Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: N9MB crash confirmed :-(

Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:07 pm

Good stuff on flying all related Northop flying wings: Northrop Flying Wing Flight Testing from N-1 to B-2

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:17 pm

marine air wrote:The B-2’s computers keep it from flying below a set flying speed. They don’t stall the airplane.

How do they land it?

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:41 pm

menards wrote:
marine air wrote:The B-2’s computers keep it from flying below a set flying speed. They don’t stall the airplane.

How do they land it?

I guess above stall speed. Sorta like most aircraft.

Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:17 am

Pogmusic wrote:
menards wrote:

How do they land it?

I guess above stall speed. Sorta like most aircraft.

Sorta like most aircraft? Don't most (all) aircraft stall in the flare?

Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:12 pm

menards wrote:Sorta like most aircraft? Don't most (all) aircraft stall in the flare?

No, every aircraft is different. Some aircraft are landed prior to stall, some during the stall, and some in a full stall. Aircraft and aerodynamics are so different among designs that one can't make blanket statements concerning it.

Wed May 01, 2019 7:20 am

When I land the Ercoupe it is not in a stall, you can be close, but if it stalls it has a very large sink rate, but when I land a Citabria, it is in a stall

Wed May 01, 2019 8:16 am

Landing a floatplane or a boat in a stall is a very bad idea.

Fri May 03, 2019 2:56 pm

Interesting report-
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/2 ... tsb-report

Fri May 03, 2019 4:24 pm

Warbirdnerd wrote:Interesting report-
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/2 ... tsb-report

It shows the level of maturity/responsibility between NTSB GA accident investigators and the ones who handle part 121 accidents.

While it may have appeared to the witnesses that the airplane was doing a 'barrel roll', I suspect that was not what was really happening.

Uncorroborated witness statements like that are better left out of preliminaries.

Contrast that to the recent prelim released for the Atlas 767 which provides zero detail other than a 767 crashed and killed 3 people.

Sat May 04, 2019 8:25 am

The canopy coming off is an interesting detail. Structural failure?

Sat May 04, 2019 9:02 am

Adam Kline wrote:The canopy coming off is an interesting detail. Structural failure?

Or he tried to get out.. won't know the truth until the investigation is complete.

Sean

Mon May 06, 2019 9:18 am

martin_sam_2000 wrote:
Adam Kline wrote:The canopy coming off is an interesting detail. Structural failure?

Or he tried to get out.. won't know the truth until the investigation is complete.

Sean

On a M9MB that would be extremely less appealing then trying to save it.

Mon May 06, 2019 10:16 am

Adam Kline wrote:
martin_sam_2000 wrote:

Sean

C'mon man. An airplane is sticks and metal. You can build a dozen new ones. Each person is unique and irreplaceable.

Mon May 06, 2019 10:28 am

Kyleb wrote:
Adam Kline wrote:
martin_sam_2000 wrote:Or he tried to get out.. won't know the truth until the investigation is complete.

Sean

C'mon man. An airplane is sticks and metal. You can build a dozen new ones. Each person is unique and irreplaceable.

yep.. and my point was we don't and won't know much until there is a full investigation.

Sean

Mon May 06, 2019 11:14 am

Not judging or saying what so ever......

However (my opinion) I do agree in one regards.....If conditions prevails, it may safer to try to crash land it than to bail out and hope to clear the 2 meat choppers in the back.....Certain AC's have less interesting prospects when it comes to bailing out.

Agreed to wait on the final investigation report before thinking or reflecting on any form of judgment....just such a sad story for the family and friends.....
Post a reply