Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

(recent?) Low P-51 over the ocean

Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:28 am

Anybody here know if this is a real photo??

Jason

Re: (recent?) Low P-51 over the ocean

Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:48 am

I don't know?...can't get image to display.... have read the Announcements section "How do you post pictures again" photo posting instructions????

Sorry!

Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:30 am

Jason wrote:Anybody here know if this is a real photo??

Jason

You can see the pic here:

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/jac ... MTY=/?ref=

Not sure if it's real or not. What would it have been taken from?

Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:44 am

This Mustang was owned by Jim Read and based in Indiana. This photo was taken several years ago and there was quite a bit of debate as to if was real or photo-shopped. It looks real to me as the shadow on the water is not distorted as it would be if the plane was off the water more. There was also many who railed the pilot of the plane as well which was reported to be Dale Snodgrass (Former F14 fighter pilot during his Navy Career) I know that Dale Flew Jim's planes fairly regularly when Jim owned them so most likely was Dale in this photo.

Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:45 am

Snake45 wrote:
Jason wrote:Anybody here know if this is a real photo??

Jason

You can see the pic here:

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/jac ... MTY=/?ref=

Not sure if it's real or not. What would it have been taken from?

You'd think there would be more disturbance of the water surface.

Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:59 pm

Its real

And a normal pass

And no
Zero disturbances
Until AFTER the aircraft creates turbulence from already passing that particular spot

Basic basic

Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:50 pm

Decamara wrote:Its real

And a normal pass

And no
Zero disturbances
Until AFTER the aircraft creates turbulence from already passing that particular spot

Basic basic

"Basic basic"? Is that snark?

So I will say that there's water behind the aircraft to the right of the picture that that is undisturbed as well. So tell us how much behind an airplane, for a given speed, the disturbances will appear.

Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:07 pm

The photo, posted numerous times to Facebook over the years, is more than 11 years old now, taken at Jacksonville, FL in 2007. The pilot was Dale Snodgrass, and the aircraft, which was owned by Jim Reed at the time, was sold in 2011 and has been based in the Czech Republic for the last 7 years or so.

There are more photos of this low pass that can be seen here: http://www.aero-pix.com/jax07/hf/ppage.htm

Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:18 pm

Looks real to me, I agree the wake would be visible behind the aircraft.

Not a fan of the low-flying stunt...silly to fly a plane that low.
Good way to get yourself killed and wreck an aeroplane...
whatever the pilot's skills and resume.

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:41 pm

Low Mustang_zpsblzwq8vs.jpg
Low Mustang_zpsblzwq8vs.jpg (30.74 KiB) Viewed 1424 times

Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:01 pm

That's nothing. He went way lower than that in an F-86 in Tucson.

Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:49 am

Dale Snodgrass has been known for low flying for a very long time. Here are some pictures of him in action over the years:

Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:03 am

RobC wrote:That's nothing. He went way lower than that in an F-86 in Tucson.

Yep, he went so low that he landed gear up.

https://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/briefs/192245-1.html

Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:14 am

I haven't seen Dale perform any airshow displays in Mustangs for about the last 9 years now. Of course another Mustang he was well known for flying was "Glamorous Gal" when it was owned by the Baranaskas family, as seen in OD/NG's post (sold in 2012 and restored and repainted as "Frances Dell").

Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:13 am

JohnTerrell wrote:I haven't seen Dale perform any airshow displays in Mustangs for about the last 9 years now. Of course another Mustang he was well known for flying was "Glamorous Gal" when it was owned by the Baranaskas family, as seen in OD/NG's post (sold in 2012 and restored and repainted as "Frances Dell").

Come to think of it, I haven't seen him perform in any airshows in recent years. Does anybody know if he retired from the airshow biz?
Post a reply