Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:46 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Some of you may have noticed that the letter "D" was missing from the list of charts and forms in a previous post. Well good news, I found a complete set!

...or at least I thought I did. However, I noticed that the names don't match up. Previously, I had assumed that they were part of the same designation sequence. However, it appears there are two sets of documents - one for charts and one for forms. Furthermore, they appear to correspond to each other. So I guess that means I'm still on the lookout for copies of Forms A through E. Oh well!

Chart A - Basic Weight Check List
Attachment:
Chart A - Basic Weight Check List.png
Chart A - Basic Weight Check List.png [ 828.2 KiB | Viewed 2089 times ]

(Source: AirCorps Library)

Chart A-1 - Basic Weight Check List (Continued)
Attachment:
Chart A-1 - Basic Weight Check List (Continued).png
Chart A-1 - Basic Weight Check List (Continued).png [ 1.21 MiB | Viewed 2089 times ]

Chart B - Record of Structural Changes
Attachment:
Chart B - Record of Structural Changes.png
Chart B - Record of Structural Changes.png [ 493.02 KiB | Viewed 2089 times ]

Chart C - Running Log
Attachment:
Chart C - Running Log.png
Chart C - Running Log.png [ 487.42 KiB | Viewed 2089 times ]

Chart D - Cargo (or Supply) List
Attachment:
Chart D - Cargo (or Supply) List.png
Chart D - Cargo (or Supply) List.png [ 901.1 KiB | Viewed 2089 times ]

Chart E (Crew Movement Table of Moments, Bomb Weights & Ammunition Weights)
Attachment:
Chart E (Crew Movement Table of Moments, Bomb Weights & Ammunition Weights).png
Chart E (Crew Movement Table of Moments, Bomb Weights & Ammunition Weights).png [ 820.49 KiB | Viewed 2089 times ]

Chart E (Station Graph & Bomb Graph)
Attachment:
Chart E (Station Graph & Bomb Graph).png
Chart E (Station Graph & Bomb Graph).png [ 951.48 KiB | Viewed 2089 times ]

Chart E (Gasoline Graph & Center of Gravity Graph)
Attachment:
Chart E (Gasoline Graph & Center of Gravity Graph).png
Chart E (Gasoline Graph & Center of Gravity Graph).png [ 996.52 KiB | Viewed 2089 times ]

Chart F - Weight & Balance Clearance
Attachment:
Chart F - Weight & Balance Clearance.png
Chart F - Weight & Balance Clearance.png [ 855.36 KiB | Viewed 2089 times ]

I also came across a few more interesting details in the same source as the charts came from. For example, did you know that B-25Cs and Ds had bomb loading charts mounted in a holder at the forward end of the bomb bay?
Attachment:
Bomb Loading Charts and Holder.png
Bomb Loading Charts and Holder.png [ 747.64 KiB | Viewed 2089 times ]

Finally, it also includes a number of pictures of the locations of form holders throughout the airplane:
Attachment:
Bomb Data Book Stowage Compartment, Flight Report Holder, Form 41-B Holder & Pilot's Handbook Holder.png
Bomb Data Book Stowage Compartment, Flight Report Holder, Form 41-B Holder & Pilot's Handbook Holder.png [ 674.36 KiB | Viewed 2089 times ]

Attachment:
Navigation Form Compartment & Radio Compartment Case.png

Warbird Philosophy Webmaster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:06 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I was at the museum today and while I was searching for something else to scan - I kid you not - I found copies of the forms! Not only that, but I found a copy of the draft, complete with marginalia, for creating the technical order that accompanies them! It even has the original pencil sketches of the cartoons that the author drew to illustrate the order! Just like the aircraft history card, it had been right under my nose the whole time! The serendipity is astounding! I of course had to scan it immediately!

I know I'm the only one who would get excited about the discovery of bureaucracy, but for the rest of you normal people even if you're not interested in the subject matter itself, it is still an interesting look into how technical orders were created.

Since I'm including so much detail, and this is unique as it is a draft, I might as well go all out in describing it. The pages are all single-sided, so unless there was some handwriting on the back they were not scanned. (Note, however, that page numbers 13 and 14 were reused, so the numbering is off by two starting on the former. Furthermore, due to the printing of redundant charts in the published version, there is a significant jump after page 22.) Like most ephemeral, unpublished documents from the war, the text was a spirit duplicate, the charts were photostat copies, and the pencil drawings were on wax paper. Some of the later pages are smaller in size. Also, the photographs were stapled to the pages. Finally, the whole document was bound by prong fasteners that were removed for scanning.

The final draft became AN 01-1-40 - the Handbook of Weight and Balance Data included in a previous post. Also, note the serial number of the B-24, 40-2369, on the slide rule case on page 32. The document itself came from the collection of a man named Forrest Orlo Miller.

