Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:42 am 

I've searched with no luck.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:53 pm 

It was mostly engines. One photo showed a guy standing in a puddle of oil working on an Allison, under a canopy probably on some tropical island.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:48 am 

Someone on here posted all those photos along time ago. Does anyone have any ideas?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:01 am 

exhaustgases wrote:
Someone on here posted all those photos along time ago. Does anyone have any ideas?

Yes, if you search posts by the one person who regularly shares numerous historical (b&w) pictures, you might find that thread, but I don't think you will find the pictures.

C2j

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Anything specific your looking for? I’ll be happy to post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:27 am 

Mark Allen M wrote:
Anything specific your looking for? I’ll be happy to post

Yes all the mechanic engine photos. Even google could not find it. Ran into the Gary Austin thread, and saw mention how all the photo bucket pics he posted are no longer. And is why I just don't understand the logic of some websites to require off server posting of photos. Especially these historical and technical type sites. For many many years now Tera byte hard drives are dirt cheap, and if some on here would have known all Gary's pic's would be gone I'm sure there would have been lots of volunteering. Pictures need to be installed on what ever server hosts the web site, any thing else is just not logical, if its not done all you get is a link with a kitty or something on it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There’s more to it than that and WIX has several threads and discussions that may help explain the whole photo posting/hosting/ownership things. You looking for a few specific photos I may be able to help you out. G Austin’s old photos you’ll have to enquirer elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:15 pm 

The photos were of engines in repair etc. then someone wanted airframe as well. They all must have been removed or something. The one pic I remember the most was a fellow overhauling an Allison under a tarp canopy or something standing in oil, it looked like it was on some pacific island. There may have been some pics of women turning wrenches as well.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

www.fold3.com will have plenty

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:19 pm 

I finally found the link I had saved, it was a lot of searching.
The problem is since this stupid site forces all photos to be hosted all the nice pictures have now turned into a picture of a kittie cat. Its just plain idiocy to have hosted photos on sites like this, as it is inevitable that they will all be lost links, just like this thread. Sorry its just plain stupid.
http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.o ... b3811bc9ac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

exhaustgases wrote:
I finally found the link I had saved, it was a lot of searching.
The problem is since this stupid site forces all photos to be hosted all the nice pictures have now turned into a picture of a kittie cat.

The kittie cats are a problem from a different stupid site.
exhaustgases wrote:
Its just plain idiocy to have hosted photos on sites like this, as it is inevitable that they will all be lost links, just like this thread. Sorry its just plain stupid

Guess we should inform the idiots who post their own chosen photos, on sites like this, from their own chosen photo hosting sites not to be so stupid. To think that someday some of them may not want their own photos to be linked to this site any longer and/or they decide not to be held hostage from a photo hosting site any longer and delete their accounts. Or to think that there may even be a plethora of other reasons that members take down their own photos from this site that quite frankly is no one's business but their own. This site doesn't own the photos that are posted by members and Scott Rose has never claimed ownership simply because a member may want to share their photos. People come and go all the time on this site and many take down their photos when they go.

Don't blame the "stupid site", but you can blame me if you want ... I took them down. It is what it is.

Like I've already stated. www.fold3.com will have plenty of the photos I posted in the thread you're referring to.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:31 pm 

Photos should be on this server!
I looked at that fold site and don't know how to navigate it.
I searched airplane engines, and nothing shows up? So what am I supposed to search for to find anything?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Perhaps you should take it up with the owner of this site. My photos stay on my server. Fold3 is quite easy to navigate so keep trying, you’ll figure it out.

All the best

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:40 pm 

No worries I guess we all will do just fine not seeing the photos. I just wish there isn't such a big deal about copying them, I would have done that. Same with stuff gary posted and now its all just poof.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:46 pm 

There's no big deal about copying anything and saving for your personal use to look at later. Right click and download. Reposting them on the other hand....