Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Photos: WWII Stearman accidents at NAS Glenview

Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:32 pm

These are pages from a booklet entitled Dilberts Still Fly, produced by the Aviation Safety Board at NAS Glenview. It shows the causes and results of 28 different wartime accidents at the base involving the N2S trainer. Note the various markings, as well as the winter cowlings on some of the aircraft (some also have canopy rails).

Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:52 pm

Any idea of the colors of these aircraft?
Were they marked with "NAS Glenview" in any way?
Thx,
Vlado

Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:54 pm

I always felt very safe flying my Stearman! :-)

markings

Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:28 am

Any idea of the colors of these aircraft?
Were they marked with "NAS Glenview" in any way?
Thx,
Vlado

It looks like all of them were painted yellow; at least three have the top third of the rudder painted a darker color. None of them have "Glenview", but many of them vary in the size and position of the star & bar insignia. Most have the word "Navy" on the rear of the fuselage. As far as BuNos, four were legible: 07833, 38348, 38352 and 38357.

Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:45 am

I'd say from 41 to 44 time frame, since some of them had the stars and bars. Whew no N3N's. I know Glenview had a few. Ours was there a short time.

Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:12 pm

RIP Glenview NAS...

Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:17 pm

Chris,

I own Stearman Bu No. 38159 based at NAS Glenview from '43 to '45. That booklet appears to be a treasure. Do you know how I could get a copy?

Thanks in advance,

Greg Pfister

Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:02 pm

:lol:
Love the percentages at the bottom.

Re: Photos: WWII Stearman accidents at NAS Glenview

Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:55 am

Sir:

I realize it has been somtime since you posted this but would appreciate it if you could provide any further information from the booklet from the Glenview NAS Safety Board. I have been researching my Uncle's service in the Navy duirng WWII. He was killed in a mid-air collision with another N2s at the end of the airfield. I am wondering if his crash is included in the booklet.

Four were killed in the collission which occured I believe in December 1943??

Many thanks,

Tom

Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:09 pm

Hi Tom

I've digitized the whole booklet and I'll check it when I get home. As you can see there are no specific dates or names but if one of the descriptions is right I'll post it.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:11 pm

Many thanks I appreciate it.

v/r

Tom

Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:30 pm

One common theme - seatbelts and shoulder harnesses are quite effective

Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:00 pm

I'm sorry, it was hard to hear you over N3N Jeff giggling like a little girl and clapping :lol:
Jeff, how are you getting along?

Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:32 am

I'd bet most of the pilots in those accidents posted above were washed out as a result.

TM
Post a reply