Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Oh No! NOT again!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:19 am 

Has Amelia Earhart's plane been found?
https://www.cnn.com/videos/tech/2013/05/31/ns-amelia-earhart-sonar.cnn

Post subject: Re: Oh No! NOT again!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:25 am 

Wait, is it their turn to find it?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:33 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

"we discovered the image months after we returned"... "And here we are 7000 miles away and needing to get back out there and need to raise a TON of money to do it!" Gawwrshh guys, we need to send this fella sum money!! Gonna drive my turnip truck straight over ta the bank...

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:37 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

This is why I drink.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:53 am 

Are you sure that's new? If you look at the date in the link it says May 31, 2013.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:37 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Yes that is serveral years old, before the "Faucet of Fame" well ran dry. They are more or less dead in the water now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:28 pm 

OD/NG wrote:
Are you sure that's new? If you look at the date in the link it says May 31, 2013.

My bad.

The date stamp was missing at the top of the article... I should have seen it embedded in the URL.

On the flip side, the video contains a 6 minute interview with Gillespie making a sale pitch for funds...

Finally, putting a face to all the controversy... :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:42 pm 

Left Seat wrote:
OD/NG wrote:

My bad.

The date stamp was missing at the top of the article... I should have seen it embedded in the URL.

On the flip side, the video contains a 6 minute interview with Gillespie making a sale pitch for funds...

Finally, putting a face to all the controversy... :roll:

No problem. Not putting dates on video articles are something that all news websites are guilty of, not just CNN. In the past, I would look at articles on a certain news site, then the "intelligence" in the search engine would automatically present articles and/or video features that were related to what I was reading. Sometimes the articles and/or video would be almost a decade old!

Welcome to the new reality of internet surfing where AI "forces", or "presents" articles/video based on your search engine criteria!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

For those of you who haven't been paying attention to this tawdry sago...

RG and his merry band recently and finally announced "case closed"... based not on finding any part of the aircraft...rather by comparing 1940 measurements of long lost bones found on Gardener Island to photos of AE...the photo expert involved is apparently the same guy who authenticated the (in)famous "Big Foot walking" home movie.
You couldn't make this stuff up.

Mind you, they earlier trashed the reputation of the doctor who made the measurements, I believe they hinted he was inept and a drunk.
That was in response to his official 1940 report (based on actually examining the bones), were he stated they were from a stocky Asian male.
Appently, they don't trust his "hands on" findings but believe he was competent enough to take reliable measurements.

Pretty circumstantial evidence...but enough for the group to claim success when combining it with the other bits of circumstantial evidence... shards of a "freckle cream" jar, metal (which turned out to be of WWII-era manufacture), a Sextant box, recently proven to be from a Navy ship, a shoe (when pointed out it was too large for AE to wear, it was then declared Fred's shoe, obviously worn by AE after the crash) and other bits.
All at the same time pretty much overlooking the various groups that inhabited the island since AE's time.

Also, I don't believe they ever accounted for the plane being down somewhere, but still intact enough and having the fuel to run a generator to power the radio to send the mysterious signals heard only by a school girl and written in her private notebook.
Said intact airplane (and crew) disappeared from the island by the time a Navy search plane reached the island a few days later.

so by all means let's declare "case closed" ...and while you are celebrating send them a check for their Glenn Miller expedition...apparently based on the word of a fishing crew saying they hauled up a high-wing single engine aircraft from the channel..complete with U.S. markings.
Again, no explanation on how a steel tube fuselage and wood wings....with fabric still attached...would survive intact after few decades in turbulent salt water and being accidentally raised from the deep, a process that has destroyed or damaged many metal airframes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:56 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

DOH!!! There was something about this article that seemed, "deja vu all over again"...but then again, all of tiggers notices do...

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:34 pm 

JohnB wrote:
For those of you who haven't been paying attention to this tawdry sago...

RG and his merry band recently and finally announced "case closed"... based not on finding any part of the aircraft...rather by comparing 1940 measurements of long lost bones found on Gardener Island to photos of AE...the photo expert involved is apparently the same guy who authenticated the (in)famous "Big Foot walking" home movie.
You couldn't make this stuff up.

Mind you, they earlier trashed the reputation of the doctor who made the measurements, I believe they hinted he was inept and a drunk.
That was in response to his official 1940 report (based on actually examining the bones), were he stated they were from a stocky Asian male.
Appently, they don't trust his "hands on" findings but believe he was competent enough to take reliable measurements.

Pretty circumstantial evidence...but enough for the group to claim success when combining it with the other bits of circumstantial evidence... shards of a "freckle cream" jar, metal (which turned out to be of WWII-era manufacture), a Sextant box, recently proven to be from a Navy ship, a shoe (when pointed out it was too large for AE to wear, it was then declared Fred's shoe, obviously worn by AE after the crash) and other bits.
All at the same time pretty much overlooking the various groups that inhabited the island since AE's time.

Also, I don't believe they ever accounted for the plane being down somewhere, but still intact enough and having the fuel to run a generator to power the radio to send the mysterious signals heard only by a school girl and written in her private notebook.
Said intact airplane (and crew) disappeared from the island by the time a Navy search plane reached the island a few days later.

so by all means let's declare "case closed" ...and while you are celebrating send them a check for their Glenn Miller expedition...apparently based on the word of a fishing crew saying they hauled up a high-wing single engine aircraft from the channel..complete with U.S. markings.
Again, no explanation on how a steel tube fuselage and wood wings....with fabric still attached...would survive intact after few decades in turbulent salt water and being accidentally raised from the deep, a process that has destroyed or damaged many metal airframes.

Hey not so fast. My middle granddaughter and I are in the planning stages for our bigfoot hunt. Remember bigfoot doesn't
NOT exist. To take a page from Mr. gillespie, we are now accepting funds that I 100% gaurantee will probably be used to huint bigfoot.
I now return this thread to it's rightful owner.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:53 pm 

L-188 wrote:
My middle granddaughter and I are in the planning stages for our bigfoot hunt....To take a page from Mr. Gillespie, we are now accepting funds that I 100% guarantee will probably be used to hunt bigfoot.

Below is a picture of the place where you should start...

Its about a 45 minute drive from where I live.

I'm sure that your "Go fund me" funding goals will be a whole lot lower and likelihood of finding Bigfoot will be a lot higher than Gillespie's fundraising and finding EA's Lockheed.
https://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/30231
World's only Bigfoot trap

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:32 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

https://seesdifferent.wordpress.com/201 ... a-earhart/

Titled: Bigfoot expert claims to have located Amelia Earhart.

Pretty good read and somewhat jocular. :drink3:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:29 pm 

PinecastleAAF wrote:
Bigfoot expert claims to have located Amelia Earhart.

The similarities are... frightening.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Even more surprising, Bigfoot has a MEL!