Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Plane Savers Youtube series by Buffalo Airways

Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:29 am

Mikey from Buffalo Airways has been posting almost daily updates on Youtube of their latest project. They are attempting to return a neglected D-Day vet C-47 to flight by June 6th of this year.

It's pretty entertaining, the videos are short and informative. I'm enjoying them more than I enjoyed Ice Pilots, no "made for TV drama."

Turns out Buffalo owns three D-Day Vet C-47's.

Re: Plane Savers Youtube series by Buffalo Airways

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:15 am

I've been watching it, too! I agree, much better than the "made for tv" show........

Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:25 pm

Been watching it but for me not enough (yet?) about the return to flight of their 'new' D-Day machine.

Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:08 pm

There's not much to say yet. They've figured out what it needs, they're pulling all the parts needed, and getting ready to start work. Mikey said that the plane is now in a hangar, so we'll probably see some updates on that soon. I figure it'll be a slow start since he's doing near daily uploads through the process, but once everything's in order and heads down to Quebec, we'll see a lot more on it.

Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:43 pm

Probably not enough work being done on the C-47 to feature it in the daily update. I'm certainly enjoying all of the other little histories and stuff.

Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:41 pm

Always enjoyable to see more of Buffalo Joe, truly a one of a kind character!

Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:00 pm

I have been watching as well. I'm looking forward to getting some bling from the Miss Montana C-47 group. Mikey's Plane Saver C-47 went for some crazy money on eBay.

Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:46 am

The "biplane" he spotted in the hangar is an American built version of a de Havilland Moth.
It was built by the Moth Aircraft Corp. in New Lowell Mass.
This particular machine is likely the most original remaining example of its type.
It is on permanent loan and is not ever likely to be flown again.

Andy

Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:38 pm

DH82EH wrote:The "biplane" he spotted in the hangar is an American built version of a de Havilland Moth.
It was built by the Moth Aircraft Corp. in New Lowell Mass.
This particular machine is likely the most original remaining example of its type.
It is on permanent loan and is not ever likely to be flown again.

Andy

What episode was that Andy? Aerofiles.com doesn't have a photo...course I guess if you've seen one DH.60 you've seen 'em all.. :D I believe Yanks Air Museum has an American built one still.
Back on topic...yup enjoying Plane Savers and surprises and info along the way. Neat project!

Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:41 pm

It's in episode #24 "DC-3 Parts Shopping"

Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:42 pm

CAPFlyer wrote:It's in episode #24 "DC-3 Parts Shopping"

Cool, thanks! Museum of Mountain Flying...

Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:39 pm

Yeah, that's the episode. Sorry for not specifying.
They were talking about trading for parts and Joe spotted "a biplane in the background".
He wasn't sure what it was, but expressed interest.

Andy

Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:57 am

Back in the day we used to call these non-DH moths 'Metal Moth' - is that a correct nomenclature?

Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:28 am

quemerford wrote:Back in the day we used to call these non-DH moths 'Metal Moth' - is that a correct nomenclature?

I thought "Metal Moth" referred to all the steel tube fuse DH.60's regardless of manufacture.

Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:34 am

Airnutz be me to it as I was typing this up!

The "Metal moth" has a steel tube fuselage structure. (yes, regardless of manufacturer they even experimented with metal wing structure)
Some of these were built in the U.K. and by the looks of the photos I've seen, N617V (the moth in question) has a tube fuselage.
The original DH60's were, of course, all wood.
I saw one being rebuilt and was astonished to see the engine bearers made of Ash!
I've had the pleasure to fly a wooden Gipsy Moth. Even though there is significantly less power than a Tiger Moth, it is so much lighter, that the performance is way better! Lighter, less drag, very well balanced. The Captain sure got that one right!
The steel tube structure was much more durable, for doing things like exploring the Canadian north on floats or skis. Some of those were partly built and assembled at Downsview Ontario.

Sorry for the thread drift :oops:
Post a reply