Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:08 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Anyone going?
It would be big news if they have a P-36. The website sure lists a lot of info on an airplane unlikely to be there...
https://www.palmerairport.com/

Attachments:
WCAS AD.PNG
WCAS AD.PNG [ 1.31 MiB | Viewed 1589 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 5:47 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I would be shocked if there was an actual P-36 there. I believe the only two that are airworthy are in the UK and I can't imagine one coming to the US and not hearing a word about it until now. If there is one in the US, that would be one heck of a surprise!

Tora! has a T-6 painted up in P-36-like markings that flies with their act now. Maybe that's what the poster is referring to?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:03 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

kalamazookid wrote:
Tora! has a T-6 painted up in P-36-like markings that flies with their act now. Maybe that's what the poster is referring to?

That's what I'm thinking too. The only two P-36's flying in the world are still at Duxford with The Fighter Collection.

Perhaps within a couple years or so, Jerry Yagen's P-36 will be flying (currently at Avspecs).

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:19 pm 

The picture of the P-36 in their airshow poster is the exact one at Duxford, seen it last year at Flying Legends, Duxford. The landing gear retracts like a P-40, retracting backwards and twisting 90 degrees. the T-6 retracts with wheels towards the main body like the Mustang. Don't believe Duxford would pack up their aircraft and send it to this airshow. But you never know, just seems unlikely. Just reviewed my photos and the P 36 didn't fly as it was hangered with the engine removed, what flew was the Hawk 75, pretty much the same aircraft. the Hawk 75 was in camo and P 36 was polished with red/white stripes on rudder and yellow cowl ring forward.

Last edited by pjpahs on Wed May 22, 2019 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:31 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Once upon a time, there was a WIX participant who was building two Hawk 75's. That was 5-10 years ago. He was a very capable guy and had the fuselages mostly complete. I could imagine a slight change of heart on his part and converting one or both projects to P-36's.

Is anyone up to date on the state of those projects?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:22 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

If you guys mean this CAF Tora Zero it doesn't seem to match the picture in the air show ad. pop2

Attachment:
torazero_usaac.jpg
torazero_usaac.jpg [ 345.58 KiB | Viewed 1316 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:11 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Lon Moer wrote:
If you guys mean this CAF Tora Zero it doesn't seem to match the picture in the air show ad. pop2

Attachment:
torazero_usaac.jpg

Yes, that is probably the one, it's been playing the role of a P-36 in the Tora act, filling in for the CAF P-40 while it's been out of service.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:40 am 

slightly off topic, but could they not have found a picture of the Snowbirds that was less than 30 years old?!?

The switched to the new scheme back in like 1990 or something!

Sean

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:12 pm 

martin_sam_2000 wrote:
slightly off topic, but could they not have found a picture of the Snowbirds that was less than 30 years old?!?

The switched to the new scheme back in like 1990 or something!

Sean

It's funny how some airshow webmasters seem oblivious to aviation in general. "Type in P-36 and Snowbirds in google and put a picture on the website" is probably about the most they heard from organizers lol. I will always appreciate an airshow site that does a good job with their acts. I've never been to Flying Legends, but they have an awesome website for the show.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:21 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Lon Moer wrote:

The one pictured in the air show ad is owned by The Fighter Collection and is firmly placed at Duxford right now, as it has been.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:12 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Okay, it’s cool that the P-36’s place in history is being remembered. However, this representation gives me so much heartburn.
1) please source an early model rudder like for an AT-6A , with the shape somewhat similar to the P-36 rudder.
2) please install wing guns in both wings and two guns in the nose. No, they won’t be sticking out of the engine cowling but will be somewhat of a representation of the P-36’s offensive firepower.
Is the CAF calling this one an RP-36 or an F-1 gunless variant? It’s okay to lie to us, and we will make believe it’s a real fighter, but please put some pointy things in the right places!

P.S. I hate Bearcats. Have yet to see one with pointy things sticking out of the wings or any ordnance.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 2:03 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

marine air wrote:
...P.S. I hate Bearcats. Have yet to see one with pointy things sticking out of the wings or any ordnance.

Here you go:

https://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo ... f-bearcat/

http://idaircraft.com/photos/bearcat_8a.jpg

http://peterlewisdesign.tripod.com/thai ... earcat.htm

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 6:50 am 

If anyone goes to that show I would love a report on the parking/traffic/departure situation. As a local I have not been to that show in at least 5 years due to the awful logistics. We left before the Blue took to the air and still waited over an hour to get out of the parking lot that year.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 8:44 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

marine air wrote:
P.S. I hate Bearcats.....

Heresy! burn the witch!

:D

I once said in a UK heavy forum that I don't care much for the EE Lightning, that it was an overrated, one trick pony. Not sure if I got banned....