Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:32 pm 

TBM Tony wrote:
Ed Likes wrote:
I would like to follow up with the same question someone else posted about the engines on the XP-82. I know the engines are extremely rare. Having said that does anyone know if the XP-82 has any back up engines whatsoever? Or are the 2 engines on the aircraft the only ones known to be in existence?
Also in regards to the XP-82 going to Russia I have it from a source who I consider to be in the know that rumor is just that a rumor no plans of it going there at all. I don't know if the XP-82 is for sale at this time.

O.K, here it goes fro me, several years ago I got a chance to talk to a "person" who works for a Texas Warbird Collection, & I asked about the XP-82. He said that, yes, the collector wants the XP-82. I HOPE he was/is right about that . I would LOVE to see it stay in the good old U.S.A esp. in Texas ! :D geek pop2
:shock: LET THE PITCHFORKS & TORCHES FLY !!! :twisted:

Don't get me wrong, would MUCH rather TX than Russia, but Dan and Rod's birds don't get out too much...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:15 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

TBM Tony wrote:
I would LOVE to see it stay in the good old U.S.A esp. in Texas !

I'd love for it to stay in the US too. I can't figure out why someone outside the US would really want one. The US is the only country that fielded them, so it isn't like great uncle Boris flew one in the Great Patriotic War, and a nephew wants to commemorate his service.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:48 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Kyleb wrote:
TBM Tony wrote:

I'd love for it to stay in the US too. I can't figure out why someone outside the US would really want one. The US is the only country that fielded them, so it isn't like great uncle Boris flew one in the Great Patriotic War, and a nephew wants to commemorate his service.

Look how many people in the U.S. want Axis birds flying here. How many U.S. warbirds fly in Germany? I'm not the least bit surprised someone overseas would want a P-82.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:16 pm 

:twisted: Of Course if "I" were a Filthy RICH Ru$$ian, I would buy it just to Paint it Russian Green & Gray with Red Stars ! :shock: :shock: JUST to P*** off everyone here ! :supz: :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:31 pm 

Why didn't it make it to Titusville Warbird Airshow this year? Heard various reasons from blown engine, to something more minor, to not enough training time by FAA. Wondering if it is going to Sun N Fun.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:50 pm 
Boeing666 wrote:
Why didn't it make it to Titusville Warbird Airshow this year? Heard various reasons from blown engine, to something more minor, to not enough training time by FAA. Wondering if it is going to Sun N Fun.

Left/Port Engine had low oil pressure readings and perhaps other issues day or two before it was to depart Georgia for Titusville. Engine has been removed, crated and shipped to California for inspection/overhaul, etc.

If the issue can be resolved and the engine sent back to Georgia in enough time to be refitted on the airplane and get in some successful test flight time, it might just make Sun 'n Fun, but probably better to not get hopes up too much.

A lot of us were very disappointed to not see the Twin Mustang in action last weekend at the TICO show, but without a doubt no one more than Tom Reilly whose team has done such a fantastic job restoring this unique warbird.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:21 pm 

jwc50 wrote:
Boeing666 wrote:

Left/Port Engine had low oil pressure readings and perhaps other issues day or two before it was to depart Georgia for Titusville. Engine has been removed, crated and shipped to California for inspection/overhaul, etc.

If the issue can be resolved and the engine sent back to Georgia in enough time to be refitted on the airplane and get in some successful test flight time, it might just make Sun 'n Fun, but probably better to not get hopes up too much.

A lot of us were very disappointed to not see the Twin Mustang in action last weekend at the TICO show, but without a doubt no one more than Tom Reilly whose team has done such a fantastic job restoring this unique warbird.

I would be impressed if they could turn it around that quick, best of luck to them, glad to hear it's nothing potentially catastrophic.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:05 am 

maxum96 wrote:
Kyleb wrote:
TBM Tony wrote:

Look how many people in the U.S. want Axis birds flying here. How many U.S. warbirds fly in Germany? I'm not the least bit surprised someone overseas would want a P-82.

Maybe the new owner of Lil' Margret wants to build his multi-engine time? Too soon?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:37 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

menards wrote:
Maybe the new owner of Lil' Margret wants to build his multi-engine time? Too soon?

No. That's actually a good one. :lol:

T J

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:19 pm 

Per sun n fun officials: the engine was hung on Tuesday and should make it to sun n fun barring anymore setbacks.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:07 am 

Awesome!!!
Looks like a great line up!
I will be at S & F....
Will be in the car show section Sat with A 67 Shelby GT350..
Stop by and say hi!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:36 am 

I know the XP-82 guys are busy, but if you have time would you have time to say what they found wrong with the engine? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:45 pm 

Posted by XP-82 guys
"As of right now, we are in the hands of our check ride pilot who is scheduled here on Wednesday; so the best case scenario for Sun n Fun is Wednesday afternoon. We will keep everyone updated as soon as possible. Thanks."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:33 am 

This photo got shared on the XP-82 Facebook page. Originally posted by Louisa Barendse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:51 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

That is one cool pic! Tks for sharing...U can even see the shadow below....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next