Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Top Gun - Maverick
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:15 pm 

JohnB wrote:
Anyone with a Mustang (and flies it himself) can't be all bad.

Anyone know if he solos it?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:24 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Saville wrote:
JohnB wrote:
Anyone with a Mustang (and flies it himself) can't be all bad.

Anyone know if he solos it?

From what I have read, he does solo it and apparently loves taking friends up for rides once in a while.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:46 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

He came through here twice a few weeks ago going out to Florida for some apparent reshoots flying what I gather is his new "getting around" aircraft, a HondaJet Elite (brand new). He was left seat, but had a pilot from the management company in the right seat with him (smart man). Tom was quiet and friendly as always. He came inside while I fueled the plane and chatted with the CSR for a good 10 minutes (she didn't realize it was him; as most people don't if they've only ever seen him on screen or in interviews) about just every day stuff.

I've always heard 2 sides to him and I think it's like a lot of celebs (and especially celeb pilots) - when they're out in public, they're guarded and on defense. When you get them out on the aviation side, they mellow out a ton and as long as you treat them like a normal person, they're pretty friendly. I know several celeb pilots I've run into have specifically stated they fly private specifically because they can relax since most FBO employees are used to working around "high profile" types and don't put on airs or constantly ask for pictures or autographs.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've met him a couple of times. I've been in that hangar next to his P-51. Normal dude in my limited time around him. Nice guy. What he does or believes is not for me to judge as I don't know enough to judge. He's an entertainer and a pilot in my view. No more, no less.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:22 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I always chuckle at those who refuse to see a movie because they object to the personal life or anyone in it.
This speaks to the current climate of people looking for things to be offended by.
Lots of actors, for example, aren't supportive of the military or the second amendment (two subject close to my heart). It doesn't prevent me from liking the movies they're in, though. I don't have the time to go looking at every involved in a movie to be sure that even the key grips and best boy share the exact same beliefs I do!
JohnB wrote:
The first film was hardly a paragon of authenticity...(flying canopy to canopy with the "MiG", ...improbable story line about freshly minted students rushing to save the day...)

Actually, they did do the canopy to canopy thing. I talked with the main stand in pilot for Cruise soon after the film came out at an air show (his last name from Broska if memory serves), and he confirmed they did meet canopy to canopy with his F-14 to the F-5 (on more than one attempt) but they couldn't hold that position long enough to get the camera ship into position and for the correct light.

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

Last edited by p51 on Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:54 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Apparently there was some earlier controversy with some patches on TC's bomber jacket which was gone back over and removed?

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:01 pm 

p51 wrote:
I always chuckle at those who refuse to see a movie because they object to the personal life or anyone in it.
This speaks to the current climate of people looking for things to be offended by.
Lots of actors, for example, aren't supportive of the military or the second amendment (two subject close to my heart). It doesn't prevent me from liking the movies they're in, though. I don't have the time to go looking at every involved in a movie to be sure that even the key grips and best boy share the exact same beliefs I do!

No need to take this to the realm of the ludicrous, many of us do or don't do things based on convictions. You must have missed the part where I said I didn't even see the original, and the part where I said I'd watch it after it came out on "dvd" - Hardly a "current" thing with me, its called not being a pandering hypocrite. I don't like the guy so I'm not going to put $$ into his pocket buying a ticket to see his movie, the entire concept shouldn't be too difficult to understand. I may or may not view it when I can do so without lining his pockets, in this case, just to watch the aircraft.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:05 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

airnutz wrote:
Apparently there was some earlier controversy with some patches on TC's bomber jacket which was gone back over and removed?

Yes, Japanese and Taiwanese flags were apparently removed. Recently, the revenues from China has equaled or surpassed US revenues for many big movies, so there have been some steps taken to ensure big blockbusters can be released there with minimal re-editing. Since Top Gun is a 90% propaganda movie anyway, I think it's great to see it released in China. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:19 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

CAPFlyer wrote:
airnutz wrote:

Yes, Japanese and Taiwanese flags were apparently removed. Recently, the revenues from China has equaled or surpassed US revenues for many big movies, so there have been some steps taken to ensure big blockbusters can be released there with minimal re-editing. Since Top Gun is a 90% propaganda movie anyway, I think it's great to see it released in China. :lol:

Ahhhh...thanks Cap! I heard later it may have been partially due to a Chinese investor who was one of the backers of the project as well.

