Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:46 pm 

From the Liberty Foundations Facebook page, Madras Maiden will be undergoing a bit of a transformation in order to represent Ye Olde Pub. I asked a Foundation member how far they are going in order to represent an F model and it sounds like they're going to be a fair amount of work. I know many on here weren't fans of the Madras Maiden scheme, so this will probably be a welcome change.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Liberty-Foundation-372963016719/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:04 pm 

Great change, now the aircraft can accurately represent a real B-17 and tell the incredible story of that fateful mission.

Great move!

I was not a fan of the nose art on "Madras Maiden". It was a modern looking nose art that used a millenial fitness model as its basis. UUUggg!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:06 pm 

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/ye- ... -webb.html

This is interesting. Quite a change...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:14 pm 

Are they thinking about going as far as to remove the chin turret and put new nose glass on it?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:11 pm 

That was what I asked on the site, and they said yes they are changing all that and more but wouldn't elaborate beyond that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:40 pm 

Xrayist wrote:
Are they thinking about going as far as to remove the chin turret and put new nose glass on it?

Not to mention removing the Cheyenne tail.

Glad to see it out of its ersatz Maiden paint scheme (I remember we had quite a "spirited" discussion on that awhile back), but not sure if this was the direction I would have gone with it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What a shame. First it was the historical paint scheme accuracy nuts that were upset. Now it’s going to be all the fitness models who are pissed. That bomber can’t win.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

bomberfan wrote:
I know many on here weren't fans of the Madras Maiden scheme, so this will probably be a welcome change.

I understand that opinion, the art was a bit too modern, but in the overall scheme of things, really not worth complaining about.

After all any surviving warbird deviates from "stock" in a lot of ways...either too clean, too shiny, extra antennas, a couple with extra or tinted windows, and in some cases, inauthentic organization markings (CAF's tramp stamp, the vet names on Collings' B-24) or if we want to limit ourselves to discussing nose art, in the war, a lot of warbirds had really amateur looking designs...if they were faithfully replicated today, they'd be laughed out of Oshkosh and ridiculed by warbird fans.

From a purely aesthetic (non-historic) standpoint, I'd probably enjoy a modern model more than a dated Vargas-type woman (with silly 40s style hair and clothes) and much more than the tasteless nudes that were featured on many period warbirds. But that's me.

I may have missed it, but will the OD paint be temporary or permanent on the ship?

Last edited by JohnB on Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:06 am 

John, they didn't say whether this would be a temporary change or not, but based on the amount of work to make a G model represent an F model, I would doubt it. I'm really curious as to how far they're going to take this, will they change the nose glass? Are they going to reskin the nose or just a round patch? What about the cheek windows? Early top turret? I highly doubt they'd redo the waist gun area, that would be a ton of work.

As for realistic nose art getting laughed out of Oshkosh, Sierra Sue II has very correct nose art, and people love that one. I do know that some may not appreciate the correct, and maybe not quite as skilled, nose art on aircraft. B-25 Mitch the Witch is a great example, her nose art was pretty close to correct, and they changed it and put an overly realistic picture of a clearly modern woman on the nose. Now it looks incredibly gaudy.

I'm excited for this change. If the Chucky paint scheme were still on it'd be different. But not many people seemed pleased by the Madras Maiden scheme. I've wanted for a long time to see a different "F" on the airshow circuit. MMB looks great, but the real Belle still exists so I don't see the need to have a pair of Forts still painted in that livery. Yes, I know, it was for the movie, but that was 30 years ago. There are many Forts worthy of being represented that I'd love to see another one chosen. Just my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:22 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I'm really looking forward to seeing the transformation when revealed!

Last edited by JohnTerrell on Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:01 am 

I too am curious how committed they are going to be to a true and accurate transformation. New nose, new tail turret, untagged the waist with new waist windows, new top turret... it's a pretty big list. I truly hope they do it justice, and don't just paint up the G as an F (I am aware that they intend some conversion work, just using a stark example).

Perhaps this could open the door for other F markings in the future. Can anyone say "Rosie's Riveters" of the 100th BG for the "Masters of the Air" filming?

If they do intend to permanently transform her to an F, I hope the G parts can go to Liberty Belle II's restoration as well. Might as well put them to good use!

- Dennis S.
Thornton, CO USA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:21 am 
Senior Moderator

My 2 cents worth.....

Chuckie is a pathfinder airplane...the only one left. She was a G model with radar installed in the ball turret position.

I wasn't real happy when they put the ball turret thing on her...and I'm not real excited about turning her into an F model.

The airplane could tell her own unique story about WWII and the advancement of radar technology that few outside this gaggle of warbirdgeeks know about.

But that's just me...and I don't have the cash to buy the airplane and make it right... so...

> rant over <

Join us for the Texas Warbird Report on WarbirdRadio.com!
Image http://www.facebook.com/WarbirdRadio
Listen at http://www.warbirdradio.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:24 am 

Dennis7423 wrote:
Perhaps this could open the door for other F markings in the future. Can anyone say "Rosie's Riveters" of the 100th BG for the "Masters of the Air" filming?

Interesting thought, I wonder if this conversion could be related to and maybe funded by Masters of the Air? Could make sense that they would want some "F" models for the series.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:44 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Mark Allen M wrote:
What a shame. First it was the historical paint scheme accuracy nuts that were upset. Now it’s going to be all the fitness models who are pissed. That bomber can’t win.

Image[/quote]

Yuppers...... :lol:
Phil

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:51 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Mark Allen M wrote:
What a shame. First it was the historical paint scheme accuracy nuts that were upset. Now it’s going to be all the shoe models who are pissed. That bomber can’t win.

FTFY