Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

These are by far my most favorite PM's. I'm certainly no expert or authority but I'm always honored to try to find what I can for the vets and families.

"On Remembrance Sunday last year whilst attending a local service, I met for the first time Mike, the son of a decorated Typhoon pilot who sadly died during the Normandy campaign, shot down just south of Caen on the very day he was due to be granted leave. The pilots name was J.R Collins, known as Jack and squadron leader of 245 squadron, decorated DFC and bar. His son Mike was just 4 years old when dad died, never knew him and knew little of his dad's service until 40 years later when he first met pilots who served with him. He has no log book and so no real record of his dad's service, very few photos and just 1 grainy photo of him sitting on his dad's knee with fellow squadron pilots.
I and my son Bailey have become friends with Mike and his wife since and I know Mike is heading to France for the 75th Anniversary of D Day, of course also 75 years since his dad died and by which time he will be 80 years old."

Mike Collins, son of Squadron Leader J R Jack Collins - Typhoon pilot in 245 Squadron, speaking at the unveiling of a monument to his father killed on August 11th 1944 in Cintheaux, Normandy.

RIP Sqdn. Ldr. Collins, you are not forgotten and never, ever will be. A hero beyond words ...

Sqn Ldr (Squadron Leader) John Russell (Jack) Collins DFC in Typhoon 1b (MN819) MR-? from 245 Squadron at Holmsley South.

Below are a few photos of Typhoons of No. 245 Squadron and a couple of nice renderings created by one of the modeling companies.

Last edited by Mark Allen M on Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Here's the beautiful Hawker Typhoon Mk. IB MN235 located (if not still on loan to Canada if I recall) at the RAF Museum.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:36 am 

I took a holiday in Caen last year and saw this replica Typhoon in the lobby of the Memorial de Caen war museum. Don't laugh at me, but I thought it was real until I looked it up on my iPad. Fine museum, BTW, and the town is a marvelous place to visit.

Love the Typhoon more than the more glamorous types, but I'm also a Jug man.

Attachments:
Typhoon.jpg
Typhoon.jpg [ 148.96 KiB | Viewed 1459 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:02 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I always enjoy another chance to look upon the Napier Sabre Typhoon or Tempest. Thanks Mark and Richard W.! RIP Sqdn Leader Collins. Sure would like to hear the sound of an H-24 engine in flight again someday. That's gonna take someone with major expendable bux and the will to make that happen. I wonder how many aircraft Paul Allen saved by NOT falling in love with the idea of a flying Napier Sabre? :shock:

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:11 pm 

Hello all Normandy fans.
I am Mike Collins, son of Jack, pictures above, it's great to see so much interest in 245 Squadron.
I have just signed up today.
As this year is the 75th anniversary of my father's death Pauline and I are going to Normandy in May (to avoid the crowds in June).
Looking forward to it

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:14 pm 

Hello Mike. Welcome to the group.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:19 pm 

Thanks Richard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:38 pm 

[quote="Mark Allen M"]Here's the beautiful Hawker Typhoon Mk. IB MN235 located (if not still on loan to Canada if I recall) at the RAF Museum.

The airframe is back in the UK And on display at the RAF Museum in London following the Canadian display.
I think a lot of us already know that it was this original last of its kind airframe was once in the collection of the Smithsonian NASM and traded on the request of the RAF Museum for the Hurricane now at the Udvar-Hazy Center.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:00 pm 

Most definitely back at Hendon, have several photographs from 2 weeks ago. completely reassembled and back on display just infront of the spitfire LF.XV1E you can sit in..for a small donation to the museum

if i knew how to post the photos id be happy to share with the community if of interest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

MikeCollins61 wrote:
Hello all Normandy fans.
I am Mike Collins, son of Jack, pictures above, it's great to see so much interest in 245 Squadron.
I have just signed up today.
As this year is the 75th anniversary of my father's death Pauline and I are going to Normandy in May (to avoid the crowds in June).
Looking forward to it

Welcome Mike, it's a great pleasure to have you aboard. Your father's service and sacrifice has not been, and never will be, forgotten.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:41 pm 

Hello Mike.

In case you're still watching this, we went to Ranville War Cemetery for the Armistice ceremony. We also held a short service at your father's grave and went by the memorial. If you want I have a few photographs and a short clip of the occasion.

Kind regards

Tim

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:52 pm 

Hi Tim
i know Mike so will send him a message to log into WIX as thats a lovely post thankyou

separately you and others may be interested in this link which contains a video Mike did with the Normandy Association earlier this year about his father

https://www.normandymemorialtrust.org/d ... s-dfc-bar/

regards

Clive

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:01 am 

HelloTim
I am honoured that you have visited my father's grave in Ranville, thank you from the bottom of my heart. You are right that I do not visit WIX very often but luckily I was tipped off about your message. I would love to see your photographs maybe you could attach them to an email to me?
I am very interested in getting seats to the opening next year of the new Normandy memorial in Vers Sur Mer, and keeping my fingers crossed.
With very best wishes
Mike Collins

Last edited by MikeCollins61 on Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:57 am 

Hello Mike.

Thanks for your response, I will send you an e-mail. Maybe best to remove your email adress from the forum now? You know, with spam and all…

Many thanks everyone for your help, much appreciated!

Tim

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:02 pm 

Thanks
:D