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:38 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

If I stopped watching movies, Television or listening to music because of a persons personal political views or lifestyle, I would be one very bored individual!

I pay to be entertained and that is all I want from it. Don't like political speeches at concerts, but they happen and I just grin and bear it until they get back to the music.

As for Tom, well I actually met him back in 86 before the movie came out. I was working at North Island as part of a High School program I was in and they gave him and some other VIP's a tour of the facility while I was there. I was surprised how short he is, as I am 6'1" and he is not. We had no idea about Top Gun at that moment and we could only identify him from Risky Business and the Outsiders. Or his cinematic triumph, Losing It!

Nobody has a perfect life and we all have our own thoughts and beliefs. And I don't know about you, but I have enough in my life to deal with instead of worrying about a celebrities life.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:01 am 

I think it was an episode of "Inside the Actor's Studio" where James Lipton was interviewing TC and TC was asked (I'm praphrasing from memory):

"What is your favorite sound?"

TC replies, "Rolls Royce Merlin Engine."

Well maybe I don't like his politics or things about how he runs his life but so what..it's his life not mine.
And there's common ground in the sound of a RR Merlin.

And given the right script, he CAN act....he was great in "Rock of Ages".

Now there ARE some actor's who push their politics so hard that I will boycott them. So, for me, it all depends. And it can change depending upon the movie.

But I will watch TG2 and probably on the Big screen because airplanes look better on the big screen and there's a P-51 in the movie. There is sure to be some impossible maneuver silliness just like I saw in TG1.

But then again, if you watch TG1 very carefully you will see a rolling scissors actually taking place with multiple aircraft and that's rarely caught on film.

So for me it's a fluid, case by case basis as to whether or not I'll boycott a film because of an actor.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:52 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

CAPFlyer wrote:
airnutz wrote:

I, too, think it's great to see the Chinese are going to be able to see this movie.
As for altering a movie for a huge target market, doesn't anyone else recall the remake of "Red Dawn," where a huge portion of the movie had to be changed to remove the Chinese as the invaders to make them North Koreans? That was done for the same economic (not political) reasons.

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:08 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I did not know that! Tho, I didn't know there was a Red Dawn II and prolly happy I spent an hour and a half of my life elsewhere.... :D

DBF

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:25 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

p51 wrote:
<>..... doesn't anyone else recall the remake of "Red Dawn," ....<>

No. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:13 pm 

Jesse C. wrote:
If I stopped watching movies, Television or listening to music because of a persons personal political views or lifestyle, I would be one very bored individual!

I pay to be entertained and that is all I want from it. Don't like political speeches at concerts, but they happen and I just grin and bear it until they get back to the music.

Nobody has a perfect life and we all have our own thoughts and beliefs. And I don't know about you, but I have enough in my life to deal with instead of worrying about a celebrities life.

You seem to be confusing me with someone who is trying to push my convictions on you. I'm not, I couldn't care any less what you do or do not do, if you wanted to donate half your savings account to his cult, it wouldn't bother me a bit. If you were VP of his fan club, would make no impression on me. He is not going to make a single $ from me and that is that. I'm not shouting it from the rooftops, I am not trying to enlist others in a "boycott", it is my personal choice and you really need to respect it, as I respect yours, instead of trying to get others to conform to you.

I have a full time job and a side business in my garage with employees, along with quite a few hobbies and passions that eat up alot of $$ and time, along with a family, house, vacation property ect. You'll be glad to know that I don't spend much of my time worried about a celebrities life, in fact I don't spend much time at all in front of LCD screens [No facebook/twitter account either, hope that is Ok with you] You guys that are going to pay to watch it on day 1, hope you enjoy. Never said the guy was a bad actor, and don't think he should be condemned to hell.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next