Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:31 pm 

Nice work. I wonder if they have am F model nose glass for her?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:18 am 

The latest from the Liberty Foundation Facebook page.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:32 pm 

geek Any "Left Over" parts going to Liberty Belle II ? pop2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:29 pm 

Liberty Foundation has revealed pics on their Facebook page. Ye Olde Pub is now painted and has flown in her new scheme. Personally, I think the new scheme looks great, it's really nice to see a "fresh face " in the Fortress world. I wish they could've done a more complete conversion to look more like an early F model, but I also understand wanting the option to go back to a standard G model at a later date.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

For those who don't facebook.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:30 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanks Mark... :supz:

Phil

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:01 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I like it!
This is a great story to tell and there is nothing preventing her from telling her pathfinder history in the future.

I was not a fan of her previous scheme.

Just sayin'

Andy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:52 pm 

So much better! I love the new paint scheme. At least it is accurate! I like how they did some small modifications to make it look more "F"-like.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

DH82EH wrote:
I like it!
This is a great story to tell and there is nothing preventing her from telling her pathfinder history in the future.

I was not a fan of her previous scheme.

I agree. However it would have been neat to have at least seen a photo flight of Yankee Lady, Texas Raiders, and Madras Maiden fly together since they we're in essentially the same markings.

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:52 pm 

So does anyone actually have any photos of the real Ye Olde Pub? According to the story, the bomber made it back to RAF Seething, where the 448th BG was based. I seems to me that any time a severely damaged Fort managed to make it back to England, there was a photographer on-hand to document the miracle. All my internet searches turn up is 'artists renditions' of the Stigler incident.

9 of the 10 crew members reportedly survived the mission...I am just surprised that even if the supposed 'press lid' was put on the story, people talk.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:25 am 

Speedy wrote:
So does anyone actually have any photos of the real Ye Olde Pub? According to the story, the bomber made it back to RAF Seething, where the 448th BG was based. I seems to me that any time a severely damaged Fort managed to make it back to England, there was a photographer on-hand to document the miracle. All my internet searches turn up is 'artists renditions' of the Stigler incident.

9 of the 10 crew members reportedly survived the mission...I am just surprised that even if the supposed 'press lid' was put on the story, people talk.

I might be wrong, but I could have sworn that I read that there were no known photos that survived of Ye Olde Pub and the painting was accomplished based on the recollections of the surviving crew members.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There is a story with photos on her in the next (April/May) Warbirds International magazine.

BTW: Is that a F or G nose on it?
Looks more like a G to me...but I'm no expert.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:52 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

The airplane is a G, but they removed the chin turret to make it look more like an F. The other nose mods needed would be pretty extensive (swapping the cheek gun positions, new nose glass), but at least this gets it closer to the aircraft they're representing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

CAPflyer

I understand the nose differences between the G and F, and I can clearly see they removed the chin turret...my question was, did they change the nose glass?

I appreciate that it would be expensive to buy one or have one made, but I would imagine relatively easy to retrofit.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:05 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I flew over to Carrollton, GA today for fuel. As I approached the field, I heard a Boeing announce it was departing. As I got closer, I realized it was a B-17. It took a long ground roll for what I've seen from B-17's in the past and didn't climb very steeply either. It looked very nice from directly overhead on the takeoff roll.

As it turned out, it was <apparently> fairly heavy with fuel and they were probably conserving CHT's and fuel for a long flight back to the West Coast. I asked on CTAF which B-17 it was, and the pilot answered Ye Old Pub.

I landed right after it departed and they circled back over the field as they left the area. That's when I took this picture.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next