Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:15 am 

menards wrote:

"The Report identified various concerns about aircraft safety, including the airworthiness of aircraft that were operating outside of their original intended design and the appropriate levels of maintenance and training to ensure safe operations.
LIKE THE LARGE JETS THEY USE NOW ARE FLYING IN THEIR INTENDED DESIGN? CAN't ('t)edit 6-29-19) GO 500 MPH DROPPING RETARDANT.

As a result of the panel's recommendations, the USFS and BLM declined to renew the leases on nine C-130A and PB4Y-2 airtankers, and ordered the 33 remaining large airtankers to undergo an improved inspection program before they returned to active service. The agencies contracted with the Sandia National Laboratories to analyze the safety of continuing use of five types of airtankers – the Douglas DC-4, Douglas DC-6, Douglas DC-7, Lockheed P-3 Orion and Lockheed P-2 Neptune. In addition, 11 of 19 Beechcraft 58P Baron leadplanes were also retired, as they had exceeded the 6,000 flight hour airframe safety limit.
SO THE LARGE JETS DON'T EXCEED 6K HOURS OF AIRFRAME TIME?
SO STRANGE WHEN OUTFITS LIKE EVERTS STILL FLY DC-6'S !

To further reduce the risk to the fleet, the agencies directed their field managers to use airtankers primarily for initial attack only.[1]
AND WHY WE NOW HAVE FIRES WAY OUT OF CONTROL.

Almost two years after the Summer 2002 crashes and as a direct result of the ensuing investigations, on May 10, 2004, the Forest Service abruptly terminated the contracts for the entire large tanker fleet. USFS Chief Dale Bosworth stated, "Safety is a core value of the firefighting community, and it is non-negotiable. To continue to use these contract large airtankers when no mechanism exists to guarantee their airworthiness presents an unacceptable level of risk to the aviators, the firefighters on the ground and the communities we serve."[18] The decision affected tanker contracts issued by both the
USFS and BLM.
AND THE FIRES DON'T CREATE AND UNACCEPTABLE LEVEL OF RISK?
"

Last edited by exhaustgases on Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:52 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

exhaustgases wrote:
The agencies contracted with the Sandia National Laboratories to analyze the safety of continuing use of five types of airtankers – the Douglas DC-4, Douglas DC-6, Douglas DC-7, Lockheed P-3 Orion and Lockheed P-2 Neptune. In addition, 11 of 19 Beechcraft 58P Baron leadplanes were also retired, as they had exceeded the 6,000 flight hour airframe safety limit.
SO THE LARGE JETS DON'T EXCEED 6K HOURS OF AIRFRAME TIME?
SO STRANGE WHEN OUTFITS LIKE EVERTS STILL FLY DC-6'S !

The limit applies to Barons only. Each airframe type has to be evaluated independently and sometimes there are differences from aircraft to aircraft taken into consideration. If you know where the airframe fatigue cracks start you can monitor the crack growth and retire the aircraft when the crack length exceeds a predetermined limit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've always wondered why the USFS bought pressurized Barons?
After all, their intended lead mission was low level.

Two guesses:
-So they can transit between fires at high altitude?
-and this one maybe a stretch...because the Pressurized airframe was necessarily a stouter and thus would have a longer life?

Or, they bought them because they could, after all it's not their money!
Perhaps the USFS saw them as cut-rate King Airs for VIP transport the rest of the year when it wasn't fire season?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:34 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

JohnB wrote:
I've always wondered why the USFS bought pressurized Barons?
After all, their intended lead mission was low level.

Two guesses:
-So they can transit between fires at high altitude?
-and this one maybe a stretch...because the Pressurized airframe was necessarily a stouter and thus would have a longer life?

Or, they bought them because they could, after all it's not their money!
Perhaps the USFS saw them as cut-rate King Airs for VIP transport the rest of the year when it wasn't fire season?

