Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Top Gun - Maverick
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:43 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

airnutz wrote:
I didn't know there was a Red Dawn II and prolly happy I spent an hour and a half of my life elsewhere.... :D

You did, no matter what you spent that hour and a half on.
Trust me. :roll:

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:22 am 

Im trying to figure out if they are going to get any Mig28,s into the air to play the bad guys again. :axe:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:55 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Who knows, I might go and see it. Might wait for it to hit the TV down the road. But that is more down to the fact that I am so bored with current movies. They just redo all old scripts with a new villain, and slightly different lines uttered by the actors. Then you market everything as the next "new" movie in a franchise. I swear there must have been a busload of scriptwriters going off of Santa Monica pier some years back and we were never told.

As for Tom Cruise, there is some truth in this stand- up routine by Rich Hall:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFal553wR3k

T J

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:56 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Warning, strong language

https://youtu.be/ZF1LXL6OOsM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:00 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Spitty wrote:
Im trying to figure out if they are going to get any Mig28,s into the air to play the bad guys again. :axe:

Heck, former Soviet aircraft are much easier to get now than they were when the original movie got made. I'd bet with the right skids getting greased, they could get real MIG-29s!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:15 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

p51 wrote:
Spitty wrote:

Heck, former Soviet aircraft are much easier to get now than they were when the original movie got made. I'd bet with the right skids getting greased, they could get real MIG-29s!

What skids ? all they have to do is call the flying heritage museum, they have a flyable -29

Check out the Ercoupe Discussion Group on facebook

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:20 am 

Matt Gunsch wrote:
p51 wrote:
Spitty wrote:

What skids ? all they have to do is call the flying heritage museum, they have a flyable -29

Perhaps money (i.e. the price of hiring the plane and pilot for the movie shoot) and the cost of insurance, skids

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:49 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Matt Gunsch wrote:
I was more thinking of filming with Navy equipment anywhere a nation is flying MIGs (29s would be great) to use in real-life large battle scenes...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:00 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

p51 wrote:
Matt Gunsch wrote:
I was more thinking of filming with Navy equipment anywhere a nation is flying MIGs (29s would be great) to use in real-life large battle scenes...

Tho they might have to settle for some Su30 footage if the Venezuelans overstep the line... :twisted:

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:10 pm 

When I first came in, in 1986 and arrived at my first duty assignment (George AFB, CA), as a Airman Basic. I was assigned to the 602nd TACW, 27th TASS as a Aircrew Life Support Technician on OV-10s, my dad worked next door at the 35th TFTW, 20th TFTS as Production Super on the F-4s.

My dad told be to look up this Captain that worked Stan-Eval in my Squadron. A Capt "Scoop" Jackson. So I find this guy, called him Scoop as my dad said to call him, got my backside handed to me by said Capt. He informed me I would address him as Capt Jackson or Sir, then after he learned who my dad was, I was allowed to call him Scoop. He took me up for my insentive rides in the Bronco.

Capt Jackson was a career Capt, retired as a one a few years later. My dad would brag about his abilities in an aircraft, he had flown in my dads squadron at Spandahelm Germany in F-4s before going to OV-10s. There was an incident during a exercise in Germany. Scoop and his rear seater were jumped by 3 F-15s, he got two of them, and over-g the Phantom evading the 3rd one. Dad said the plane never flew right after that. Scoop always pushed the bird to the limit and beyond at times and was a major risk taker. He told his wingman to follow his afterburners when departing from that exercise. They were fogged in, and they were delayed a day alresdy. Scoop had promised his wife he'd be home for their anniversary, so on day two him and his wingman went. The rest of the unit spent 2 more days there before launching for home.

I guess you wouldn't get away with that in today's Air Force.

Scoop was an awesome pilot, hell of a guy once you got to know him, although he looked grumpy as hell. He was not politically correct in a time that the USAF was heading in that direction. I'm not 100% certain but I think he was a Vietnam veteran and flew combat missions.

Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:35 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

A second trailer is out, and it looks great from what I’ve seen here: https://youtu.be/ITKxoqEkLxQ
My guess from the first trailer was right, he’s clearly a test pilot in the film (and you get a better shot of the P-51)...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:56 pm 

The flying footage looks phenomenal. Even if the story is weak the airplane eye candy should be worth the price of entry.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:10 pm 

Matt Gunsch wrote:
p51 wrote:
Spitty wrote:

Why do the "bad guys" have to be Russian? It doesn't follow a modern day story line....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:21 pm 

Wonder if Skunkworks were consulted with the Blackswift right at the end..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:49 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Where is the F35 ? :?

Phil pop2

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next