Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:23 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The training film "Airplane Dead Reckoning" demonstrates how to use AAF Form No. 21A - Log Sheet - Navigator. Similarly, "Position Finding on the Earth", Training Film 1-204, shows use of AC Form No. 21D - Ageton Solution - Line of Position. If you want to try the latter exercise out for yourself, all three of the featured materials are available online. The book at 9:30, Dead Reckoning Altitude and Azimuth Table: Ageton, is available on Hathi Trust, Form No. 21D was included in a previous post, and the February 1935 Des Moines (U-6) Sectional Aeronautical Chart digitized by the Library of Congress. (Luckily, the date of the sectional can be pinpointed because the Morse code below the text "To Kansas City" is significantly shorter on the September 1934 chart and the low-frequency radio range at Kirksville Airport did not appear until August 1935 chart.)

A document from 1948, Technical Publications for Aircraft Files, T.O. 01-1-10, describes the locations in which various forms are to be kept and the relevant references:
  • AF Form No. 1 - Map Case in Pilot's Compartment - AF Reg. 15-1
  • AF Form No. 1G - Map Case in Pilot's Compartment - AF Reg. 15-1
  • AF Form No. 1A - Map Case in Pilot's Compartment - AF Reg. 15-1
  • AF Form No. 1A-G - Map Case in Pilot's Compartment - AF Reg. 15-1
  • AF Form No. 15 - Aircraft Data Case - AF Reg. 15-15
  • AF Form No. 15A - Aircraft Data Case - AF Reg. 15-15
  • AF Form No. 41B - Aircraft Data Case - T.O. 00-20A
  • AF Form No. 60A - Aircraft Data Case - T.O. 00-20A
  • AF Form No. 60B - Aircraft Data Case - T.O. 00-20A
  • AF Form No. 61 - Aircraft Data Case - T.O. 00-20A
  • AF Form No. 263 - Aircraft Data Case - AF Reg. 15-263
  • AF Form No. 263A - Aircraft Data Case - AF Reg. 15-263
  • AF Form No. 263C - Aircraft Data Case - AF Reg. 15-263

In regards to the above, an example of the pouch for Form No. 60B, a holder for Forms No. 1 and 1A, and an alternate location for Form No. 15 were mentioned in previous posts (1, 2, 3).

To connect to the Link trainer thread, I did find a copy of a form specifically created for them:

AC Form No. 47 - Instrument Flying Trainer - Operation, Inspection and Maintenance Record
(Source: HathiTrust)

EDIT (21-12-12): Added missing sectional aeronautical chart and note of date identification of same.

Warbird Philosophy Webmaster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:09 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Similar to the example mentioned in a previous post, this example was also found on the outside of a G-1 flight computer box. Note that both were packed by the same individual!

AAF Form No. 90 - Aircraft Instrument
Attachment:
Aircraft Instrument (Reduced).png
Aircraft Instrument (Reduced).png [ 941.7 KiB | Viewed 1584 times ]

Also, although it doesn't appear to be an actual numbered form, below is a Identification Card for use on the outside of a gun camera case:

Identification Card
Attachment:
Identification Card (Reduced).png
Identification Card (Reduced).png [ 495.34 KiB | Viewed 1584 times ]

Here are higher resolution copies of the above:
(Source: Imgur)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:06 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

A bit off topic, but the Air Scouts of the Boy Scouts of America did have quite a few surplus aircraft shortly after the war, including the P-61 now at the NMUSAF. I took a quick-and-dirty shot of this item thanks to the gentleman who saved the paperwork from the Paducah Air Scouts' B-17:

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:23 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Chris Brame wrote:
A bit off topic, but the Air Scouts of the Boy Scouts of America did have quite a few surplus aircraft shortly after the war, including the P-61 now at the NMUSAF. I took a quick-and-dirty shot of this item thanks to the gentleman who saved the paperwork from the Paducah Air Scouts' B-17:

That is really fascinating! As an Eagle Scout myself, I have been interested in the history of the Air Scouts ever since I heard about them. Unfortunately, they've only ever been a historical footnote - if that - in anything I've encountered. So I've never known much about them. The requirements under the ranks immediately reminded me of the merit badge checklists and how you had to have all your "blue cards" in order. Thanks for sharing!

