Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: P-51D "HEL-ETER"

Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:15 pm

JohnTerrell wrote:That I don't fully recall. He and his brother do have a large stable of aircraft - B-25J, F-82E, Albatross, SNJ, L-13, L-5, L-1 (the full Stinson L-bird trifecta!), O-47 (complete, future restoration project), French Storch (the one that Jerry Yagen sold, and which Pat has been restoring to original stock French configuration/markings), a P-51H (project), and a few others, such as a Bellanca 31-55A (complete, but uncovered) and L-14 and L-15 projects. Its been great to see the L-1 out and about at a couple flying events in Minnesota already this year.

John, the P-51H project you mentioned, is that one one that came out of Red Oak, Texas by chance? Thank you for your time.

Lynn

Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:15 pm

Lynn Allen wrote:
JohnTerrell wrote:That I don't fully recall. He and his brother do have a large stable of aircraft - B-25J, F-82E, Albatross, SNJ, L-13, L-5, L-1 (the full Stinson L-bird trifecta!), O-47 (complete, future restoration project), French Storch (the one that Jerry Yagen sold, and which Pat has been restoring to original stock French configuration/markings), a P-51H (project), and a few others, such as a Bellanca 31-55A (complete, but uncovered) and L-14 and L-15 projects. Its been great to see the L-1 out and about at a couple flying events in Minnesota already this year.

John, the P-51H project you mentioned, is that one one that came out of Red Oak, Texas by chance? Thank you for your time.

Lynn

I was thinking it was the old "H-in-a- box" project that was in Mike Coutches garage for 40+yrs. pop2

Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:02 am

The H-model is 44-64375, which had previously been in Oregon with James Parks. Pat Harker acquired it about 8 years ago now.

Lon, the H that you’re thinking of is still owned by the Coutches family. I’ve heard that it is mostly an assembly job required to get it flying.

Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:01 am

Lynn and Lon...just to keep the identities straight:

http://www.mustangsmustangs.com/p-51/survivors/P-51H

Lynn, I really haven't searched for the current owner of the "Red Oak" survivors. Former owner Ken Williams posted (WIX link below) way back in 2011. Might he respond to a pm? Happy hunting!

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=42524

Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:36 am

Why abandon its best known history for history that doesn't even apply to it. I'd have rather seen it done in Swedish air force (1947), or Nicaraguan colors (1955) or even El Salvadorian colors (1969) or just keep it as Ridge Runner III (Wich it still wasn't but is best known as.) All this does is screw up history. Its not Hel-Eter, its wannabe Hel-Eter. Not to mention making it a TF. Fail on so many levels.

Will

Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:21 pm

Blackbirdfan wrote:Why abandon its best known history for history that doesn't even apply to it. I'd have rather seen it done in Swedish air force (1947), or Nicaraguan colors (1955) or even El Salvadorian colors (1969) or just keep it as Ridge Runner III (Wich it still wasn't but is best known as.) All this does is screw up history. Its not Hel-Eter, its wannabe Hel-Eter. Not to mention making it a TF. Fail on so many levels.

Will

I agree totally. Particularly with an airframe that has a proven combat record. But he who pays the bills makes the decisions.
Post a reply