Form A - Weight & Balance Clearance
Attachment:
Form A - Weight & Balance Clearance (Rotated, Cropped, Reduced).png
Form A - Weight & Balance Clearance (Rotated, Cropped, Reduced).png [ 1.27 MiB | Viewed 2029 times ]

Form B - Cargo (or Supply) List
Attachment:
Form B - Cargo (or Supply) List (Rotated, Cropped, Reduced).png
Form B - Cargo (or Supply) List (Rotated, Cropped, Reduced).png [ 967.44 KiB | Viewed 2029 times ]

Form C - Running Log, Basic Weight & Balance
Attachment:
Form C - Running Log, Basic Weight & Balance (Rotated, Cropped, Reduced).png
Form C - Running Log, Basic Weight & Balance (Rotated, Cropped, Reduced).png [ 1012.74 KiB | Viewed 2029 times ]

Form C - Running Log, Basic Weight & Balance (Continued)
Attachment:
Form C - Running Log, Basic Weight & Balance (Continued) (Rotated, Cropped, Reduced).png
Form C - Running Log, Basic Weight & Balance (Continued) (Rotated, Cropped, Reduced).png [ 983.49 KiB | Viewed 2029 times ]

Form C-1 - Basic Weight Check List
Attachment:
Form C-1 - Basic Weight Check List (Rotated, Cropped, Reduced).png
Form C-1 - Basic Weight Check List (Rotated, Cropped, Reduced).png [ 1.1 MiB | Viewed 2029 times ]

Form C-1 - Basic Weight Check List (Continued)
Attachment:
Form C-1 - Basic Weight Check List (Continued) (Rotated, Cropped, Reduced).png
Form C-1 - Basic Weight Check List (Continued) (Rotated, Cropped, Reduced).png [ 1.11 MiB | Viewed 2029 times ]

Form C-2 - Record of Structural Changes
Attachment:
Form C-2 - Record of Structural Changes (Cropped, Reduced).png
Form C-2 - Record of Structural Changes (Cropped, Reduced).png [ 926.26 KiB | Viewed 2029 times ]

Weight and Balance Data and Record
Attachment:
Weight and Balance Data and Record (Cropped, Reduced).png
Weight and Balance Data and Record (Cropped, Reduced).png [ 1.05 MiB | Viewed 2029 times ]

B-25 Charts and Graphs
Attachment:
B-25 Charts and Graphs (Rotated, Cropped, Reduced).png
B-25 Charts and Graphs (Rotated, Cropped, Reduced).png [ 1.36 MiB | Viewed 2029 times ]

The full document is available on Imgur and from the museum's Internet Archive collection.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:30 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

All of the following are from the collections at the museum.

The first three forms come from the collection of Frank W. Haines:

While it does not date to World War II, it is still technically an Army aviation form. This example was found clipped to a kneeboard:

DA Form 2283 - Army Aviation Instrument Flight Log
Attachment:
Army Aviation Instrument Flight Log - Part 1 (Reduced, Converted).png
Army Aviation Instrument Flight Log - Part 1 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 826.84 KiB | Viewed 1983 times ]

Attachment:
Army Aviation Instrument Flight Log - Part 2 (Reduced, Converted).png
Army Aviation Instrument Flight Log - Part 2 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 803.73 KiB | Viewed 1983 times ]

As evidenced by the entries in the first column, the following form was used to track time in Link trainers. This example was found interleaved at the end of a log book:

ATRC Form 91 - Individual Progress Record: Synthetic Trainers
Attachment:
Individual Progress Report Synthetic Trainers - Part 1 (Reduced, Converted).png
Individual Progress Report Synthetic Trainers - Part 1 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 893.85 KiB | Viewed 1983 times ]

Attachment:
Individual Progress Report Synthetic Trainers - Part 2 (Reduced, Converted).png
Individual Progress Report Synthetic Trainers - Part 2 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 813.59 KiB | Viewed 1983 times ]

This is a typewritten form and may not have had a number:

Instrument Trainer
Attachment:
Instrument Trainer (Reduced, Converted).png
Instrument Trainer (Reduced, Converted).png [ 920.83 KiB | Viewed 1983 times ]

Next, a series of forms from the collection of Leroy C. Sabatelli:

It is not clear what an envelope 201 is, but this appears to be the enlisted counterpart to the officer's version included in a previous post

Individual 201 Envelope Check List: Enlisted Men
Attachment:
Individual 201 Envelope Check List Enlisted Men - Part 1 (Reduced, Converted).png
Individual 201 Envelope Check List Enlisted Men - Part 1 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.01 MiB | Viewed 1983 times ]