It seems that the Air Scouts may have been an attempt to keep the prewar "airmindedness" going, but what apparently happened is that the Civil Air Patrol and other aviation focused youth organizations overtook them. I'm guessing the Boy Scouts just didn't think maintaining the program was worth the effort when it was essentially redundant. Meanwhile, the Sea Scouts, the other BSA non-land based program, has stuck around. (I wonder if we'll ever get the "Space Scouts"?)

I remember reading that NMUSAF's P-61 came from the Boy Scouts and thinking that it was strange that they would have an airplane, but until your post just now I never put two-and-two together with the Air Scouts. A while back I requested the unit records for the 1100th Operations Group, the unit to which the TSWM's B-25 was assigned postwar, and being amazed that in 1954 the associated Civil Air Patrol Squadron had a single B-25!

More on topic, it's clear how they really parroted the Individual Flight Record - Student. If you put the two forms side-by-side, the similarities in formatting (e.g. the attendance and dues summaries section looks just like the card no. section), font (e.g. the title), and title (both are named "Individual...Record"), are evident. Just more evidence how, just like the continued use of the color coded part tags and the term "E6B", USAAF standards had an effect on the postwar aviation world.

EDIT: One quick web search later, and I learned that the Air Scout unit that owned NMUSAF's P-61 was sponsored by Warren Grimes and the airplane almost ended up with Earl Reinert.[1][2]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:09 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Although it's not a form, the following "Pilot's Information Index" that belonged to Russell B. Witte, Jr. is an example of the amount of paperwork pilots had to deal with:
Attachment:
Pilot's Information Index - Page 1 (Reduced, Converted).png
Pilot's Information Index - Page 1 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.08 MiB | Viewed 1494 times ]

Attachment:
Pilot's Information Index - Page 2 (Reduced, Converted).png
Pilot's Information Index - Page 2 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.12 MiB | Viewed 1494 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:29 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

NAVAER-2650 - Aircraft Equipment Condition Tag
Attachment:
Aircraft Equipment Condition Tag - Part 1 (Reduced, Converted).png
Aircraft Equipment Condition Tag - Part 1 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 799.76 KiB | Viewed 1439 times ]

Attachment:
Aircraft Equipment Condition Tag - Part 2 (Reduced, Converted).png
Aircraft Equipment Condition Tag - Part 2 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 782.42 KiB | Viewed 1439 times ]

R.C.A.F. E33 - Serviceable [Part Tag]
Attachment:
Serviceable - Part 1 (Reduced, Converted).png
Serviceable - Part 1 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 880.37 KiB | Viewed 1439 times ]

Attachment:
Serviceable - Part 2 (Reduced, Converted).png
Serviceable - Part 2 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 828.94 KiB | Viewed 1439 times ]

EDIT (22-04-02): I almost forgot. I was going to include a image of two additional RCAF parts tags I found online the other day:

R.C.A.F. E. 330 - Assembly Deficiency Tag
(Source: WW2Aircraft.net)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:00 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

More from the Harold A. Baumgartner Collection mentioned in a previous post. This time its Civil Aeronautics Administration forms from training. It is of course only part of the booklet, but the remaining pages are simply duplicates of the fourth and fifth images. As before, the images in the following post were found inside it:

Form ACA 1173 - Controlled Indoctrination Flight Course Pilot Rating Book
Attachment:
Pilot Rating Book - Part 1 (Reduced, Converted).png
Pilot Rating Book - Part 1 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 936.05 KiB | Viewed 1345 times ]

Attachment:
Pilot Rating Book - Part 2 (Reduced, Converted).png
Pilot Rating Book - Part 2 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.1 MiB | Viewed 1345 times ]

Attachment:
Pilot Rating Book - Part 3 (Reduced, Converted).png
Pilot Rating Book - Part 3 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.04 MiB | Viewed 1345 times ]

Attachment:
Pilot Rating Book - Part 4 (Reduced, Converted).png
Pilot Rating Book - Part 4 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 988.97 KiB | Viewed 1345 times ]

Attachment:
Pilot Rating Book - Part 5 (Reduced, Converted).png
Pilot Rating Book - Part 5 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1 MiB | Viewed 1345 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:06 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Form ACA-342A - Flight Instructor's Recommendation or Pilot Flight Test Report
Attachment:
Flight Instructor's Recommendation or Pilot Flight Test Report - Part 1 (Reduced, Converted).png
Flight Instructor's Recommendation or Pilot Flight Test Report - Part 1 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.03 MiB | Viewed 1345 times ]

