Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:45 pm 

I've posted this over at the Keypublishing forum but this may be the better place for this query.

Having just finished reading "Dumb but Lucky" by Richard Curtis about his experiences during WWII I have a question over what sort of plane he is likely to be talking about at the end when, post war, he is tasked on flying various aircraft into storage. At the end of the book he talks about his last flight and describes

Quote:
For it was a miniature single seat job with it's wings clipped to give it the extra speed needed for takeoff and landing, and boosted the stalling speed to over 100mph.

He also calls them
Quote:
souped up hummingbirds

and they were used during AT-6 training. Any ideas apart from the usual high(er) performance fighters used?

Rick

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:44 am 

It is possible he was talking about a QP-13. These planes were very small and were powered by little Franklin motors. In my opinion they look like humming birds a little. My uncle owned one but it never flew. I sat in it many times as a kid and it felt small.

Adam Kline

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:31 am 

I think you are talking about the Culver PQ 14. Target drone that had a cockpit and after the war a few got out. Had the Franklin engine but dont know about a 100 mph stalling speed but it was fast for the HP.

Here is a pic of one off Wikipedia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:29 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The PQ-14 takes A LOT of runway on takeoff too... If you want one, http://flightplanet.com/airplane-for-sale/culver/pq-14-cadet__726.php... I always thought that it would be a good restoration project to restore one with all of the original equipment onboard, though you can't see most of it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That PQ-14 in Sissismippi has averged 1.59 hr/yr.?? Once around the patch twice a year? a shame.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:14 pm 

The Inspector wrote:
That PQ-14 in Sissismippi has averged 1.59 hr/yr.?? Once around the patch twice a year? a shame.

Did you also notice it has a Franklin O 300 on it. Thats a 150 hp 6 banger. I imagine that thing would really go. Might be why so low hours. Once around the patch...recover from fright and repeat annually.

Also I dont think the 41-20338 is correct for the aircraft.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:21 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Baugher shows that serial as a PT-19
42-20338 is a lend lease P-39Q-5 and 43-20338 is from a cancelled block

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:58 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

120338 is this airplane's Navy Bureau Number. It seems to be the last TD2C-1 contracted for.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:11 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

orange painted p- 63 pi balls w/ lights to signal hits from the frangible bullets. ( fyi...... more than 1 friendly plane was shot down with the frangy bullets)

the culver pic has to be from the ohio historical society / former lane aviation museum.]

bt 13

vultee vengeance.............. all the pud knockers, hacks, hangar queens etc

b-18.

i'm only naming a few!!! i'd love to get my hands on an early target kite w/ axis silhouette i.d. aircraft.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

tom d. friedman wrote:
orange painted p- 63 pin balls w/ lights to signal hits from the frangible bullets. ( fyi...... more than 1 friendly plane was shot down with the frangy bullets)

the culver pic has to be from the ohio historical society / former lane aviation museum.]

bt 13

vultee vengeance.............. all the pud knockers, hacks, hangar queens etc

b-18.

i'm only naming a few!!! i'd love to get my hands on an early target kite w/ axis silhouette i.d. aircraft.

oops sorry about the double post, tried to delete, but to know avail.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:59 am 

I'd never heard of the Pinball planes until doing some reading around trying to work this one out.

That must have taken some guts, not only do you have some trainee pilot shooting at you with live ammo (yes, I know they were not standard rounds, but still) but I'd also imagine that a number of them would get target fixated as well so you would get some close shaves from the aircraft themselves.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

the pin ball p-63's were extra well armored. if i had flown 1 back then, & with my luck that's the duty i would have been drawn, i would have made certain i was on good terms with the parachute packer!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:34 pm 

I know you are talking about p-63 target tugs, but remember that the PQ-14 was radio controlled. The pilot seat was for ferrying only. I sure would like to have seen my uncle's fly. Most of the plane was destroyed in a flood of Corona airport in 2005. It was all wood and I would think a frag bullet would go right through it. What I want to know is how many survived after there first flight. I don't think they ever intended to land one while under radio control. I think the stall speed was
just under 90mph. The flaps were so small maybe 7"x36" I don't think they would slow it down more than a few mph.
Adam Kline

-