Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: A Stearman registry....
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Scott, Do you have plans to start a registry for Stearman's? If so I have some photos to pass along.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:09 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

It is a long term goal but after tackling the Texan registry I'm sort of afraid to try :)

Go ahead and submit the images though, If I get enough I might be tempted to start one sooner than planned. ;)

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:05 pm 

Were all the model 75s Military, or do we have a case like the Navion and the Beech 18 where some are warbirds and some are civilian?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:31 pm 
Aerial Pirate

While the majority of the 75's were military aircraft, there were a few civilian A75L3's that were built as civilian examples, along with three of them going to Parks Air College.

With 10,346 of them built, and a good pecentage of those still in existance, it would be quite a project to put this group on the registry. The 75's went through quite a few designations, along with export models, and different engines from the Lycoming, Continental, and Jacobs. Starting post war some models were changed to designations such as the A75L3 as the planes became quite useful for agricultural spraying, etc. Quite a few today have been rebuilt with a data plate, that actually has nothing to do with the planes origins, but gets them in the air again, and I'm glad to see those parts used to put these planes in the air again.

Now, if you'd just like to look at some Stearman pictures, visit the Yahoo site that I moderate at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Stearman/ and go to the photo's section.

To keep spammers out, you must join to look at the pictures, but can cancel after your done, if you're not interested in following the board.

Happy New Year to all.........Roger

We must limit politicians to two terms:
one in office and one in jail.

Post subject: Stearmans
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:05 pm 
Actually the often quoted number of 10,346 a/c is slightly misleading. To the best of my knowledge only 8584 a/c were actually built (this includes the sole Model 70, the Model 73, and the more commen Model 75). There were enough spare parts supplied that had they all been assembled would have resulted in 10,346 a/c, which is where that number comes from.

It would be a BIG job Scott, but we'll all pitch in to help!

Dan Jones

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:45 am 

Scott WRG Editor wrote:
It is a long term goal but after tackling the Texan registry I'm sort of afraid to try :)

That Texan job must have been a great oddesy. and it must be very difficult to keep it up to date.

For example:

Harvard MK IV RCAF20403 is reported to be based at North Weald in the UK, but the Belgian owner operates his Harvard since june 2004 from EBKT (Kortrijk-Wevelgem) in Belgium. He has a company in the UK so the UK registry reports that the machine is operated and owned in the UK. But in fact it's standing 2 miles from my home here in Belgium.

You must hate me for complaining about this detail. :oops:

But a big thank you for the registry as it has proven to be a big source of information for me.

A stearman page would be nice of course, but where do you start (and where do you end???).

Regards,

J.V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:29 pm 
Aerial Pirate

Quote:
Actually the often quoted number of 10,346 a/c is slightly misleading. To the best of my knowledge only 8584 a/c were actually built (this includes the sole Model 70, the Model 73, and the more commen Model 75). There were enough spare parts supplied that had they all been assembled would have resulted in 10,346 a/c, which is where that number comes from.

Thanks Dan,

I had read that Boeing issued N41766 as the 10,346th Kadet built, for publicity and utility duties.

Had I read a bit further in the Stearman Guidebook, I would have seen that 75-5963 was the "last of the many", the 8585th Kadet E-75.

Just for info, currently, from pulling 46 different designations of the Boeing Stearman series, I found 2,657 planes registered on the FAA registry. Of course some of these are barn queens or don't exisit, and then there's the many planes that are being restored everyday, that have yet to get a pending registration. We're not even touching foreign registered or museum planes here. And this is only for the model 75.

Anybody care to check the Canadian or UK registries?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:34 pm 
Hi Roger,

Have you ever read Pete Bowers book "Wings of Stearman"? Pete wrote the Guidebook, but "Wings" is THE reference work. I wish I could have spoken to the man directly before he passed on about a year ago. What he didn't know about Stearmans wasn't worth knowing.

I have a complete and updated listing of the Canadian Stearmans that I'll forward to Scott as soon as I get home next week. I made a small proposal to Transport Canada (our FAA) about two years ago for some maintenance considerations for the Stearman, and I tackled that by first taking the registry and combing all the mistakes out of it. I have two Stearmans. Army PT-13D C-GVTI (flying) and Navy N2S-3 C-GZAL (project) - both ex-dusters. Interestingly -5963 still exists at the USAF Museum at Dayton.

Have a good New Year!

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:40 pm 
Aerial Pirate

Hi Dan,

Yes I've got the Wings of Stearman. There have been differences in s/n's between Bowers and another big Stearman buff, but I don't remember his name. I've had the opportunity to meet Bowers, but made the mistake of putting it off too long.

I would be happy :D if you'd post pictures of your planes in the photo section of http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Stearman/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:03 pm 
Hi Roger,

I'll try to post some once I take some better ones. In the meantime though there is a couple of pictures of -VTI on www.airliners.net

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:37 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/pt17regi ... istry.html

This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:32 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

When I was a boy and my dad had a 220 hp. PT-17 we used to go to lots of local fly ins and airshows. One time when someone asked "How many Stearmans are there still out there?" I proclaimed "about a thousand" which was a total guess. Growing up, every ag pilot I ever talked to had rolled at least one Stearman into a ball on landing. The first Stearman I ever saw was a fuselage of a duster that had been destroyed trying to land on a concrete runway at the former Sewart Air Force Base (KMQY) Ten thousand were built and this was 30 years after the end of the war , so I thought my guess was accurate. There used to be lots of Stearman wrecks hanging in the rafters, never with good wings, when I was a kid and you could walk around the airports. I do think there are several hundred airframes still out there worldwide. I think there are over 300 T-34 A's and B's, over 500 T-6's and at least that many T-28's.
A list that would be very interesting to me would be a list of the surviving pre-war Stearmans,(1935 to 1941) those that survived into the USAF (1947-1950) , or have some interesting history.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:25 am 

Scott,
PT-17 KAYDET/CN: 75-6488 is mine here in Australia. Registered as VH-EYC and flying very nicely thanks. Can I enter some details or do you want me to send them to you?

Steve

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:55 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Bradleygolding wrote:
Scott,
PT-17 KAYDET/CN: 75-6488 is mine here in Australia. Registered as VH-EYC and flying very nicely thanks. Can I enter some details or do you want me to send them to you?

Steve

Hi Steve,

You can send details and or images to

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Marine Air:
There are plenty of pre-war Stearmans around these parts.
Friends...or friends of friends...have 5 Speedmails and a long time local C3 was recently sold to a regional museum.

As far as round tails, we're knee deep in them at SFF.