Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:00 pm 

Trying to research more on Airshow SB2C NX67858 and the pilot, who may have wrecked the plane in St George Utah on June 22, 1947. Apparently a young girl was killed when a “light plane” went off the runway and wrecked a few cars. It seems it may have been the Helldiver to me, but I don’t know. There were pictures posted on the wix of the plane a while back, and I am trying to track down the obit on Mrs King, who appears to have had several crashes over her career. She must have been a fascinating person. Any help is appreciated, and especially any pictures of the SB2C or family information. Still haven’t tracked her obit or family tree down. Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:32 pm 

As a follow up, also researching Marge Hubert, a WASP who after WWII set the women’s air speed record in a Corsair. Researching her a bit and looking for where her plane might be, the Hubert Hurricane NX1223. I understand it may be extant and under review for restoration...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurlburt_Hurricane

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That sounded familiar ...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:37 pm 

Mark,

Thank you so much for the pictures. Bernadine Lewis King was 36 when she had the accident in St George, Utah, and I am sure was heartbroken over the death of a spectator.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=o ... rash&hl=en

It was not her first crash in Utah, she wrecked a Fleet biplane in 1940 and was seriously injured doing acro flying. She also crashed in 1937 near Bakersfield while flying without clothes on (sunbathing) until her crankshaft broke. She hurriedly dressed and put the airplane down off airport. She seems to have been an interesting woman. Her brother was named Joe, and Joe Lewis is listed on the DM site.

https://dmairfield.com/people/lewis_jo/index.html

Kinda interesting. Sadly the SB2C was perhaps broken up in St. George, but it’s hard to believe that a tough center section like that would be scrapped there at that time. Sure would love to see the N numbers of the SNJs....

As an aside, the car is a 1946 Chrysler Town and Country convertible, and was rare and expensive for its day. A car truly for Hollywood, they cost about $3,000.00 and are still pretty valuable today. As for the “beast”, I think there has to be a neat story on that plane...

Joe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:41 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

As an aside, I'm surprised that post-war air show performers wore those Roscoe Turner-like uniforms.
I would have thought aviation, because so many people were involved with it in the war, would have been less glamorous/show biz-like by the late 40s.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:34 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

As posted in a previous thread here.

Quote:
The people (Wilson-King All American Airshows) are:

Bill Lear Jr. (P-38).
Cliff Hicks (AT-6).
Bob Wilson (Head Honcho).
Bernadine King (SB2C).
Don Hackett (AT-6).
"Wild Bill" Talbot (AT-6).

Photo shot at Fullerton, CA on June 10, 1947 according to the late Bill Lear Jr.

A couple of weeks later things ended bad for the All American Airshow group.

A teenage spectator, Dolores Woodbury, was killed at the Wilson-King Sky Show at the St. George Municipal Airport. Mrs. Joe White and her infant daughter were were also injured, when a light plane involved with the airshow experienced brake failure on landing and crashed into cars parked at the edge of the airfield. The pilot, Bernadine Lewis King, was also injured.

That is if you consider an SB2C a light plane...

According to Lear in his book the group left St. George ten steps ahead of a posse in the middle of the night. Airplanes were all painted red/ white/ blue.

T J

Not a long- lasting venture apparently.

T J

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:45 am 

Given the three blade prop and spinner this might actually have been the A-25 variant and not an SB2C.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:04 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

my mother had one of these, 1946 Chrysler Town and Country convertible, thanks for reminding me

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:13 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

This is a previous post, but all the pictures have been removed; http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=57958

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:04 am 

Given that the Helldiver has a 3- bladed prop I would say that it is a SB2C-3...or earlier. The tail arrestor hook appears to be missing but probably removed as a weight saving issue. Is it an early A-25? I do recall that the A-25's were characterized with oversized wheels/ tires and enlarged wheel wells. I would have to see similar shot of a known A-25 to make the comparison.

Interesting that the photo taken at Fullerton, CA airport which was a Navy OLF to NAAS Los Alamitos during the war.

JDV

www.fuselagecodes.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:18 pm 

I am not really sure the pictures were taken there. I sure think Fullerton would be difficult in an SB2C.

As to the model....I’m leaning toward A-25 also...

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/CA/Air ... geCo_C.htm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:38 am 

Checking pics it is an A-25A Shrike with "fat" wheels and three bladed prop. SB2C's all appear to have "skinny" wheels and mostly four bladed props..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:30 am 

I have a photo of a head -on view of a Navy SB2C and it indeed does have 'skinny' tires. So I have to agree with the fact that it is an A-25. The burley tires give it away.

If I knew how to submit photos to this website I would do so but …

JDV
www.fuselagecodes.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:46 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

jdvoss wrote:
I have a photo of a head -on view of a Navy SB2C and it indeed does have 'skinny' tires. So I have to agree with the fact that it is an A-25. The burley tires give it away.

If I knew how to submit photos to this website I would do so but …

JDV
http://www.fuselagecodes.com

Email it to me and I'll do it. I have a new/old B-25 fuselage code photo I've been meaning to send you as well...

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I recall reading that a Navy aircraft (SBD?) had solid tailwheel whereas the similar USAAF aircraft (A-24?) had pnumatics.
Same theory with SB2Cs/A-25s having different main wheels? (Not that I'm saying Helldivers had soild mainwheels, just skinny mains).