Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:28 am 
S/N Geek

I have some aircraft in some old pictures to try and ID. I need to be able to tell the differences between the Hudson, Ventura, Electras, etc. Where can I find good line drawings of these types. Preferably on the web so I can quickly get my hands on them. However I have heard about a book called "Lockheed Twins". Is this a good resource? Anyone know of an ISBN number and other details?

Regards,

Mike

http://www.facebook.com/AerialVisuals

Do you want to find locations of displayed, stored or active aircraft? Then start with the The Locator.
Do you want to find or contribute to the documented history of an aircraft? If so then start with the Airframes Database.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:36 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

mrhenniger wrote:
I have some aircraft in some old pictures to try and ID. I need to be able to tell the differences between the Hudson, Ventura, Electras, etc. Where can I find good line drawings of these types. Preferably on the web so I can quickly get my hands on them. However I have heard about a book called "Lockheed Twins". Is this a good resource? Anyone know of an ISBN number and other details?

Regards,

Mike

Try this site http://freespace.virgin.net/m.zoeller/

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Amazingly, I'm working on Lockheed twins at the moment Mike!

a quick lesson:

Lockheed 10 - nice, slim fast looking. Came first.

Lockheed 12 - fast fewer seats than the 10. Looks VERY similar. Cowling tapers to the rear is the clue I use.

Lockheed 14 - Fat version of above, became:

Lockheed Hudson - above with guns, glazed nose etc. Fat, no step for ventral position, short compared to:

Lockheed Ventura etc (this is where I lose interest) Avaliable as military (not normally a glazed nose (different to Hudson) and with step for ventral gun position under rear fuselage.

Civil version (getting shaky here... ) 16? As above, but without guns.

Have a look over on the vintage aviation forum, and on the FP forum there was a thread a few days ago (with pics) of Hudson Survivors - but the usual Venturas got in there.

This guide's a bit wobbly, but is a quick one - corrections from the more knowledgeable hapily recieved...

Cheers James K

Post subject: Lockheed Twins
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:54 pm 
The book ISBN is 0 85130 284 X .
It was published in 2001 by Air Britain the author Peter J Marson.
It's an excellent hard-back thick and large volume with details (including drawings ) of all types plus conversions, full development description, lists of users and production histories of each individual aircraft.

Post subject: Lockheed Twins
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:24 pm 

Mike,
Try this site: [url]http://freespace.virgin.net/m.zoeller/

bill word[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:20 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

James,

I thought your "quickie" lesson was just fine, except you stopped one twin short of the design series: the Harpoon! Probably easiest way for the novice to tell PV-2 from PV-1 is that the Harpoon has the larger, "squared-off" vertical stabilizer and rudder. Also, where the Ventura's horizontal stabilizer extends outward slightly from the verticals, the Harpoon's horizontal ends "flush" with the verticals.

Probably the biggest design difference between the PV-1 and PV-2 was the Harpoon's extended wingspan. I'm sure some of the crews missed the hotrod feel of the Ventura, but single-engine operation on the Ventura's smaller wing was a challenge, and I'm sure the Harpoon pilots were happier in the long run (especially if trying to get back from Paramushiro to the Aleutians on a single engine).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Dan,
Thanks. Yes, I'd missed the Harpoon. I think it all went wrong (aesthetically) with the Model 14! I also can stand corrected - early Venturas had 'glass' noses; like the Hudson, so it's the Ventral Step that tells 'em apart for certain.