Attachment:
Flight Instructor's Recommendation or Pilot Flight Test Report - Part 2 (Reduced, Converted).png
Flight Instructor's Recommendation or Pilot Flight Test Report - Part 2 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.02 MiB | Viewed 1345 times ]

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 10:18 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Regarding the "Classification Folder" included in a previous post, I came across an article titled "What is Classification" that may offer some insights. Unfortunately, it cannot be read as it is behind a paywall. However, an illustration on the title page does mention AAF Manual 35-1. The manual describes on page 447 that AAF's "Personnel Data System" uses "Machine Record Classification Index Cards" to track duty assignments and military occupational specialty. Interestingly, TM 12-425, starting on page 42, includes a very detailed step-by-step photographic explanation of how to use the punch card system mentioned in a previous post. The documents used in this process are:
  • WD AGO Form No. 20 - Soldier's Qualification Card
  • WD AGO Form No. 66-1 - Officer's and Warrant Officer's Qualification Card
  • WD AGO Form No. 66-2 - AAF Officer's Qualification Record
  • WD AGO Form No. 66-3 - AAF Medical Officer's Qualification Record

I was also lucky enough to find a jackpot of forms and other similar documents in a Manual of Procedure for a Port of Aerial Embarkation for the 1503d Army Air Forces Base Unit. This includes a copies of:

AAF Form No. 96B - Passenger Manifest
Attachment:
Passenger Manifest (Reduced, Converted).png
Passenger Manifest (Reduced, Converted).png [ 821.78 KiB | Viewed 1268 times ]

(Source: Ike Skelton Combined Arms Research Library Digital Library)

AAF Form No. 104A - Shipping Ticket
Attachment:
Shipping Ticket (Converted).png
Shipping Ticket (Converted).png [ 1.07 MiB | Viewed 1268 times ]

Note: AAF Form No. 104B was included in a previous post.

AAF Form No. 115 - Property Record Card
Attachment:
Property Record Card - Part 1 (Converted).png
Property Record Card - Part 1 (Converted).png [ 59.26 KiB | Viewed 1268 times ]

Attachment:
Property Record Card - Part 2 (Converted).png
Property Record Card - Part 2 (Converted).png [ 47.15 KiB | Viewed 1268 times ]

Finally, a copy of AFPDC Form No. 50 - Assignment Recommendations is available from the Document Library page on the website A Tribute to Frederic N. Hernandez.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:34 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The overriding question I'm sure many have had throughout this thread is: "Who cares?" or "Why should I be interested in such a boring topic?" I knew going into this project it was something that I would have to address and I've had it in the back of my mind ever since. Sure, I enjoy the subject matter because I have an unhealthy interested in organization, but what about everyone else?

There are all sorts of ways I could answer it. By pointing out that historians love bureaucracy because it creates historical records that are excellent for reference. Or by noting that keeping accurate tallies of equipment and personnel are key factors in maintaining the logistics flow that wins wars. Or even by explaining how good organization allows information to be located quickly and efficiency. However, I would like to cover a different aspect of the importance of forms by highlighting one instance in particular: the DD214.

I came upon this idea while visiting the gift shop on a trip to NMUSAF the other day. Among the books and airplane models, one of the various items you could buy was something called a "Woobie DD-214". If people hated forms so much, why would they want to buy a multi-purpose poncho liner/blanket printed with one? I think the answer is because they provide validation. Yes, they can be used in a practical sense to justify various social privileges (e.g. preferential parking spaces) and financial benefits (disability benefis) or act as a resume of sorts. However, deeper down, I think they act as proof of what one has accomplished and something of which they can be proud. The advertisement for the woobie even states "[t]ake your military pride literally anywhere".

Pilots' log books work the same way. The most common way for a pilot to establish his or her credentials is by stating the number of hours they have. Again, however, this is about far more than just qualifying for a position. There is serious respect for someone who has, say, 64,000 hours spread across 14 log books. Part of the swagger that comes with being a pilot is based on the knowledge that behind you is a paper trail substantiating your exploits. It's why, when a pilot finally goes west and the family seeks a good home for their mother or father's collection at the local aviation museum - when so many of the other items - uniforms, manuals, equipment - have unfortunately been lost or discarded over the years - the cherished log books remain.

