Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Planes of Fame 2019
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:54 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Since the former Clay Lacy is purple, it’d be easy to add a lozenge camo scheme with greys and greens similar to a WW I German Pfaltz! :axe: :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:43 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I thought it was all white now ? :?

Phil

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:13 am 

phil65 wrote:
I thought it was all white now ? :?

Phil

No, you're thinking of Voodoo - it is all white now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:14 pm 

GRNDP51 wrote:
First off on The Green Dot podcast posted yesterday, Stevo said they hope to have the Mosquito at the show.

The Mosquito has made it to Texas
https://www.instagram.com/p/BvmayC1lvJ8/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:11 pm 

Via their facebook, just annoucned A-26C N4313 will be making her POF debut! I assume this was the A-26 that was tentatively listed last year that didn't show.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:30 pm 

GRNDP51 wrote:
Kyleb wrote:
GRNDP51 wrote:
Planes of Fame confirmed they plan on having more than the three Thunderbolt's that are at Chino currently!

Interesting. A friend of mine usually flies one of them. I wonder if he's taking one of the Tennessee P-47's West?

Would always love to see HH or Wabbit! As of now I imagine that wouldn’t be POF’s plan as it seems a bit costly when the Bolt isn’t supposed to be their featured plane. As of right now I’m leaning towards Slattery’s (as it has invasions stripes) and as of recent they’ve typically supported POF’s shows with a plane. Steve also flies stuff at their show so I would bet it’s a nice gesture for them to send a plane to POF for the weekend.

WestPac Restorations has always seemed to support POF's airshow, and I would agree if another P-47 is coming, it would be theirs. Not sure if Jim Slattery owns a P-47.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:17 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Yeah, Jim Slattery doesn't have a P-47 (at least not currently in restored/operating form - though there is a razorback project at Westpac slated for restoration to fly that I'm not sure who the owner is). Westpac owns/operates the 78th FG-scheme (with invasion stripes) P-47D N47DF that I believe GRNDP51 was referring to, which has been at some of the Planes of Fame airshows before (one of the, I believe four now, P-47's with operational turbochargers). Rod Lewis' P-47D "Balls Out" N767WJ could also always be a possibility - it was scheduled to participate in the last Thunderbolt gathering at Planes of Fame back in 2014, but developed an issue on a last-minute test flight before flying to the show. Another possibility for Thunderbolts would be the Erickson Aircraft Collection's P-47D "Hairless Joe" N47DA, which has already been flying this year, and Erickson has had some of their warbirds at the POF airshow in recent years, such as the P-38, Dauntless and Corsair.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:43 pm 

JohnTerrell wrote:
Yeah, Jim Slattery doesn't have a P-47 (at least not currently in restored/operating form - though there is a razorback project at Westpac slated for restoration to fly that I'm not sure who the owner is). Westpac owns/operates the 78th FG-scheme (with invasion stripes) P-47D N47DF that I believe GRNDP51 was referring to, which has been at some of the Planes of Fame airshows before (one of the, I believe four now, P-47's with operational turbochargers). Rod Lewis' P-47D "Balls Out" N767WJ could also always be a possibility - it was scheduled to participate in the last Thunderbolt gathering at Planes of Fame back in 2014, but developed an issue on a last-minute test flight before flying to the show. Another possibility for Thunderbolts would be the Erickson Aircraft Collection's P-47D "Hairless Joe" N47DA, which has already been flying this year, and Erickson has had some of their warbirds at the POF airshow in recent years, such as the P-38, Dauntless and Corsair.

Yes, referring to N47DF. I was under the impression JS owned everything at the Colorado museum. That would be my #1 assumption of another P-47 attending, especially as they allowed Steve to ferry White 33 to the show last year. Your statements are true regarding Lewis and Erickson. I'm just hesitant in being too hopeful as neither of them supported the 38/47 theme last year, and of course they both have both types in their collection. If Lewis sends anything I imagine (hope) it will be the Mossie if it's finished, and Stew in Kitty Kitty per usual. I'm curious if anything else from Friedkin will show up, Steve usually spends the week or so before the event ferrying planes from the likes of Friedkin, Colorado, Lewis... would think Thoughts of Midnite will be there, was confused when it didn't fly back to Chino after HF training.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:07 pm 

Rumors of something special on the Reno side of things at POF. It's already been shown that Voodoo will be doing some sort of "performance", but Facebook is hinting at some rumors of something special (potentially involving Strega), and it is said that it will be better than last year's lackluster demo of the 2 racers! :wink:

Here are my guesses:

