Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

www.facebook.com/wingsandrotorsairmuseum :( :(

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:52 am 

Saw this last night and it is indeed sad. I never got the chance to visit the museum but, worked on and off with their founder to rescue a Sikorsky HRS (H-19) stored in a boneyard in Casa Grande, AZ., flown several times by my late father. Sadly, the boneyard changed hands and the former owner was never able to put me in contact with the new owner. Now, with the museum closing, I guess it will eventually (if it hasn’t already) meet with the scrap man.

TO ALL OF WONDERFUL FANS AND FRIENDS, the time has come for good things to come to an end. It with a heavy heart that we announce that Wings and Rotors Air Museum will close it’s doors for the last time.
Due to many different circumstances, our wonderful museum will now become a memory.
We want to give our heartfelt thanks to all who have supported us over the years, those who volunteered countless hours working on aircraft, flying our aircraft, and some who came in just to do anything to help.

We KNOW that in those 15 plus years we have helped educate people from all over the world about aviation, we have honored veterans from all ages and inspired some to go into the aviation field or the military.

It is our hope that even if only for a moment, we helped you see the world in a different way, inspired you, helped you, and felt the love we have for aviation, our veterans and our country.

I have uploaded a few of my favorite photos from over the years. Feel free to save any you may like, and any in our albums, for in 48 hours, our FB page will be no more.

The museum started with a dream by Pat Rodgers, he made that dream a reality, touched the lives of thousands and gave us all tremendous opportunities in aviation.
Now it’s time for that to end, without fanfare.
We will still be at French Valley airport continuing work with Aircraft Restoration Services.
For now, I can say for everyone out there THANK YOU PAT and JUDY for all you have done !!
Thank you everyone!

Attachments:
BF4E273E-DE64-4069-881F-BD0529FA0EF2.jpeg

Craig

Facebook Groups:

U.S. Marine Corps Sikorsky HRS / CH-19 Helicopter Database
U.S. Coast Guard Sikorsky HO4S / HH-19 Helicopter Database

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:20 am 

Sad indeed. I had seen the Huey and other things for sale.

I had the honor of flying in the HAL-3 Huey with Pat and two Vietnam Vet Door Gunners ( Local HAL-3 guys ) from NASNI up to Temecula during the CONA in 2011.

We had planned to do a formation photo shoot with our H-60 and the Huey. Sadly, our Wing Commodore turned it off.

I have pics on the ground with the birds together somewhere.......Great times, amazing people.

:drink3:

USN Ret
Recip FE

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:15 pm 

Does that mean more good stuff sent to scrap?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:55 pm 

exhaustgases wrote:

Well, if you mean the museum itself, I have no idea. “Good stuff” is all a matter of opinion and perhaps more accurately, supply and demand. I had to look high and low for a museum interested enough in what basically amounts to the shell of a Sikorsky HRS helicopter in a boneyard containing 75 such airframes. Helicopter warbirds of any sort are not as big a draw as are Warbird airplanes; disappointing for guys like me but, it is what it is and I’m a realist. The last boneyard of considerable size to be scrapped was a decade ago and located in Tucson. It contained over 100 Sikorsky S-58’s and only a few escaped.

I wish the folks at Wings & Rotors well and indeed, I hope their collection finds good homes.

Craig

Facebook Groups:

U.S. Marine Corps Sikorsky HRS / CH-19 Helicopter Database
U.S. Coast Guard Sikorsky HO4S / HH-19 Helicopter Database

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:21 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

exhaustgases wrote:

The Huey isn't registered to the museum & neither are some of the other airframes. They're registered to Aircraft Restoration Services.

Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still.

The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:30 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

That's a bummer, a truly unique museum. They had some really neat birds there..

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:42 am 

Sorry to hear about the closure of the museum.

I assume the F4H-1F/F-4A Phantom II project for sale is with Aircraft Restoration Services and is not affected.

But will it have to be moved?

Jim C.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:56 am 

jcochr50 wrote:
Sorry to hear about the closure of the museum.

I assume the F4H-1F/F-4A Phantom II project for sale is with Aircraft Restoration Services and is not affected.

But will it have to be moved?

Jim C.

Yes, I thought it had been listed on Platinum Fighters. Currently, it is not. The Huey is on there though

From what Pat talked about, the Navy was not happy about them flying it. :roll:

USN Ret
Recip FE

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:30 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Combatmech wrote:

Yes, I thought it had been listed on Platinum Fighters. Currently, it is not. The Huey is on there though

From what Pat talked about, the Navy was not happy about them flying it. :roll:

*Flight* is still short almost $2M for engine overhauls

Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still.

The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:18 pm 

I am not optimistic that we will see the Phantom ever fly, but I would love to see it someday.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:25 pm 

Col. Rohr wrote:
From what Pat talked about, the Navy was not happy about them flying it. :roll:[/quote]

Too darn bad if the Navy didn't want it in civilian hands then they should have never let it go plain and simple I'm tired of hearing both the USAFM and NHHC bitching about civilians flying there former aircraft and helicopters. It's about time for someone from Congress to tell both the USAF and USN to tell both to stfu already.[/quote]

Congress? Seriously? Those idiots have no clue that they work for us. Now that I have broken a cardinal rule and ventured into politics I might as well say that we live under a kakistocracy. Unless there is an overwhelming national security issue, and I mean OVERWHELMING, then there is little need to for the powers to be stopping people from flying former military airplanes. The FAA is quite capable of covering the safety issues.

CB

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/jinxx1/Desrt_Wings.html

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:20 pm 

Col. Rohr wrote:
From what Pat talked about, the Navy was not happy about them flying it. :roll:[/quote]

Too darn bad if the Navy didn't want it in civilian hands then they should have never let it go plain and simple I'm tired of hearing both the USAFM and NHHC bitching about civilians flying there former aircraft and helicopters. It's about time for someone from Congress to tell both the USAF and USN to tell both to stfu already.[/quote]
And our $ paid for it to begin with. I guess they would like everything else we paid for, give it to china on a scrap boat, rather than a US person enjoying it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:55 am 

This thread went south rapidly....... pop2

USN Ret
Recip FE