Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

What are these Hurricane clips for?

Thu May 23, 2019 11:29 am

We are restoring the Canadian Hurricane 5447, which was built here as a Mark IIb, then crashed on its delivery flight and was rebuilt as a XII. (First flight target this Fall, or next Spring.) http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNe...neak-Peek.aspx

On the right side of the cockpit, below the pilot's right thigh, there are clips for something. We can't find out what it is. Anybody know?

The orientation is a bit more upright than the photo suggests. The fingers point to the clips. The other bracket may be a stopper to prevent shifting in flight.

Also, we're looking for an original, or very good scan, of an RCAF Hurricane manual -- NOT the RAF one, which is commonly available. So far we only have this, and the quality is poor, especially the images.

Thanks!

Re: What are these Hurricane clips for?

Thu May 23, 2019 11:39 am

Dave -

I can't say for certain, but it looks very similar to installations on other planes for manual handle stowage. Not knowing the Hurricane, is there internal bars installed in the tail for ground handling, or would they need to be stowed somewhere? Also, are there any hand pumps externally accessible? That would be my guess for what went there - a handle for the plane or pump.

Fri May 24, 2019 8:57 pm

Would it be for some type of column lock?a bar of some sort going from each one to the control stick?

Sat May 25, 2019 6:43 am

Wild guess: crowbar similar to the one on the Spitfire door?

Tue May 28, 2019 12:35 am

Dave Hadfield wrote:We are restoring the Canadian Hurricane 5447, which was built here as a Mark IIb, then crashed on its delivery flight and was rebuilt as a XII. (First flight target this Fall, or next Spring.) http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNe...neak-Peek.aspx

On the right side of the cockpit, below the pilot's right thigh, there are clips for something. We can't find out what it is. Anybody know?

The orientation is a bit more upright than the photo suggests. The fingers point to the clips. The other bracket may be a stopper to prevent shifting in flight.

Also, we're looking for an original, or very good scan, of an RCAF Hurricane manual -- NOT the RAF one, which is commonly available. So far we only have this, and the quality is poor, especially the images.

Thanks!

Hi Dave! I looked through a few detail shots my dad had of LF686 taken in '89 when they had it apart at Garber. You say they're a bit more upright, are they mounted on one of the angular tubes in that area beside the seat? It's very "busy" in that corner. I'm wondering if the clips are cable ways for a couple of manual cable actuators that may have modded away with upgrades, or? Have you guys run the photo by the folks at hurricanerestorations.co.uk yet? Oh, by the way, your link didn't work for the Vintage Wings article.
Sorry, no joy on the RCAF Hurri manual.
Post a reply