(As a disclaimer, I am neither a veteran nor a pilot, but a historian. So I do not have access to the same experiences that these individuals do. So, while I feel I have somewhat of a good idea of the feeling these two groups based on my interactions with both, it is possible that my analysis is incorrect.)

So, I hope this bit of philosophical digression wasn't too academic. If it was, don't worry, we now return to our regularly scheduled programming of images of forms already in progress.
-----
To follow up on the Civilian Pilot Training Program forms mentioned in previous posts (1, 2, 3, 4), below are a few non-military forms from the Civil Aeronautics Administration:

Form AB-47 - Student Pilot's Permit
(Source: Physical Standards for Airplane Pilots via Google Books)

Form AB-51 - Transport Pilot's License & Form AB-111 - Application for Student Pilot's Permit
(Source: Aero Digest via Internet Archive)

[Form] AB-54 - Pilot's Identification Card
(Source: Alaska's Digital Archives)

Form AB-?? - Waiver for Physical Defect & Form FL-20 - Medical Examiner's Certificate

Form AB-72 - [Mechanic's] Identification Card & Form AB-72A - Mechanic's License
(Source: Aero Digest via Internet Archive)

Form FL-41 - [Medical Certificate]

A few other ACA forms:

ACA 305 - Application for Airworthiness Certificate and/or Annual Inspection of an Aircraft
(Source: AirCorps Library)

ACA 935 - [Certificate]
(Source: eBay)

ACA 1362B - Certificate of Airworthiness
(Source: Twitter)

ACA-2135 - Airman Identification Card
(Source: Alaska's Digital Archives)

EDIT (22-11-06): Coincidentally, just the other day I happened across an article in the March/April 1990 issue of Mech with the exact same title as the question I asked above: Who Cares? It addresses the importance of correctly filling out VIDS/MAF forms by citing the various ways that information is used by higher ranking officers to inform decisions regarding procurement, discover trends in aircraft incidents, conduct statistical analysis, etc.

Last edited by Noha307 on Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:33 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I came across a document the other day, Disposition of Records, that had a very long list of postwar USAF forms:

