Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Classic Rotors
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:58 am 

When I first saw the "Wings and Rotors museum now closed" thread, I was afraid it might be Classic Rotors. Glad I was wrong.

That being said, I wonder if we will ever see the H-21 fly again. And wonder if there is any chance that the CH-37 project will "ever" get off the ground.

Love the Fifties/Sixties era H-19, H-21, H-34 and H-37 piston engined helicopters.

Post subject: Re: Classic Rotors
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:51 pm 

You and me both. Back in the mid 70's there was an outfit with 2 H21's based at Rainbow airport in Franklin WI. IIRC, there were 2 H21's on the far Eastern side of the field. They had "HI Lift" painted
on the side. When I was in Jr high, I remember hearing a racket and rode my bike south. There was a shopko department store being Built and there was one of the H-21's putting the air conditioners on the roof. Remember a guy on theground doing the rigging, a guy laying on his stomach in the doorway,
and 1 guy flying. Never even thought to grab a camera.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:02 pm 

Another story from the archives. Being a truck driver I've worked with some interesting characters.
One guy I worked with flew OH6's in Vietnam, and H37's in Germany. He told me about a time they
were flying to an airshow somewhere in Europe and the CO went along and brought his car so they'd
be able to explore. I want to say it was a chevelle or something like that, but anyways it fit in the cargo hold and off they went. Along the way the crew chief watched with horror as a small nydraulic leak (there were lots according to Jim) started dripping on the car. He crawled up to the cockpit and told them, they landed as soon as they could and the chevelle had a new bubbly paint job on the roof. Oh well, it seemed like a good idea at the time. :drinkers:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:46 pm 

L-188 wrote:
You and me both. Back in the mid 70's there was an outfit with 2 H21's based at Rainbow airport in Franklin WI. IIRC, there were 2 H21's on the far Eastern side of the field. They had "HI Lift" painted
on the side. When I was in Jr high, I remember hearing a racket and rode my bike south. There was a shopko department store being Built and there was one of the H-21's putting the air conditioners on the roof. Remember a guy on theground doing the rigging, a guy laying on his stomach in the doorway,
and 1 guy flying. Never even thought to grab a camera.

I believe Hi Lift continued to operate for a bit into the 1980's. The owner was a part time instructor at the A&P school I went to. One day he brought one of the H-21's in. The departure was the most interesting I've seen a helicopter do! While I'm sure it's nothing new or drastically different, he lifted up and back at quite an intense (to me) angle and rate. Later I heard one of them crashed (soft-ish, not major), I believe while doing a lift. Thanks L-188 for sparking an old memory!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:17 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

L-188 wrote:
Along the way the crew chief watched with horror as a small nydraulic leak (there were lots according to Jim) started dripping on the car. He crawled up to the cockpit and told them, they landed as soon as they could and the chevelle had a new bubbly paint job on the roof. Oh well, it seemed like a good idea at the time. :drinkers:
MIL-H-5606 is mineral oil, not sure why it would bubble paint.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:42 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I think MIL-H-5606 is hydraulic fluid.
And it don't like natural rubber... :)

Phil

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:30 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

phil65 wrote:
I think MIL-H-5606 is hydraulic fluid.
And it don't like natural rubber... :)

Phil
It is.

Quote:
This is a highly-refined mineral-based oil derived from crude.

As a mineral-based oil, it is highly refined to remove impurities and increase performance levels. This oil is very "clean." It contains minimal if any paraffin (wax) that would affect flow rate and performance at low temperatures. As a result, this oil performs at temperatures as cool as -60 F.