Attachment:
Individual 201 Envelope Check List Enlisted Men - Part 2 (Reduced, Converted).png
Individual 201 Envelope Check List Enlisted Men - Part 2 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.01 MiB | Viewed 1983 times ]

This form also may not have had a number, but it is similar in format and purpose to and may be a recreation of AAF Form No. 5:

[Untitled]
Attachment:
[Untitled] (Reduced, Converted).png
[Untitled] (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.26 MiB | Viewed 1983 times ]

This is another instance of a unit specific form:

P. O. M. Individual Qualification Card for Radio Operator and Mechanic (Ground Training)
Attachment:
P. O. M. Individual Qualification Card for Radio Operator and Mechanic (Ground Training) - Part 1 (Reduced, Converted).png
P. O. M. Individual Qualification Card for Radio Operator and Mechanic (Ground Training) - Part 1 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.17 MiB | Viewed 1983 times ]

Attachment:
P. O. M. Individual Qualification Card for Radio Operator and Mechanic (Ground Training) - Part 2 (Reduced, Converted).png
P. O. M. Individual Qualification Card for Radio Operator and Mechanic (Ground Training) - Part 2 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.14 MiB | Viewed 1983 times ]

While this is not an Army Air Force Form, it was part of the collection of an aviator and thus seems relevant enough to include:

ITCC Form No. 50-2 - Basic Military Training
Attachment:
Basic Military Training (Reduced, Converted).png
Basic Military Training (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.07 MiB | Viewed 1983 times ]

This form was mentioned in a previous post:

AAF Form No. 28A - Army Air Forces Physical Fitness Test and Record Card
Attachment:
Army Air Forces Physical Fitness Test and Record Card - Part 1 (Reduced, Converted).png
Army Air Forces Physical Fitness Test and Record Card - Part 1 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 702.76 KiB | Viewed 1983 times ]

Attachment:
Army Air Forces Physical Fitness Test and Record Card - Part 2 (Reduced, Converted).png
Army Air Forces Physical Fitness Test and Record Card - Part 2 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 681.79 KiB | Viewed 1983 times ]

The last two forms are from the collection of Harry T. Wilkinson. The first portion of the number apparently indicates it was used within the First Air Force:

Form 1AF-AP 34 - Permanent Class "A" Pass
Attachment:
Permanent Class A Pass - Part 1 (Reduced, Converted).png
Permanent Class A Pass - Part 1 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.03 MiB | Viewed 1983 times ]

Attachment:
Permanent Class A Pass - Part 2 (Reduced, Converted).png
Permanent Class A Pass - Part 2 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 967.74 KiB | Viewed 1983 times ]

VF-9-24-42-2M - High Altitude Training Program
Attachment:
High Altitude Training Program - Part 1 (Reduced, Converted).png
High Altitude Training Program - Part 1 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.14 MiB | Viewed 1983 times ]

Attachment:
High Altitude Training Program - Part 2 (Reduced, Converted).png
High Altitude Training Program - Part 2 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 953.76 KiB | Viewed 1983 times ]

Here are higher resolution copies of the above:
(Source: Imgur)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:26 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Somehow another one of the previous posts went missing. (Presumably due to the database update.) The recovered version is below:
Noha307 wrote:
Similar to the "letter forms" mentioned in a previous post, there is a series of five ASC forms that are found in the Pilot's Flight Operating Instructions manuals for aircraft. They are:

Form ASC-510 - Take-Off, Climb & Landing Chart
(Source: Tri-State Warbird Museum via Internet Archive)

Form ASC-511A - Flight Operation Instruction Chart

Form ASC-512A - Specific Engine Flight Chart

Form ASC-513 - Weight & Balance Chart

There's also another similar type of chart that can be found in (at least one) manual titled Pilot's Handbook:

Form AAFMC-526 - Power Plant Chart
(Source: WW2Aircraft.net)

Note that there are variations on the above, such as:

and:

Rustman wrote:
Wow! What a thread. Thanks for posting all of these. One of the guys in our reenacting group is our clerk. He's been collecting all the forms to properly fill out his field desk, but he likes to get and recreate the USAAF ones to fit our camp as well. His handles on some other forums is AirCorpsClerk :)
I'll be sure to share this thread with him.

I was poking around AirCorps Library and I happened across something I think he'll really like. There is a document titled Stock List: Office Supplies that lists, well, all of the office supplies a clerk would need. Furthermore, a similar document, Section 0002 of the Classification Index of Naval Aeronautical Materials - although not providing much additional detail - does note that blank forms are Class 28 materials on page 8.

EDIT (23-06-24): A list of office equipment and supply technical orders can also be found on page 198 of the Numerical Index of Technical Publications, T.O. No. 00-1.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:18 pm 

Noha307,

Have you come across the Form SCU 6309, "Report of Entering Class and Students Under Instruction", per EFTC Memo 15-SCU 6309-1, dated 23 Aug 1944? I found reference to this form in the base histories from Greenville Army Air Field, Greenville, MS.