List of AF Forms
  • AF Form 1T - Synthetic Trainer Report
  • AF Form 14 - [Aircraft Accident Report]
  • AF Form 18-A - Airfield Runway Traffic Reports of Landings and Take-offs
  • AF Form 21 - [Navigator's Log]
  • AF Form 24 - Application for Appointment in the United States Air Force Reserve
  • AF Form 38 - Emergency Treatment Tag
  • AF Form 40 - Authorization for Inactive Duty Training Records
  • AF Form 45 - Bombsight Equipment Data Book
  • AF Form 46 - Parachute Log
  • AF Form 47 - Training Devices; Operation, Inspection, and Maintenance Record
  • AF Form 47 - Certificate of Clearance and Record of Personnel Security Investigation [Ed. This is not a typo, this designation is listed twice.]
  • AF Form 48 - Work Orders
  • AF Form 51 - Freight Routing Report
  • AF Form 60A - Technical Instruction Compliance Record (Aircraft)
  • AF Form 60B - Technical Instruction Compliance Record (Engines)
  • AF Form 61 - Propellor or Rotor Blade Historical Report
  • AF Form 77 - USAF Officer Effectiveness Report
  • AF Form 85 - Inventory Adjustment Vouchers
  • AF Form 85A - Inventory Count Card
  • AF Form 90A - Abstract of Plant Account
  • AF Form 90A-1 - Abstract of Plant Account (Supplemental) [Ed. Noted as previously being titled Record of Property on Memorandum Receipt.]
  • AF Form 94A - Cabin Identification Tag
  • AF Form 94B - Baggage Identification Tag or Claim Check
  • AF Form 94C - Baggage Slip
  • AF Form 94D - Patients Baggage Slip
  • AF Form 95 - Airbill
  • AF Form 95A - Airbill Intransit Record
  • AF Form 96A - Cargo and Mail Manifest
  • AF Form 96B - Passenger Manifest
  • AF Form 104B - [USAF Requisition and Shipping Document]
  • AF Form 104C - [USAF Requisition and Shipping Document]
  • AF Form 105 F2 - Stock Record Card
  • AF Form 107 - Monthly Report of Federal Civilian Employee Health Services
  • AF Form 110 - [Report of Aircraft Statistics]
  • AF Form 113 - Local Flight Clearance
  • AF Form 114 - Cylinder Compression Check Sheet
  • AF Form 120 - Air Force Post Office Operation Report
  • AF Form 122 - Supervisor's Report of Ground Accident
  • AF Form 122a - USAF Ground Accident Summary
  • AF Form 125 - Application for Extended Active Duty with United States Air Force
  • AF Form 163 - Registered Material, Transfer Report
  • AF Form 164 - Registered Material, Destruction Report
  • AF Form 165 - Registered Material, Inventory Report
  • AF Form 174 - Monthly Information Program Reports
  • AF Form 176 - Permanent Claims Record
  • AF Form 180 - Hold Harmless Agreement
  • AF Form 181 - Aircraft Permit to Use USAF Bases Within the Continental United States
  • AF Form 183 - Daily Military Strength Report
  • AF Form 183A - Daily Duty Status Report
  • AF Form 183A-1 - Excused from Duty Report
  • AF Form 183B - Morning Report
  • AF Form 183C - Morning Report, Casualty Accounting
  • AF Form 186 - Individual Record, Education Services Program
  • AF Form 186A - Career Study Plan
  • AF Form 186B - Progress Record
  • AF Form 191 - Ammunition Disposition Report
  • AF Form 192 - Civilian Suggestion Program Report
  • AF Form 203 - Report of Medical Disqualifications, Flying Personnel
  • AF Form 208A - [Inspection Record]
  • AF Form 208B - [Inspection Record]
  • AF Form 208C - [Inspection Record]
  • AF Form 219 - Duty Roster
  • AF Form 220 - (Non-Productive)
  • AF Form 220A - (Productive) Materiel Transaction Slip
  • AF Form 221 - Property Accounting Inventory Count Cards
  • AF Form 223 - [Property Accounting Balance Card]
  • AF Form 223C - [Property Accounting Balance Card]
  • AF Form 223D - [Property Accounting Balance Card]
  • AF Form 224 - [Property Accounting Transaction Card]
  • AF Form 224A - [Property Accounting Transaction Card]
  • AF Form 230 - Monthly USAF Supply Transaction Register
  • AF Form 234 - Service Stock Issue, Turn-in-Card
  • AF Form 235 - Service Stock Balance Card
  • AF Form 236 - Materiel Cost Card
  • AF Form 248 - Report of Finance Operations
  • AF Form 263 - Aircraft Checkers Report Records [Ed. Designation changed to DD Form 780 as of the date of publication of the source.]
  • AF Form 278 - Fire Report
  • AF Form 279 - [Application for Identification]
  • AF Form 282 - Aircraft Crash Fire and Rescue Report
  • AF Form 283 - United States Air Force Reserve Report
  • AF Form 296 - Records Control Schedule
