my den. The proprietors said they had just scrapped a recently released F-105 but kept h the front fuselage and cockpit thinking it might be worth something. I wonder where it is now?

You're right, "cockpitting" is a big hobby in the UK. FlyPast magazine often has stories about it and sponsors an annual "cockpit-fest" which culminates with awards.
I suppose the hobby is an offshoot of digging up wrecks (natural since they have so many neat and nearby warbird bits to dig up) and the UK passion for collecting in general.
Why isn't it popular here? Most people live too far from D-M to easily get them, and warbird fans here are more likely to spend their time and money actually flying (a warbird or even a GA type) than making half of a static display.

Last edited by JohnB on Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:24 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:11 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

The distance thing I get. I wish I lived closer to AMARC. I would love to get an A-3 Cockpit or an A-7.

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:21 am 

Scott WRG Editor wrote:
The distance thing I get. I wish I lived closer to AMARC. I would love to get an A-3 Cockpit or an A-7.

There are a few resources other than AMARC for aircraft. Online surplus auctions around the country often have fuselages, airframes or complete aircraft for bid. Currently there is an S2A in CA, a few OH-58's in AL and a Piper Warrior fuselage in FL. There are aircraft or major portions thereof almost every month.

S2-A and OH-58's
https://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucindx/

Piper Warrior fuselage
https://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/aucti ... uc=2228636

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:46 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

There's certainly an ex-Philippine AF F-86F cockpit around, and I recall seeing a C-97 and a (B-24 or PB4Y?) too. Must be loads around, hidden and not often displayed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:20 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

The CAF was taking That's All Brother's nose around until they put it back on the plane. Seemed popular, but I don't know if there's any money in the exercise.

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:36 pm 

After you've toured Stonehenge, go to Old Sarum airfield to see the Boscombe Down collection. http://www.boscombedownaviationcollection.co.uk/

"He's crazy Lew, he builds toy airplanes!"
- Frank Towns, "Flight of the Phoenix (the good one)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If you can live without a warbird cockpit, go to any general aviation salvage yard.
You might find one where the old avionics haven't been removed making restoration more of a clean-up job. A friend recently totaled his straight tail polished aluminum 172, the cabin is in fine shape. Likewise, have they Barons, Aztecs, even a 320.

The one near me has most of a T-6 if you're more ambitious...nothing is forward of the pilot's seat, but the rest is there. I can't imagine it would be too difficult to make it look complete (to non-flying standards) if you stopped at the firewall.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:56 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

There was a WIXer restoring an F-84 forward fuselage several years ago; IIRC he got it from a fire department that was using it for rescue training.

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:23 pm 

There's a guy in the Denver area that has a real nice A-7 nose on a trailer. Very well done

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:33 am 

The Jet Aircraft Museum in London, Ontario has the whole nose of CT-133 Silver Star 133648 on a trailer that they take to shows for cockpit tours.

'648 was supposedly the last operational CT-133, and went off the runway at CFB Trenton in 2009 during an aborted takeoff.
She had been sold, registered as N3648, and was on her way to Texas when the incident occurred.
After the serviceable parts had been salvaged, what was left was donated to JAM.

:partyman:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:25 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I have seen several -and I will search my files for photos of those- but the ones that come to mind now, are two (2) F-4 Phantom cockpits on trailers, at the CAF's hangar in St. Charles, MO

Saludos,

Tulio

I am one of them 'futbol' people.

Will the previous owner has pics of this double cabin sample

GOOD MORNING, WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Press "1" for English.
Press "2" to disconnect until you have learned to speak English.

Sooooo, how am I going to know to press 1 or 2, if I do not speak English????

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:44 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

The US has a bi-annual CockpitFest of guys who build cockpits. My CAP squadron has supported the last 2 events which were held at Lancaster with the D/FW Wing of the CAF's Open Cockpit / Wheels & Wings / whatever it's called now... ;) (it's Warbirds on Parade). They also did FlightSimCon this year as several of the cockpits local to the D/FW area are fighters which run F-16 sims (I think Falcon 4.x or LOMAC).

http://cockpitfestusa.org/