Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Lawrence Classics
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:14 am 

I know this has been discussed here a few times when the Tigercat changed hands, but does anyone know what/who Lawrence Classics is? For those that don’t know, it’s the entity (I guess) in Bentonville, AR that houses the Mustangs ‘Red Dog’ and ‘Was That Too Fast?’, the Super Corsair, and a Griffon Spitfire. They also own some of the GameBird aerobatic aircraft. I’ve been trying to do some research about them (mainly because I want to see if Race 57 might make Thunder), and I’ve found out they have a couple pilots, Ed Cyster being one of the main Mustang pilots, but that’s all I can gather. It’s an awesome collection I would love to see more active!

Post subject: Re: Lawrence Classics
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:25 am 

I believe Steuart Walton (grandson of Sam Walton) is behind Lawrence Classics. He is the money behind Gamebird, and he is an accomplished pilot in his own right.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:15 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Based on Facebook postings of Mustang, Super Corsair and Spitfire sightings over Bentonville through the past year, it would seem as though the collection is rather active, but perhaps only locally to where they are based(?). They had both of their Mustangs ("Was That Too Fast" and "Red Dog") at Oshkosh in 2015, but they were coming from Danville at the time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:41 pm 

JohnTerrell wrote:
Based on Facebook postings of Mustang, Super Corsair and Spitfire sightings over Bentonville through the past year, it would seem as though the collection is rather active, but perhaps only locally to where they are based(?). They had both of their Mustangs ("Was That Too Fast" and "Red Dog") at Oshkosh in 2015, but they were coming from Danville at the time.

This is true, yes. I’ve seen a few videos on Instagram of the Mustangs flying with the F2G, which again begs my question of who the pilots are! Good to know they still fly at the very least.

DB2 wrote:
I believe Steuart Walton (grandson of Sam Walton) is behind Lawrence Classics. He is the money behind Gamebird, and he is an accomplished pilot in his own right.

Thanks for the info, I knew it was one of the Walton’s, just wasn’t positive about the proper identity. Also wasn’t sure if he was a pilot or not. The GameBird part is a whole different topic at that. N66AK (the black and orange GB) started out as an Sbach 300 with reg. G-EVIL I believe? Did Walton start the company out abroad? Or is he just a financial backer of it?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:21 pm 

Obviously not warbird related...but here is a good article on the Gamebird:

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all ... mebird-gb1