  • AF Form 296a - Records Control Schedule, Continuation Sheet
  • AF Form 309 - Dental Health Record
  • AF Form 310 - [Document Receipt]
  • AF Form 310A - [Document Receipt]
  • AF Form 312 - Boat Operations and Maintenace Log
  • AF Form 313 - Boat, Marine Engine Technical Instruction Compliance Log
  • AF Form 316 - Crypto Items Register
  • AF Form 325 - Labor Cost Card
  • AF Form 326 - Labor Cost Card
  • AF Form 328 - Work Order Cost Record
  • AF Form 329 - Real Estate Facilities Management and Preservation Monthly Cost Report (Operating Accounts)
  • AF Form 330 - Real Estate Facilities Management and Preservation Monthly Cost Report (Control Account)
  • AF Form 332 - Work Order Request
  • AF Form 334 - Cost Ledger
  • AF Form 335 - Cost Distribution Ledger
  • AF Form 335A - Cost Distribution Ledger
  • AF Form 356 - Proceedings and Findings of Air Force Physical Evaluation Board
  • AF Form 362 - Excess Property Report
  • AF Form 364 - Report of Proceedings of Boards of Officers
  • AF Form 385 - Cash Purchase Receipt
  • AF Form 424 - Holding Account Balance and Status Cards
  • AF Form 427 - MARSGRAM
  • AF Form 446 - Issue Slip
  • AF Form 447 - Turn-in-Slip
  • AF Form 475 - Training Report
  • AF Form 488 - Surplus Property Report
  • AF Form 490 - Dental Service Authorizations
  • AF Form 502 - Checklist for Personnel Processing for Oversea Shipment
  • AF Form 516 - Maintenance Check Sheet
  • AF Form 519 - Dental Prosthetic Case Record
  • AF Form 525 - Recommendations for Records Disposition
  • AF Form 526 - Inventory: Report of Long Life Items "In-Use?"
  • AF Form 526A - Inventory: Report of Long Life Items "In-Use"
  • AF Form 527 - Officer's Command Personnel Records Folder
  • AF Form 541 - Food Service Operations Report
  • AF Form 542 - Subsistence Stock Record
  • AF Form 543 - Food Service Issue Slip
  • AF Form 545 - Consolidated Meals Census
  • AF Form 547 - Report of Food Service Operations
  • AF Form 580 - Central Nursing Supply Issue Record
  • AF Form 583 - Operating Room Schedule
  • AF Form 585 - Laboratory Work Record
  • AF Form 586 - Central Nursing Supply Inventory Record
  • AF Form 587 - Ward Nursing Assignment and Report
  • AF Form 625 - Officer Assignment and Preference Record
  • AF Form 641 - Position Survey
  • AF Form 648 - Vehicle and Equipment Historical Record
  • AF Form 685 - Receipt of Transferred Military Pay Records, Notification
  • AF Form 690 - Registered Material, Document Register
  • AF Form 691 - Registered Material, Current Inventory Record
  • AF Form 692 - Registered Material, Holder Record
  • AF Form 708 - Swimming Pool Operations Log
  • AF Form 740 - Crypto Voucher and Package Register
  • AF Form 746 - Record of Custodians
  • AF Form 809 - Cost Distribution Voucher
  • AF Form 810 - Expense Ledger
  • AF Form 811 - Miscellaneous Expense Distribution Ledger
  • AF Form 812 - Expense Report
  • AF Form 831 - Analysis of Monetary Transactions
  • AF Form 833 - Monthly Operating Report
  • AF Form 1000 - Employee Suggestion
  • AF Form 1001 - Recommendation for Incentive Award
  • AF Form 1002 - Report on Incentive Awards Program
  • AF Form 1041 - Deferment Agreement
  • AF Form 1042 - Change in Flying Status for Medical Reasons
  • AF Form 1047 - Patient's Trust Fund Ledger
  • AF Form 1048 - Patient's Trust Fund Cash Receipts Journal
  • AF Form 1049 - Patient's Trust Fund Cash Disbursement Journal
  • AF Form 1056 - [Category Agreement of Certain Members of the AFROTC]
  • AF Form 1056A - [Category Agreement of Certain Members of the AFROTC]
  • AF Form 1056B - [Category Agreement of Certain Members of the AFROTC]
  • AF Form 1056C - [Category Agreement of Certain Members of the AFROTC]
  • AF Form 1059 - Application for Commissary Store Permit
  • AF Form 1065 - Base Aircrew Effectiveness Report
  • AF Form 1095 - Accession Information Record
  • AF Form 1120 - Unit Property Record
  • AF Form 1122 - Personnel Effects Inventory
  • AF Form 1123 - Morning Data Record (Officer)
  • AF Form 1124 - Morning Data Record (Airman)
  • AF Form 1248 - [Application for Identification]
  • AF Form 1378 - Position Description
  • AF Form 1427 - Consolidated Real Property and Materiel Report
  • AF Form 1428A - [Fire Department Fire Record Journal]
  • AF Form 1428B - [Fire Department Fire Record Journal]
  • AF Form 1429 - Individual Run Report

