Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:24 pm 

All,

I’ve just learned through the Sikorsky Helicopter Yahoo group that Sikorsky historian Sid Nanson passed away yesterday from stomach cancer. This word comes to that group from his wife, Val.

Sid (SIDSIKO) was a longtime member here and was extremely helpful to many of us through his research and his collection of microfilm reports of aircraft history cards, primarily Sikorsky helicopters but, other types as well.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Sid in person but, we were usually in contact by email at least weekly for over a decade. His assistance to me in researching Marine HRS helicopters was invaluable. He contacted me just a couple weeks ago to let me know about his cancer and that he was about to undergo surgery. I am greatly saddened by the loss of my friend.

I have no details about services or contributions to organizations in his memory but, I will pass those along if I learn of anything.

Craig

Facebook Groups:

U.S. Marine Corps Sikorsky HRS / CH-19 Helicopter Database
U.S. Coast Guard Sikorsky HO4S / HH-19 Helicopter Database

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:15 am 

Rest in Peace Sid, You have Risen now higher than whirling blades :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:18 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Awww, more bad news. I also never met Sid but he was extremely helpful to me with Skyraider archives. What struck me about him is that he reached out to me and then provided more info then I could have ever hoped for. Some time later I contacted him for some more help and he responded quickly and, again, with extensive details. While I told him at the time how much I appreciated his help, I suspect we all do this in our lives and those words may not truly convey the sincerity & heartfelt meaning behind them. Fly high Sid, I am so thankful that our paths crossed in this world, however brief it may have been.

Ken

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:27 am 

A follow up for those interested.

Sids wife Valerie has requested anyone wishing to make a contribution in his memory may do so for the benefit of the Yorkshire Air Ambulance Charity by logging on to, JUSTGIVING.COM. Then search “Sid Nanson.” Contributions can be made via PayPal or CC.

Craig

Facebook Groups:

U.S. Marine Corps Sikorsky HRS / CH-19 Helicopter Database
U.S. Coast Guard Sikorsky HO4S / HH-19 Helicopter Database

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:59 am 

Very sad news indeed from the land down under.
I met up regularly with Sid in the early 80's when he spent a couple of years living in Western Australia.
On his return to the UK, we would generally communicate with an exchange of corro at Christmas time or when I was able to get construction numbers off visiting H-60s on boats that would frequent Fremantle or Army Special Ops jobbies that one could get close to, always had a chuckle when I said to the crew I only wanted to read the data plate! Only a couple of us left from those halcyon days and I too am fighting an advanced stage four terminal cancer fight myself, was told I had a year at best but 15 months later and still feeling pretty good although the heavy duty chemo I had last year whacked my stamina and leg strength big time. Slowly getting that back now and sticking to local events in Australia with an ADF Show at RAAF Edinburgh next month, Pitch Black in August next year in Darwin then the biggie at RAAF Amberley in Queensland later in the year for the RAAF 100th, not getting too far ahead of myself.
I will remember Sid for his dedication to all things helicopters and the assistance he gave to others - a true mate and professional operator - RIP.
I am not on bookface or any other social media platform so if some kind sole could pass on my sincere condolences to Valerie from me - it would be greatly appreciated.
Kind Regards on my sad first posting to this forum
Richard Siudak
Perth, Western Australia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:44 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Welcome aboard Richard, and good luck.

Phil