Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:17 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

F-104 for sale in UK: £25,000 and a Canadair Sabre at a lot less than that. Complete Hawker Hunter F.6 (static) sold recently at £6k, so yes, they are available - and usually more complete than the F-94 listed above.

In terms of airworthy candidates there is a Hunter T8 trainer currently at £25k in UK and it has a low-hours engine and looks ready to go.

See here for example:

http://www.rainbowaviation.co.uk/aircraftsales.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:58 pm 

quemerford wrote:
F-104 for sale in UK: £25,000 and a Canadair Sabre at a lot less than that. Complete Hawker Hunter F.6 (static) sold recently at £6k, so yes, they are available - and usually more complete than the F-94 listed above.

In terms of airworthy candidates there is a Hunter T8 trainer currently at £25k in UK and it has a low-hours engine and looks ready to go.

See here for example:

http://www.rainbowaviation.co.uk/aircraftsales.html

I think you are missing the point here. Joe was referring to available F-94 airframes available for sale. His point, and I agree, is that the F-94 is an extremely rare aircraft. The price he is asking is very reasonable considering there are no other airframes available for sale.

The F-94 is extremely rare in its own right. On top of that, other than this one for sale, I'm not aware of any others that are privately owned. Sure, there are a smattering available in non-government Museums and VFW parks, etc., but all of those are on long term permanent loan from the DoD. In other words, they are not for sale, only loan.

I don't know conclusively, but it wouldn't surprise me if this is the only privately owned F-94 in the world - can somebody confirm that?

You can't compare F-104's, F-86's or Hunters to the F-94. All of those airframes are plentiful with many survivors for sale, hence their "cheap" asking price. In the case of the F-94, it is extremely rare and might be the only F-94 to come up for sale anytime in the future. I think the asking price is very reasonable considering that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:33 pm 

If the wiki info on the F-94 is correct the first two prototypes had about 75% commonality with the T-33/F-80.... Supposedly the mods are mostly a nose extension for the radar and a modified tail section with an afterburner J-33 engine....
Apparently the A models were unreliable and most were refurbed into B models with revised engines....
The C model is essentially a new design....
If that's correct, it should be an easy flight restore using T-33 wings....prolly have to make a set of elevators....the afterburner could be a challenge....
I think it's totally worth the $20k, considering how it's near impossible to get fighters from the US govt...
As to the aircraft for sale in the UK, there's several websites.... The one above doesn't seem to have been updated lately.... There's also Everett aero and Jet Art aviation... Both have a good bit of interesting stuff.....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:49 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

As with all things it is worth what someone is willing to pay. I love all aircraft, but arguably the F-94 is perhaps the least iconic F series USAF jet, so museums and private collectors may be less interested. At the risk of being flamed here the F-94 is fugly, and not as sexy as some other types. Don’t get me wrong, I have a soft spot for early jets, even ugly ones, but The hunter, F-104 and others mentioned as available are much more recognized, iconic and desired, so it is ok for folks to mention those when comparing prices.. I would love to have a F-104 in my backyard (mrs. San Diego89 would disagree). There are many other old jets I would rather see fly or be restored. (P/F-80, Panther, Cougar, F-106, etc.)

Sure I hope it finds a great home, but some aircraft are more desired than others. I recognize others have other opinions.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:44 pm 

quemerford wrote:
Yes it should be flying, but with a/b it won't be restored to fly. Most airshow goers want to see P-51s, Spitfires, B-25s and F-86s. 95%+ wouldn't know a Starfire from a Scorpion and that's often what pays the bills. So unless a Cold War enthusiast or the son/daughter of F-94 personnel (with mega bucks to support the world's only operational afterburning J48) steps in, it's static museum fodder.

So you have to ask what museum has 20k to spare on a fuselage for a static restoration? After all (as many will see it), it's an airframe with no combat history or even an operational squadron history. And yes there are complete airframes out there for around, or less than 20k.

Nevertheless I do hope it goes somewhere where it will be safe and maybe get some wings too!

Several points here. First, if “what airshow goers want to see” is the motivation, stop now.
Secondly, if
your restoration incentive is making money, or even “paying the bills”... stop again. You aren’t the right entity for the task.

This is a golden opportunity to acquire a major airframe portion of a very very rare, unencumbered, early US jet that has the potential to fly again. Believe me, that is not small potatoes. It will require a person with an undying love of the F94 to do it, but it can be done and should be if the new owner has the means, but most importantly the DESIRE AND WILL to do it.

The lack of an afterburner is in no way a deal killer. An afterburner is a thrust AUGMENTER, not a thrust replacer. With adequate runway, an F94 does not need an afterburner for takeoff. It is in essence a modified F80/T33 platform which will fly just fine un-augmented, just as it’s familial relatives did, and do. Sure, an A/B would be nice, but in the event one is not available, or buildable, the craft will operate just fine without it.

Museums generally do not wish to pay a cent for anything. They are a business. Perhaps, a non-profit business, but a business nonetheless. They thrive on donations, both monetary as well as physical. Although I agree (to a point) that no museum will pony up 20Gs for a partial F94, that will most likely sit in a restoration area waiting its turn in the queue forever, I don’t believe this is the best caretaker choice for this opportunity, even if they were.

There are a lot of WWII types that were less than iconic that most here would trade a testicle for, if they had the opportunity to acquire one. If they had the will, they would overcome all obstacles to return it to the air. We have flying examples now that years ago every naysayer claimed would never fly again. And in most cases, they are the first in line at the air show ticket booth waiting to catch a glimpse of what they steadfastly deemed impossible years before.

In the early 1970’s, a CAF “Colonel” declared to me that vintage jets would never happen. Thankfully, some folks with the will overcame the obstacles, and made it happen. As will more to come.....

Cutlass Aeronautics, LLC
4863 E. Falcon Drive
Mesa, AZ 85215

“Restoring Aviation’s Cutting Edge”

Alcasby@projectcutlass.com
602-684-9371

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:50 pm 

Al,

Thank you for a great post.

We all wish you and the project the best for the new year!

Saving the rare ones is so so important.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:16 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

None of the above meant as a criticism: the Cutlass project rates as one of my Top 5 worldwide and I'd love the F-94 here to go the same way. However there is a point where the money does matter: it's why a lot of warbirds in Europe have made their way back to the USA over the years. They can't pay the bills there and like it or not, the IS a factor for a lot of people who put their money where their mouth is and try to do it. My hat is off to them for trying but it's a reality.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:50 am 

In case no one noticed.... There's a T-33 project for sale on Barnstormers....they are taking offers... It's not a flyer, but is pretty complete with a canned engine...it would probably make a good donor to complete the F-94.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quemerford...
The European jet warbird situation is more than just about money...or lack thereof.
Ever since the Hunter air show crash, I understand the UK CAA had been tighting the rules on jets, and perhaps insurance rates have gone up as well.
Hunters were grounded for quite awhile, even thought it was pretty clear early on the type was not at fault, and several Hunters have been parked or exported.

There is a lot of money in Europe for warbirds, but in the UK, people seem to only want to spend money on WWII fighters (preferably Spitfires, Hurricanes and Mustangs...as an illustration, there still isn't a flying Mosquito there).