Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:52 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I did a search but couldn't find a thread on this, did I miss something? Anyway, in discussion over at Key Pub
http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthre ... s-Up/page2

-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:16 pm 
KiwiZac

This is so weird, I could've sworn there was a thread here...now it's vanished!

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:53 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

With an "upright" Allison engine! Very impressive. :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:36 am 

I've seen this plane at Erickson a few times over the last six months or so. They do beautiful work!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:00 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

What else is there to say!!!!

As a young enthusiast.....the potential dream options to a German inverted V12 propulsion system in my head where....

- Running an Allison inverted....never seen it!!!

- Flugwerk had the first concept right with the 190D version.....hide it under the cowl with the proper location run down exhaust stacks..... Has not flown yet....

So....a HUGE bravo to what Erickson did......think about it.......They finally made a Buchon ''kind'' of look right!!!! hehe......And of course....shove your mouth and comments...it is FLYING....

This goes hand in hand with my perspective....originals are gone and do not exist......

LONG LIVE the repro's......And the vision of the individuals who get the job done....Merci and bravo....

Sincerely...
Congratulations to the team for their work....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:22 pm 
KiwiZac

Michel Lemieux wrote:
- Running an Allison inverted....never seen it!!!

And you STILL haven't!! :lol: It's upright with longer exhaust stacks.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... =786107998
https://www.facebook.com/eacmadras/phot ... 85/?type=3

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:09 am 

Super looking paint.

Tried to find it, but I can't find which pilot's a/c it represents. could someone tell me?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:13 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

As described elsewhere, the Allison engine is mounted upright, with the thrust-line and prop location all precisely the same as if a DB605 engine was installed, with stock late-model Bf-109G/K type cowlings installed/mounted to the airframe exactly as they are supposed to for an original late G/K (the ultimate dimensions of the single speed/single stage supercharged Allison and the fact that it has a downdraft carburetor allowed for all of this to work). The upper cowlings and oil tank cover are "Type 100" (as used on late G's and K) and the lower engine cowling is "Type 110" (as commonly associated with G-10's). Custom headers/exhaust, with protective wrapping, extend down to and out the stock DB605 exhaust locations, and the Allison oil coolers also have a custom setup to be installed in the stock 109 location. The cowlings are all original and were sourced from Europe - outwardly all completely stock, with only minor internal modifications for fit, and are correct for the Bf 109G-10. The canopy and tail were also newly-manufactured to Bf-109G-10 type specs.

The paintwork on the aircraft represents that of Hermann Graf (though it is the markings carried on his Bf-109G-6, quite a different variant to the G-10).

BTW, for those wondering, this aircraft was already being discussed here at WIX, but in a thread about all currently airworthy 109's: http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.o ... 9&start=45

Outwardly, the only real thing missing to complete the fantastic look of the Erickson Bf-109G-10 is a DF loop antenna.

The Erickson Buchon BEFORE:

The Erickson Buchon/Bf-109G-10 AFTER: (photo by Randy Malmstrom)

BEFORE:

AFTER: (photo by Randy Malmstrom - work was still in progress at the time this photo was taken. The entire aircraft received attention during the conversion, including being repainted internally with all the proper RLM colors and other Messerschmitt 109G-type details throughout, including the wings/wells, etc.)

Last edited by JohnTerrell on Tue May 02, 2017 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:58 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

First indication of the impressions of John Romain on test flying the Erickson Allison-engined Bf-109G-10 - it's a "lovely aeroplane": https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154267973065947&set=a.497010895946.266025.508430946&type=3&theater

Despite all of the modifications, Erickson still isn't really trying to hide the aircraft's true identity either - painted on the completed aircraft, right next to the N-number, is its Spanish identity and serial number. This aircraft joins the Collection's other very well done "replicas/reproductions", such as the world's only flying Japanese Oscar and the MeierMotors-produced/former Jerry Yagen Flugwerk Fw-190A (currently still under repair following a ground loop last spring, but should hopefully be flying again soon).

As taken from an early Warbirdsnews article about the Ericskon Buchon/Bf-109G-10 project, the greatest thing about it is that it can be flown on a regular basis, without having to worry about timing out the engine at just 150 hours (as would be the case with a DB605), while at the same time providing the pilot/operator the look and feel of an original -109G.

With regard to currently airworthy Bf-109's and Buchons in the world, we have:

- The Flying Heritage and Combat Armor Collection's Bf-109E (N342FH)
- The Military Aviation Museum's converted-Buchon/Bf-109G-4 (N109GY)
- The Erickson Aircraft Collection's converted-Buchon/Bf-109G-10 (N90602)
- Richard Lake's Buchon (G-AWHE)
- Historic Flying Ltd.'s Buchon (G-AWHK)
- Hangar10's converted-Buchon/Bf-109G-12 (D-FMGZ) - not currently flying, currently for sale
- Hangar10's Bf-109G-6 (D-FMGS) - completed, registered and ready to fly, but not yet flown, currently for sale

Currently reported as under repair, restoration, or overhaul to fly again:

- Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar Bf-109E (G-CIPB) - should hopefully be flying again this year(!)
- Planes of Fame Air Museum's Buchon (N700E)
- Messerschmitt Foundation converted-Buchon/Bf-109G-4 (D-FWME)
- Messerschmitt Foundation converted-Buchon/Bf-109G-10 (D-FDME)
- Messerschmitt Foundation converted-Buchon/Bf-109G-6 (D-FMBB)
- Question mark regarding the Vormezeele Buchon (OO-MAF) in Belgium - I have not heard of anything recent with regard to intent to fly or not. As I recall, it hasn't flown since around 1990, but work has been done within that time to better it/fly it again in the future(?).

A number of others of course under restoration to fly.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:39 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I would LOVE to see Planes of Fame work out a similar conversion for their Buchon. They even have a G model 109 in the collection to serve as a pattern aircraft! I would also love to see a similar conversion done to make a Fiat G.59 into a G.55 reproduction. That would be fantastic! Any Macchi airframes out there looking for a home??!!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:50 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I know it is upright and they made it look right with modified stacks....

But back then (not smart and not knowing) I was wondering if running an Allison inverted was possible for look alike recreations. Like motoring a Casa HE111 so it would "look" closer to the real McCoy...

Still VERY VERY impressed by what was done by the Erickson team did.....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:36 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

How do they cool the extra long stacks under the cowl?

https://www.classicwings.com/

Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ClassicWingsMagazine/

Preserved Axis Aircraft

http://www.classicwings.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:18 pm 
KiwiZac

JohnTerrell wrote:
- Question mark regarding the Vormezeele Buchon (OO-MAF) in Belgium - I have not heard of anything recent with regard to intent to fly or not. As I recall, it hasn't flown since around 1990, but work has been done within that time to better it/fly it again in the future(?).

From memory a wooden, taller late-109 tail (ex-K?) was fitted in the last decade or so to help with torque issues.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:59 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

DaveM2 wrote:
How do they cool the extra long stacks under the cowl?

The protective wrap he noted probably contains most of the heat. We used similar material in racing engines which enabled you to work around them without blistering yer knuckles or frying stuff riskily close...etc.

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:08 pm 

geek Question; Is the engine Cowl the same length as the original ? My eyes see it as being shorter ?? pop2 Time to see the 'ol eye Doc.! 8)