Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: N9MB crash confirmed :-(

Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:23 pm

Here is Jack's interview with Cleat Roberts from 1979 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui_o257DZE0 Lots of the comments on the youtube are wrong too. Especially that Northrop couldn't talk or walk towards the end of his life. He had Parkinsons and was unstable, but he did like to talk.

Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:43 am

Adam Kline wrote:Especially that Northrop couldn't talk or walk towards the end of his life. He had Parkinsons and was unstable, but he did like to talk.
I saw him speak at an IPMS meeting around 1980. He was in a wheelchair but spoke quite well.

Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:07 pm

Good stuff on flying all related Northop flying wings: Northrop Flying Wing Flight Testing from N-1 to B-2

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:17 pm

marine air wrote:The B-2’s computers keep it from flying below a set flying speed. They don’t stall the airplane.

How do they land it?

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:41 pm

menards wrote:
marine air wrote:The B-2’s computers keep it from flying below a set flying speed. They don’t stall the airplane.

How do they land it?

I guess above stall speed. Sorta like most aircraft.

Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:17 am

Pogmusic wrote:
menards wrote:

How do they land it?

I guess above stall speed. Sorta like most aircraft.

Sorta like most aircraft? Don't most (all) aircraft stall in the flare?

Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:12 pm

menards wrote:Sorta like most aircraft? Don't most (all) aircraft stall in the flare?

No, every aircraft is different. Some aircraft are landed prior to stall, some during the stall, and some in a full stall. Aircraft and aerodynamics are so different among designs that one can't make blanket statements concerning it.

Wed May 01, 2019 7:20 am

When I land the Ercoupe it is not in a stall, you can be close, but if it stalls it has a very large sink rate, but when I land a Citabria, it is in a stall

Wed May 01, 2019 8:16 am

Landing a floatplane or a boat in a stall is a very bad idea.

Fri May 03, 2019 2:56 pm

Interesting report-
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/2 ... tsb-report

Fri May 03, 2019 4:24 pm

Warbirdnerd wrote:Interesting report-
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/2 ... tsb-report

It shows the level of maturity/responsibility between NTSB GA accident investigators and the ones who handle part 121 accidents.

While it may have appeared to the witnesses that the airplane was doing a 'barrel roll', I suspect that was not what was really happening.

Uncorroborated witness statements like that are better left out of preliminaries.

Contrast that to the recent prelim released for the Atlas 767 which provides zero detail other than a 767 crashed and killed 3 people.

Sat May 04, 2019 8:25 am

The canopy coming off is an interesting detail. Structural failure?

Sat May 04, 2019 9:02 am

Adam Kline wrote:The canopy coming off is an interesting detail. Structural failure?

Or he tried to get out.. won't know the truth until the investigation is complete.

Sean

Sat May 04, 2019 10:08 am

Fearless Tower wrote:
Warbirdnerd wrote:While it may have appeared to the witnesses that the airplane was doing a 'barrel roll', I suspect that was not what was really happening.
Uncorroborated witness statements like that are better left out of preliminaries.

This. Ask any cop, detective or any other accident/incident investigator what they think of the vast majority of eyewitness accounts, even for much more mundane occurrences than a/c accidents.

Get as many reports as you can, look for the commonalities, and you MIGHT get something useful.

Mon May 06, 2019 9:18 am

martin_sam_2000 wrote:
Adam Kline wrote:The canopy coming off is an interesting detail. Structural failure?

Or he tried to get out.. won't know the truth until the investigation is complete.

Sean

On a M9MB that would be extremely less appealing then trying to save it.
Post a reply