Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:45 pm 

The XP-82 has been one of those restorations that we all knew would be the star of any show it goes to as it’s just that special. The F-82 will more than likely do the same especially since it has Allisons, a different sound than the XP!

So that being said, what are the best restorations that will have that polarizing effect that the Twin Mustang has??? (If ANY?!)

The restoration was very well documented and followed by the community. It might be hard to top this sort of excitement.

In my opinion there are a few options here, the XP-51G could be a stunner sometime down the road, the P-61 will definitely be special, and for me the Tsunami unlimited restoration will definitely be a huge one. The Typhoon/Tempest will surely be another polarizing warbird as well!

Any others from WIX...?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:08 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Of the major projects taking shape, I'm very eager to see the B-17G "Champaign Lady" continue to progress ever nearer to completion - of all those currently being restored or being built to fly, it seems as though it will be the first to be completed/fly, and it will be an amazing sight to see, especially given what they had to start with. A herculean effort, and it is a gorgeous aircraft already.

The de Havilland Hornet and various Hawker Tempest projects will be fantastic to see if/when completed and flying - it has been wonderful to see the continuing progress being made on Tempest MW376 in Canada, which could very likely be the first of the Tempest projects to fly (it is really advancing along with good amount of drive). The Pat Harker F-82E, MAAM P-61, and FHCAM Stuka are very eagerly anticipated by me, as soon-to-be and eventual significant additions to the flying warbird population. It will also be really something to see, perhaps as early as this year, the Collings Foundation's Fw-190F completed and flying, which will be only the second true 190 flying, and powered by a BMW 801 engine. I also keep hoping to see some news on the FHCAM Me-262, another monumental restoration. The Fagen SB2C Helldiver and Jim Slattery SB2C Helldiver projects also really highly anticipated seeing completed/fly. And then there is Chuck Wahl's birdcage F4U-1, that with every authentic detail going into making it exact in every way, will be very unique and fantastic to see when completed/operational. Also can't help but think of the B-25 projects (my favorite warbird) currently underway to fly - including the EAA's "Berlin Express", Warbirds of Glory's "Sandbar Mitchell", the Hearst Family's Howard Hughes B-25C, Kevin Hooey's "Old Ironsides III" (another ex-Soplata aircraft), and "Huaira Bajo" in Argentina.

Last edited by JohnTerrell on Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:09 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Maybe the next flying Helldiver? Although I'm partial to the B-17C project :D .

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:14 pm 

Great list with some mentions I forgot about! The Stuka and ME-262 are very important, I’m just hesitant in being too excited about FHCAM birds as they will more than likely never be flown to a large span of shows with huge audiences like the XP-82 plans on, and Doc has the past few years!

All of the Collings restorations are on my looking forward to list. Really hope to see the Hellcat, reworked P-38, and FW-190 soon! Still haven’t seen the A-36 or Tomahawk yet either.

Out of your list though the Stuka will probably be the next main attraction to hit the sky!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:23 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

JohnTerrell wrote:
Of the major projects taking shape, I'm very eager to see the B-17G "Champaign Lady" continue to progress ever nearer to completion

Agreed. Now what's the book on which B-17E will fly first - 41-2595 Desert Rat/Tangerine or 41-9210? :rolleyes:

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:32 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

As long as they remain rare, it is always going to be monumental to see another of the Axis warbirds flying - for instance, the Legend Flyers A6M3-32 Zero and Jerry Yagen's Tony to name a couple more in addition to those I mentioned previously. It has been wonderful to follow along in some of the progress of Bruce Winter's original Bf-109G-6, undergoing restoration to fly at Midwest Aero. From what I've seen, it would seem as though within a year or so it is going to be looking very complete. And I know I'm just one of a great many that are always eager to see the next fantastic update from Chuck Cravens/AirCorps Aviation on their 100% authentic restoration of the razorback P-47D for Bruce Eames/Dakota Territory Air Museum - I believe the estimate is that it will be completed/flying in a couple years from now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What is "Old Ironsides III"?

I miss the updates from Urbana on Champaign Lady.
How is it progressing?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:26 pm 

JohnB wrote:
I miss the updates from Urbana on Champaign Lady.
How is it progressing?
They post regular updates on Facebook.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:50 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

All of the aforementioned projects are exciting, some of them are VERY exciting. I am a real Grumman fanatic though and particularly so when it comes to the Hellcat. Thus I am very, very glad to see a bit of a resurgence in the type and the restoration of the F6F-3 by Vintage Airframes for Jack Croul is much anticipated. Having seen "Dottie Mae" to say I am excited at the idea of seeing a Hellcat finished to a similar level of authenticity is an understatement. Bring it on!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:53 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The MAAM P-61.

pop2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:50 am 

Not sure I'd get too wound up about the XP-51G, as if the longstanding plans for its restoration still hold, it's going to end up being little more than a replica of itself, basically being more of an old school 1960's style rebuild, with whatever parts can be cobbled together (whether accurate to the type or not), instead of the hyper-accurate, CAD-driven restorations we see coming out of workshops today (e.g. the XP-82, etc.).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:09 am 

Lon Moer wrote:
The MAAM P-61.

pop2

I agree, I was at the museum last September and it's getting a lot closer all the time

It will be a true show-stopper once it hits the circut

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:44 am 

hbtcoveralls wrote:
Lon Moer wrote:
The MAAM P-61.

pop2

I agree, I was at the museum last September and it's getting a lot closer all the time

It's at least another decade or more before it flies.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:38 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

JohnTerrell wrote:
...Tempest MW376 in Canada, which could very likely be the first of the Tempest projects to fly...

I'd bet money that Graham Peacock's will fly first, and by a considerable margin.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:56 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

OD/NG wrote:
hbtcoveralls wrote:
Lon Moer wrote:
The MAAM P-61.

pop2

It's at least another decade or more before it flies.

"...at least another decade or more"? On what basis?