Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

est victime d’un cheval de bois...

Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:11 pm

says a french website regarding an accident that befell an aircraft. The interesting thing is that this plane became the victim of a "wooden horse" twice. That is what I get when running the website through Google Translator. I am fairly certain no wooden horse has ever put a heavy airplane out of commision twice, so this must be slang or a saying in french which Google does not pick up on.

Does any of our more fluent french speakers know what actually happened when a plane "est victime d’un cheval de bois"?

T J

Re: est victime d’un cheval de bois...

Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:46 pm

I've seen that expression used in World War 1 writings, and I always thought that it meant "a horse in the woods", in other words swerving back and forth (to avoid trees). In essence a ground loop.
Even American pilots used the term.

-

Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:30 am

Thats Right "cheval de bois" = "ground loop"

Les chevaux de bois are that too:

The expression comes from the similarity of the movement of the plane and that of the carousel ....

Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:07 am

It's always in France ...
Others not mine ...

http://www.pictaero.com/fr/search/searc ... &a4=F-AZNF

Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:14 am

There's quite a few photos available online of F-AZNF. Some as early as this summer in its current yellow paint scheme...JetPhotos is one of the sources.

Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:23 am

Thanks for the answers. Glad to get the correct translation on the incident in question.

I guess that means that no wooden horses were harmed in the making of this thread...

T J
Post a reply