The very significant growth in the number of forms is likely the result of the USAF's new found independence from the Army, which presumably would have had it's own forms for these purposes. Previously, therefore, the then-USAAF would have only had to create forms related to aviation. There is at least some overlap with the World War II sequence. For example, Form 60, as noted above by cvairwerks, is the same. Note that some of the forms are only listed as whole "series" in the source document and their names are listed in brackets above. Other, command specific, forms include:

List of AMC Forms
  • AMC Form 39 - Aircraft Engine Disassembly
  • AMC Form 51 - [Industrial Equipment Record]
  • AMC Form 51F - [Industrial Equipment Record]
  • AMC Form 63A - Application for Government Bill of Lading
  • AMC Form 141 - Overhaul Engine Block Test
  • AMC Form 168 - Defective Materials Report
  • AMC Form 195 - Master Repair Schedule
  • AMC Form 195A - Master Repair Schedule Prime Supply Depot Worksheet
  • AMC Form 195B - Master Repair Schedule Overhaul Worksheet
  • AMC Form 195D - Annual Requirements for Repair Card
  • AMC Form 255 - Financial Data Record Card
  • AMC Form 260 - Provisioning Control Records, Contractual Information
  • AMC Form 263 - Statement of Policy to Provide Data Governing the Initial Provisioning of Spare Parts; Design Changes; Production Lists; Design Change Lists
  • AMC Form 296 - Spare Parts Document Correction Sheet
  • AMC Form 321 - [Programming Check list]
  • AMC Form 321a - [Programming Check list]

List of ATC Forms
  • ATC-PT Form 41A - Revenue Ticket
  • ATC-PT Form 41B - Excess Baggage Coupon
  • ATC-PT Form 52 - ATC Lost Baggage Report
  • ATC-PT Form 53 - ATC Found Baggage Report
  • ATC-PT Form 56 - Classified Traffic Receipt
  • ATC-PT Form 60 - Refund Certificate
  • ATC-PT Form 67 - U. S. Government Cargo Shipment Request
  • ATC-PT Form 95B-3 - Revenue Airwaybill
  • ATC-PT Form 95B-4 - Revenue Airwayill, Collect Charges
  • ATC-PT Form 95-E - Revenue Consignee Acceptance
  • ATC-TRAF Form 10 - Priority Control Record

List of MATS Forms
  • MATS Form 12 - Fleet Service Check List
  • MATS Form 14 - Mail Request and Mail Receipt
  • MATS Form 24 - Emergency Equipment Check List
  • MATS Form 34 - Official Mail Tag
  • MATS Form 50 - Request for Flight Meals
  • MATS Form 65 - Revenue Traffic Termination Report
  • MATS Form 66 - Revenue Traffic Sales Report
  • MATS Form 68 - Flight Steward Trip Report
  • MATS Form R-2 - Embarkation Card
  • MATS Form R-2 - Debarkation Card [Ed. This is not a typo, this designation is listed twice.]
  • MATS Form R-36 - Bimonthly Lost and Found Baggage Bulletin
  • MATS Form R-38 - Inventory of Found Baggage
  • MATS Form R-39 - Holding Report, Baggage of ....
  • MATS Form R-40 - Search Request Form
  • MATS Form R-41 - Shipping Information, Baggage of ....
  • MATS Form R-42 - Fleet Service Originating Base Interior Cleaning Check List
  • MATS Form R-43 - Fleet Service Enroute Cleaning Check List
  • MATS Form R-45 - Traffic Movement Control Clearance Log
  • MATS Form R-46 - Baggage Check Room Inventory
  • MATS Form R-47 - Receiving Record
  • MATS-AT Form 19 - Mail Airbill Envelope

Various Forms
  • AF PRT Form 5 - Completed Answer Sheet
  • AF PRT Form 237 - Test Roster
  • AFM&S Form 10 - Assembly Inspection Check Sheet
  • AFROTC Form 41 - AFROTC Cadet Record
  • AFROTC Form 73 - Cadet Evaluation Form
  • AFTO Form 17 - USAF Marine Masters' Record Logs
  • SAM Form 157 - Float Type Carburetor Technical Order Compliance Record
  • SAM Form 193 - Airplane or Engine Hand Receipt

For the sake of comparison, modern PDF forms with fillable fields are:

Also, thanks to the work of putting together the Vintage Aviation Logbooks thread, I recently discovered that Air Corps Form No. 6 was just a log book:

Air Corps Form No. 6 - Pilot's Book
[PDF File]
(Source: Museum of Flight)
[PDF file]
(Source: Museum of Flight)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:05 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

A few more from Publications: Alphabetical Index to Air Force Regulations:

List of AF Forms (Cont.)
  • AF Form 15A - Invoice
  • AF Form 23 - Clearance
  • AF Form 23A - Vertical Cross-Section Forecast
  • AF Form 25 - T/O&E Change Report
  • AF Form 39 - Aircraft Accident Log
  • AF Form 65 - Broadcast Record - Aero Code
  • AF Form 98 - TAFOT/TAMET
  • AF Form 115 - Unit Property Record and Equipment Lists
  • AF Form 179 - Library
  • AF Form 185 - Maintenance and Performance Report, Automatic Guns
  • AF Form 205 - [Aircraft Accident Investigating]
  • AF Form 262 - [Inspection Data] or [Flight Test Data]
  • AF Form 323 - Work Performance Report
(Source: Google Books)

