Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: USAFM transferring there SB2C to the Navy

Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:28 am

Hopefully the NMNA does not scrap the leftovers.... Not a good track record though...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54192&p=538485&hilit=NMNA#p538485
Last edited by Warbirdnerd on Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:51 am

I was really hoping it would end up back in civilian hands as the basis for an airworthy restoration. Too bad. I really hope it isn't just cannibalized for parts for another project. Seems like there was a substantial amount of work done to this one already and it would be a shame to waste that work.

I have heard that the Kalamazoo Air Zoo is supposed to eventually get a SB2C to restore from NMNA. I'm not sure whether it's going to be like the current FM-2 and SBD projects, which are being restored on behalf of NMNA to be displayed elsewhere, or whether the Air Zoo will get to display the completed aircraft. Now I'm wondering whether this aircraft might end up being a part of that project.

Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:32 pm

Col. Rohr wrote:
It will be very interesting in what the Navy decides to do. Personally I think they should have enough stuff to restore both birds and send this one to the USMC museum since it was a USMC Bird. SB2C-1A Bu#76805.

I don't believe the USMC Museum wants a Helldiver. All of the aircraft being part of the final phase are already in the building and they wont be adding anymore according to what I have read...
They also traded away their only F6F a few years back...

Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:21 pm

kalamazookid wrote:I was really hoping it would end up back in civilian hands as the basis for an airworthy restoration.

That aircraft wouldn't make a good basis for an airworthy restoration. You would have to pull it apart and start over completely.

Brandon

Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:19 pm

FLY NAVY !!

Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:22 am

NUSAFM "Hey we don't need to represent the A-25, who has a worse track record with aircraft caretaking than we do?, by George I've got!"

Picks up phone, rings at NMNA

"Hello, Rasmussen here"

Guess he's gone but...

Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:40 am

Col. Rohr wrote:Actually Pensacola has a far better track record than the USAFM

OK

Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:43 am

I must be confused by there hundreds of restored and preserved aircraft which are on display to the public nearly every day.
Post a reply