-Strega with a race engine "demonstration"/ Voodoo speed record "demonstration" with stock engine
-Maybe a gathering of some racers? Strega/Voodoo/Miss Van Nuys/Goldfinger? (so Strega without a race engine, but still more of a demo than last year)

Plenty of other possibilities, I think Strega with a race engine and maybe Steven flying it seems most likely...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:15 pm 

Strega, Dreadnought, and Goldfinger confirmed with Voodoo!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:39 pm 

GRNDP51 wrote:
Rumors of something special on the Reno side of things at POF. It's already been shown that Voodoo will be doing some sort of "performance", but Facebook is hinting at some rumors of something special (potentially involving Strega), and it is said that it will be better than last year's lackluster demo of the 2 racers! :wink:

Here are my guesses:

-Strega with a race engine "demonstration"/ Voodoo speed record "demonstration" with stock engine
-Maybe a gathering of some racers? Strega/Voodoo/Miss Van Nuys/Goldfinger? (so Strega without a race engine, but still more of a demo than last year)

Plenty of other possibilities, I think Strega with a race engine and maybe Steven flying it seems most likely...

While it would definitely get the juices flowing for the people that have never witnessed in person the sound, and speed, of these aircraft, if they had their race engines installed. And it would be great if this type of display attracted new Reno attendees. I imagine the resources it would take to make this kind of demo happen, would be difficult for the race team owners to justify. With that said, I still remember back in the 80s, when Tiger used to "turn it up" in Strega during his flight display at the Minter Field Airshow.

Voodoo, Strega, Dreadnought, and a couple of others, put on a race demo a few years ago at the POF show; flying in a figure eight pattern. While it was nice to see the display, I wish they would have "turned it up" for a few circuits. :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:05 pm 

stryper wrote:

While it would definitely get the juices flowing for the people that have never witnessed in person the sound, and speed, of these aircraft, if they had their race engines installed. And it would be great if this type of display attracted new Reno attendees. I imagine the resources it would take to make this kind of demo happen, would be difficult for the race team owners to justify. With that said, I still remember back in the 80s, when Tiger used to "turn it up" in Strega during his flight display at the Minter Field Airshow.

Voodoo, Strega, Dreadnought, and a couple of others, put on a race demo a few years ago at the POF show; flying in a figure eight pattern. While it was nice to see the display, I wish they would have "turned it up" for a few circuits. :twisted:

I do agree with your points. Everything has been pretty silent in the Strega camp, so it's 50/50 if Strega would have a race engine. I think it would be more or less do some passes at speed, somewhat putting some time on the engine, but still keeping it fresh for Reno. This is all assuming they plan on racing this year. Also heard it should be Jay in Strega again at Chino. Now that I have confirmation Goldfinger will be there too, I think the "more" this year might just be on of the old-school POF demo races they used to have, which to me would be better than Strega/Voodoo photo passes like last year!

And you are actually spot on about the Minter display. Not too long ago maybe 2013?? Just can't remember, Steve Hinton Sr. did a demo at Minter in Strega, I still haven't found video of it! 99% sure it was the stock engine, but man did Sr. turn it up, EASILY the best part of the show, Strega was MOVING. I went to a handful of Minter shows, this had to have been the most recent real show (not sure if it was a Warbird in Action or not) someone has to remember what I am talking about!!!

*It was 2013, found some photos I took, but no video!! :evil:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:08 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

So they have stock engine and a race engine for these birds ?
I thought they would just baby the engines unless it was go time... 8)

Phil

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:47 am 

phil65 wrote:
So they have stock engine and a race engine for these birds ?
I thought they would just baby the engines unless it was go time... 8)

Phil

I don’t know if this was sarcastic??? But for anyone that doesn’t know..

Once you hear the difference between a race engine and a stock engine... stock Mustangs become a lot less attractive :lol: somewhat kidding, but race Merlins are a totally different ballgame. I won’t go into details as I don’t know nearly as much as some do, but race Merlins produce upwards of 3,800hp compared to the stock 1,500 or so. There are so many adjustments that make that happen, the stronger Allison connecting rods being one of the more well-known modications (that’s easy to understand). Aside from horsepower, I always think it’s incredible that race Merlins can run 140 inches of manifold pressure when stock generally doesn’t exceed 60 inches. Like I said there’s plenty more to it, but the Mustang is a different beast when it’s race ready

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:12 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I guess I'm still a little confused.
I know the race planes have race engines in them and the show planes have stock engines in them for the most part.
But why would they put a stock engine in a race plane, I'm never seen one outside of an air race or if it's going for speed record.
I just figured they dusted it off and tuned it up a month or so before the race and then put it back to bed.

Phil

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next