Also, I recently scanned a copy of the booklet that was with one of the Norden bombsights, M9B N-13075, we have in storage. As it is a 20 page document, it will take four posts to include all of the images:

AAF Form No. 45 - Bombsight Equipment Data Book
Attachment:
Bombsight Equipment Data Book - Part 1 (Reduced, Converted).png
Bombsight Equipment Data Book - Part 1 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.47 MiB | Viewed 941 times ]

Attachment:
Bombsight Equipment Data Book - Part 2 (Reduced, Converted).png
Bombsight Equipment Data Book - Part 2 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.6 MiB | Viewed 941 times ]

Attachment:
Bombsight Equipment Data Book - Part 3 (Reduced, Converted).png
Bombsight Equipment Data Book - Part 3 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.46 MiB | Viewed 941 times ]

Attachment:
Bombsight Equipment Data Book - Part 4 (Reduced, Converted).png
Bombsight Equipment Data Book - Part 4 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.41 MiB | Viewed 941 times ]

Attachment:
Bombsight Equipment Data Book - Part 5 (Reduced, Converted).png
Bombsight Equipment Data Book - Part 5 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.44 MiB | Viewed 941 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:07 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Part 2

AAF Form No. 45 - Bombsight Equipment Data Book (Cont.)
Attachment:
Bombsight Equipment Data Book - Part 6 (Reduced, Converted).png
Bombsight Equipment Data Book - Part 6 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.43 MiB | Viewed 941 times ]

Attachment:
Bombsight Equipment Data Book - Part 7 (Reduced, Converted).png
Bombsight Equipment Data Book - Part 7 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.42 MiB | Viewed 941 times ]

Attachment:
Bombsight Equipment Data Book - Part 8 (Reduced, Converted).png
Bombsight Equipment Data Book - Part 8 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.38 MiB | Viewed 941 times ]

Attachment:
Bombsight Equipment Data Book - Part 9 (Reduced, Converted).png
Bombsight Equipment Data Book - Part 9 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.38 MiB | Viewed 941 times ]

Attachment:
Bombsight Equipment Data Book - Part 10 (Reduced, Converted).png
Bombsight Equipment Data Book - Part 10 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.42 MiB | Viewed 941 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:10 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Part 3

Attachment:
Bombsight Equipment Data Book - Part 11 (Reduced, Converted).png
Bombsight Equipment Data Book - Part 11 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.42 MiB | Viewed 939 times ]

Attachment:
Bombsight Equipment Data Book - Part 12 (Reduced, Converted).png
Bombsight Equipment Data Book - Part 12 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.39 MiB | Viewed 939 times ]

Attachment:
Bombsight Equipment Data Book - Part 13 (Reduced, Converted).png
Bombsight Equipment Data Book - Part 13 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.37 MiB | Viewed 939 times ]

Attachment:
Bombsight Equipment Data Book - Part 14 (Reduced, Converted).png
Bombsight Equipment Data Book - Part 14 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.41 MiB | Viewed 939 times ]

Attachment:
Bombsight Equipment Data Book - Part 15 (Reduced, Converted).png
Bombsight Equipment Data Book - Part 15 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.35 MiB | Viewed 939 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:13 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Part 4

Attachment:
Bombsight Equipment Data Book - Part 16 (Reduced, Converted).png
Bombsight Equipment Data Book - Part 16 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.3 MiB | Viewed 938 times ]

Attachment:
Bombsight Equipment Data Book - Part 17 (Reduced, Converted).png
Bombsight Equipment Data Book - Part 17 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.31 MiB | Viewed 938 times ]

Attachment:
Bombsight Equipment Data Book - Part 18 (Reduced, Converted).png
Bombsight Equipment Data Book - Part 18 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.36 MiB | Viewed 938 times ]

Attachment:
Bombsight Equipment Data Book - Part 19 (Reduced, Converted).png
Bombsight Equipment Data Book - Part 19 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.56 MiB | Viewed 938 times ]

Attachment:
Bombsight Equipment Data Book - Part 20 (Reduced, Converted).png
Bombsight Equipment Data Book - Part 20 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.41 MiB | Viewed 938 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next