Thanks,
Jordan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:58 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

jdeters79 wrote:
Have you come across the Form SCU 6309, "Report of Entering Class and Students Under Instruction", per EFTC Memo 15-SCU 6309-1, dated 23 Aug 1944? I found reference to this form in the base histories from Greenville Army Air Field, Greenville, MS.

Sorry, I can't say I have. If I come across it, I'll make sure to let you know though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:24 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I came across another pair of forms today while looking through more of Mr. Witte's collection. While there are plenty of copies of Form 1 and 1A floating around out there, what makes these rare is that they are of the Air Corps variety, include the name of the printer - American Sales Book Company - and the former came complete with original carbon paper and second copy:

AC Form No. 1 - Flight Report - Operations
Attachment:
Air Corps Form No. 1 - Part 1 (Reduced, Converted).png
Air Corps Form No. 1 - Part 1 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.1 MiB | Viewed 1601 times ]

Attachment:
Air Corps Form No. 1 - Part 2 (Reduced, Converted).png
Air Corps Form No. 1 - Part 2 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.39 MiB | Viewed 1601 times ]

Attachment:
Air Corps Form No. 1 - Part 3 (Reduced, Converted).png
Air Corps Form No. 1 - Part 3 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.19 MiB | Viewed 1601 times ]

AC Form No. 1A - Flight Report - Engineering
Attachment:
Air Corps Form No. 1A (Reduced, Converted).png
Air Corps Form No. 1A (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.06 MiB | Viewed 1601 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:40 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Another answer to the "who cares?" question mentioned in a previous post came in the form of a Vintage Aviation News article posted today. Titled "The Making of Masters of the Air: Hero Prop Paperwork", it details Taigh Ramey and Megan Jones's efforts to recreate the proper paperwork – maps, charts and forms – for the show.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:26 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Found another original form in the Russell B. Witte, Jr. Collection today. This one was interleaved between some handwritten notes from training:

AAF Form No. 23 - Aircraft Arrival Report
Attachment:
Aircraft Arrival Report (Reduced, Converted).png
Aircraft Arrival Report (Reduced, Converted).png [ 943.76 KiB | Viewed 1529 times ]

Here is a higher resolution copy of the above:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:45 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

So, something I didn't realize until today is that the copy of Form 21 mentioned in a previous post is only part of the form. Thanks to a blog post, I learned that it actually unfolds into a sheet 20" tall by 26" wide. Luckily, the author included a full resolution scan:

AAF Form No. 21A-1 - Navigator's Log [Alternate Version]
(Source: The Past Presented)

Also, on a related note, I came across a forum thread where someone recreated Form 21 using a copy mentioned in a different previous post. Unfortunately, the image links to the digital version are long dead.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:22 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

More forms from another collection that was donated to the museum two weeks ago. They belonged to Leo Shuller, son of the founder of the restaurant Shuller's Wigwam in Cincinnati, Ohio:

Pilot Transition Training Record
Attachment:
Pilot Transition Training Record - Part 1 (Reduced, Converted).png
Pilot Transition Training Record - Part 1 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.07 MiB | Viewed 1328 times ]

Attachment:
Pilot Transition Training Record - Part 2 (Reduced, Converted).png
Pilot Transition Training Record - Part 2 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.23 MiB | Viewed 1328 times ]

Attachment:
Pilot Transition Training Record - Part 3 (Reduced, Converted).png
Pilot Transition Training Record - Part 3 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.24 MiB | Viewed 1328 times ]

Attachment:
Pilot Transition Training Record - Part 4 (Reduced, Converted).png
Pilot Transition Training Record - Part 4 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.15 MiB | Viewed 1328 times ]

Proficiency Card
Attachment:
Proficiency Card - Part 1 (Reduced, Converted).png
Proficiency Card - Part 1 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.17 MiB | Viewed 1328 times ]

Attachment:
Proficiency Card - Part 2 (Reduced, Converted).png
Proficiency Card - Part 2 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 991.42 KiB | Viewed 1328 times ]

AAF Form No. 8B - Pilot Instrument Certificate Application and Flight Check Form
Attachment:
Pilot Instrument Certificate Application and Flight Check Form - Part 1 (Reduced, Converted).png
Pilot Instrument Certificate Application and Flight Check Form - Part 1 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.2 MiB | Viewed 1328 times ]

Attachment:
Pilot Instrument Certificate Application and Flight Check Form - Part 2 (Reduced, Converted).png
Pilot Instrument Certificate Application and Flight Check Form - Part 2 (Reduced, Converted).png [ 1.27 MiB | Viewed 1328 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6