Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Gift idea for 8th AF B-24 fans

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:20 pm

I saw an ad today for a new Corgi 1/72nd scale diecast.
A B-24J (42-52154) of the 453rd BG based at Old Buckenham, "Male Call", reportedly flown by James Stewart when he was group ops officer.

The ad shows Stewart and four other crew members posing by the ship. I don't think I've ever seen that photo before. I wonder if because of his celebrity if he didn't get photographed a lot by group personnel...if for no other reason than to send something home for moms and kid sisters.

There is also a (presumably prewar) shot of him in the cockpit of a light plane...Perhaps his Stinson (not enough is shown to give me an ID)?

No price is given but you can check it out online at
http://www.corgi.co.uk

Btw:the fine print says B-24J Liberator ® is a trademark of Lockheed Martin. That's a new one to me...but at least no one is calling it a Lockheed Martin B-24.

Re: Gift idea for 8th AF B-24 fans

Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:08 pm

$170 bucks give or take the going rate the day you purchase it! Yikes! Plus your shipping from across the pond. Expensive little toy!!
Is there a Corgi dealer in the U.S.?

Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:22 pm

I've been pretty happy with The Flying Mule https://www.flyingmule.com

Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:51 am

JohnB wrote:Btw:the fine print says B-24J Liberator® is a trademark of Lockheed Martin. That's a new one to me...but at least no one is calling it a Lockheed Martin B-24.

With that mentioned, story time.

Lockheed Martin has ownership of aircraft designations and names from past company acquisitions. The roots of this footnote of history started when Consolidated Vultee became Convair. During the 1950s, Convair was acquired by General Dynamics and operated as the Convair Division. Decades later in the 1990s, General Dynamics sold off the surviving parts of the former Convair Division. I believe General Dynamics once had intact ownership and responsibly of the Consolidated Vultee aircraft.

The current form of Lockheed Martin acquired the very much active Atlas rocket program, from then the dissolving division. Other missile program assists were sold to Hughes. Elements of the surviving airframe contracting operations were sold to McDonnell Douglas, now Boeing.

A few years ago, I wanted to know who currently had ownership of the B-24/PB4Y-2, and the associated design/engineering intellectual property rights. Alternatively, another method was to find current ownership of the FAA type certificates. Two years of hard painful work was involved for a project, and was successful in the end, but without what we required. We still don't know who owns everything else but a name.

It quite possible to say over the recent decades, everything else not sold off within the Convair Division faded into history.

Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:02 am

I don't know why I was surprised by the B-24 being Lockheed Martin, after all, the F-16 is now a LM product.
I had just never taken the mental steps regarding the old aircraft.
It would be interesting to see what the Convair airliners type certificates say (since they are about the only Convair types still flying).

If you visit the Boeing company store, they've really integrated (or appropriated) the Douglas and North American heritage designs.

As far as design ownership, a couple of years ago I did some basic research and was surprised to discover that Boeing now owned the prewar Northrop designs...Alpha, Gamma, etc....through its acquisition of Douglas as Douglas took over the first Northrop concern and eventually made it the El Segundo division while Jack Northrop star a new Northrop and went on to experiment with flying wings and to build the P-61, F-89 and F-5.
Post a reply