Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:24 am 

I wanted to spin off the main display project thread to shift research and technical discussion to a dedicated thread.

Of the last year, a few research topic items have changed my perspective regarding information, within the published literary books of recent memory. Work has started with an informal research journal to resolve the issues with primary sources. The journal will be dedicated to aircraft design and manufacturing without extraneous topics. To define the principles and methods used, I’ll likely start with chronological order of organization before Ford was involved.

My current tinker project is moving my CAD data from Inventor to SolidWorks, to rid of the surfacing and spline problems, found within Inventor’s poor spline implementation. The current plan only includes creating a complete surfing model of the airframe and aerodynamic surfaces. When the surfacing is completed with current resources, I’ll explore future options next. During the process, I’ll look at the Davis airfoil information within the patent US2281272A. This is one of two airfoil patents David R. Davis created while tinkering with airfoils. The tail aerodynamic surfaces will have to be shorted out while looking at part drawings. No aerodynamic surfacing data was ever archived, with any drawing sets, from any vendor. Current sources of Airfoil data was discovered to be unreliable with my archives.

Someday I would like to look at the last cache of lost documents, within the archives scattered around DC. Along with other documents the Army Air Force had acquired, and shared between Consolidated and Ford. Finding the Master Change Record of design/engineering changes is high on the wish list. Plant documents regarding the Tool and Die department are highly desired, as I have no method and process information or sources.

Discussion of surviving hardware and lost postwar assets can occur here. I’ll also analyze the surviving structural condition of crash sites. Hopefully, the thread can serve as a location of acquiring sources. As with the other threads, I’ll use Imgur for hosting.

While my attention is focused with museum projects, my current small scale projects are still active.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:57 am 

Fuselage Surfacing Near Complete

The last few months of 2017 were the most active creating the new improved CAD model, now more flexible to make changes of contour data and surfing adjustments. Additional data were added to model where the GK32B1003 drawing does not contain.

Late 2017:

Current geometry for surfacing:

One example of adding data.
The tail deck stamping contour, from full-size drawing tracing:

Complete fuselage surface:

Tentative upper and lower Wing surfaces, between spars:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:21 am 

WOW!! WOW!!
Now, lemme think... Call some sheet metal fabricators, and bid for quotes on 1, 3 and 5 examples... ;)
Next, an engine and then the cap that cover the yoke bolts in the cockpit - seriously, though, excellent work!

MRK

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:18 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

emarkay wrote:
WOW!! WOW!!
Now, lemme think... Call some sheet metal fabricators, and bid for quotes on 1, 3 and 5 examples... ;)
Next, an engine and then the cap that cover the yoke bolts in the cockpit - seriously, though, excellent work!

MRK

Agreed - Wendover will put in for one of the new builds. . . pop2

Tom P.