Maybe to keep the fire smoke out of the cockpit? pop2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good suggestion.
But since most of the fire bombers of the time (DC-4, B-17, PB4Y, PBY, C-119, S-2, PV-2, P-2V) weren't pressurized...or even air conditioned...I'm not sure...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:32 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

My guess is cost - P-Barons (much like many pressurized pistons) went through a period of being dirt cheap because no one wanted the maintenance costs of the pressurization system. Prices have recovered some in recent years, but back during the 1980s, they tanked. That's what drives Government acquisition - what fits the bill and is the cheapest to acquire. Additionally, I'm sure the P-Barons had low hours compared to other used Barons on the market, so it makes doubly attractive.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:53 am 

CAPFlyer wrote:
My guess is cost - P-Barons (much like many pressurized pistons) went through a period of being dirt cheap because no one wanted the maintenance costs of the pressurization system. Prices have recovered some in recent years, but back during the 1980s, they tanked. That's what drives Government acquisition - what fits the bill and is the cheapest to acquire. Additionally, I'm sure the P-Barons had low hours compared to other used Barons on the market, so it makes doubly attractive.

I think they bought the P Barons new? It was an odd choice; it's a pig on 1 engine. And the engines don't tolerate abuse from either pilots or mechanics. Really just meant for climbing up to the low flight levels and cruising along like a mini-airliner (which it does well).

A straight 58 Baron with 550s would have seemed like a much better choice, plus would have likely had a much better dispatch rate. But like most government procurement decisions, suitability for the mission usually takes a backseat to politics and relationships. And in the early 80s Beech probably really wanted to unload P Barons.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes, the Barons were bought new.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:44 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Ahh, I was unaware that they were bought new. I thought they got them used just like everything else they buy. That does make the P-Baron choice even more odd, but "new" P-Barons weren't selling either, so maybe they were units that got built and not sold as DB2 suggested (again back to low demand and thus really cheap price).

Personally, if you're going to buy new, then I would've pushed hard for the 337, which was still in production at the time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

CAPFlyer wrote:
Personally, if you're going to buy new, then I would've pushed hard for the 337, which was still in production at the time.

Or better yet, if you want 337s, get free ones from the Air Force. The Border Patrol did the same thing receiving surplus Army OH-6s and used them for years.

Yes, perhaps Beech have them a deal on a big order..or they had built but unsold ones laying around (like the civil 337s sold to the Air Force as O-2Bs).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:38 pm 

Actually, that's exactly what Cal Fire did...got a bunch of O-2As surplus in the late 70s and had them rebuilt, and flew them for years until they went to OV-10s.

A lot of civilian/contract operators used Shrike Commanders for that role, although I think they are being phased out now in favor of Turbo Commanders or King Airs.

But, hey, maybe Beech donated money to the right Senator's campaign...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:36 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

DB2 wrote:
A lot of civilian/contract operators used Shrike Commanders for that role, although I think they are being phased out now in favor of Turbo Commanders or King Airs.

They've converted the aircraft to turbines - same airframes, new motors . Running on common fuel was given as at least one major justification for getting rid of piston powered aircraft.
Not really a bad move in the big picture, as the Shrikes had slightly oddball 540's in them anyway. Little picture was a bummer as our shop was overhauling at least a half dozen of those oddball 540s every season.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:44 am 

Are you saying they converted 500’s to turbines? What engine did they use and do you have any pics? I didn’t know anyone had done a conversion like that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:41 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

jetsrforkids wrote:
Are you saying they converted 500’s to turbines? What engine did they use and do you have any pics? I didn’t know anyone had done a conversion like that.

That is what I was told - 520's IIRC. I haven't seen a glut of them on the market so I tend to believe conversions.

No idea, that was work rather than hobby, so when the contract dried up, I had no need to make day long road trips to see.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Why not buy Turbo-Commanders in the first place?
Not enough on the market?
Too high of times in the airframes? (However, It might be easier to find low time piston ships coming out of long time private ownership...aka old rich guys...whereas the turbine aircraft may have been working on charter, freight or corporate use for years).

I hear they were good aircraft back in the day.
They had 331s...what do the conversions have?