Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:57 am 

Hello everybody,

I’m wondering myself about which upgrade from stock are usally done by high time flying warbirds operators on P-51 (like stallion, quick silver etc...) in order to ease their operations/maintance.

From memory:

Engine : head and bank from transport merlin , pre-oiler, new radiator

Landing gear : brakes from P63

Fuel tank: gun bay fuel tank

Cockpit: instrument update

Do you have any to add?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:14 am 
Newly minted Mustang Pilot

Second Seat

TF Conversion :)

New Manufacture gear handle

Roush Merlin

55" max T/O MAP

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:34 am 

Please!.......

Less tall rudder mods

If your gonna two seat it
Leave the darn canopy alone!

More cuffed Ham Standards

Less glossy paint schemes

Make the darn thing look like a real fighter did!

Blah
Blah

Anyway
I’m done

Lol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:06 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

There are actually quite a lot of cuffed Hamilton Standard props on Mustangs lately. By my count, 65 of the roughly 160 Mustangs flying today have the cuffed Hamilton Standard pop installed (and that's not counting those with the cuffs removed). The non-cuffed Hamilton Standards are also perfectly authentic/accurate to many of the Mustangs that have them today, as they were introduced into P-51D production on the P-51D-30-NA, P-51D-25-NT and P-51D-30-NT blocks. A few P-51D-30-NA's even made it into action in the Pacific at the tail-end of WWII with the non-cuffed Hamilton Standard prop.

The vast majority of the Mustangs flying today have a second seat installed. Of the roughly 160 flying today, only a little over 20 of those are actually single-seaters (and that includes the racers Strega and Voodoo). Most of those with a second seat have an otherwise stock fuselage and canopy frame with a jump seat installed where the fuselage tank, radio rack and all other associated hardware were once located. A number of these also have rudimentary/basic dual controls added, such as the Ezell kit.

The "TF's", as known today, are those which have the TEMCO style modified fuselage providing a whole second cockpit, also resulting in longer decking and canopy frame. There are currently 16 Mustangs flying in "TF-51D" configuration with several more in the works (between Cal Pacific, Airmotive Specialties, and other individuals).

With regard to the taller tail fin, featuring the NACA/NAA designed extended tail fin cap, there are 13 flying today with that feature. However, 3 of those were so modified during their years as test airframes with the NACA in the 1940's (N51DL, N4223A, and N51YZ), and 2 others were modified during their Cavalier conversions in the 1960's (SE-BIL and N20TF), so I consider the extended tail fin caps on those 5 to be historically apropos.

Last edited by JohnTerrell on Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:54 pm 

Ok, thanks!

I have also noticed that some Aircraft have the gun port removed, probably to save speed and fuel 8)

I also read somewhere that some P51 have a modified ailerons tab?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:18 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Yes, some D's flying today have boosted/servo type aileron tabs. The ailerons on the Mustang can also be rigged differently to deflect to either 10, 12 or 15 degrees, with most Mustangs flying today likely set at 15.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:19 pm 

JohnTerrell wrote:
Yes, some D's flying today have boosted/servo type aileron tabs. The ailerons on the Mustang can also be rigged differently to deflect to either 10, 12 or 15 degrees, with most Mustangs flying today likely set at 15.

Thanks John for sharing your knowledge! Do you know where I can learn more about this boosted/servos type aileron?
The stock Mustang ailerons deflection was 10. I guess?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:57 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

On the first question I'd have to defer to others with more intimate knowledge on the inner workings/operation, and I'm not sure if there is a clear answer on the second.

The "boosted" aileron trim tabs are linked in such a way that when the ailerons deflect upward the tabs will deflect downward and vice-versa, in a servo tab manner, helping "boost" the aileron in either direction when flying, making the aileron control forces lighter. Kermit Weeks' restored P-51D is one of those that is set up with boosted aileron trim tabs, and if you watch his P-51D "Kermie Cam" video on Youtube, where he does his pre-flight walkaround check, you can see that the trim tabs on the ailerons of his P-51D are set up that way when he moves the ailerons up/down. I'm not sure when that modification originally came about and I've heard it referred to as a non-stock feature. Most of the P-51D's I'm familiar with don't have the boosted aileron tabs.

I'm not sure which aileron rigging setting was most commonly used in original military service, but the reference and maintenance manuals of the period describe the three different rigging options available (10, 12, 15-degrees). Jeff Ethell described the P-51 ailerons as being "locked in cement" compared to the P-40, but that can depend again on how they're rigged I'm sure. In the Jeff Ethell P-51 warbird checkout, he described how his dad, who flew Mustangs in the late 40's/early 50's, flew Elmer Ward's restored P-51D "Man O War" and commented that none of the Mustangs he flew in the service ever flew that nice.

When the ailerons are rigged for full 15-degree deflection, I've read that you can have the stick all the way pressed against your knee, squished against the side of the cockpit, and still you won't have the ailerons deflected all the way to the stops. With the ailerons set up for 15-degree deflection, and boosted aileron trim tabs besides, it sounds like the roll rate really comes alive and with very light aileron control.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I understand the Ezells have a dual control modification design/kit.

Anyone have information on the Roush engine parts?
What are the improvements...do the replace parts that are NLA or a improvement?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:00 am 

Can someone please explain to me what "transport heads" are on Merlin engines and how they differ from the heads used on the wartime Mustang Merlins?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:08 am 

Saville wrote:
Can someone please explain to me what "transport heads" are on Merlin engines and how they differ from the heads used on the wartime Mustang Merlins?

Thanks!

In a nutshell, they were the heads used on the post war "Avro Lancastrian" and other types. for passenger and cargo "transport" flights. I am not sure on exactly how they differ, but I believe it mainly has something to do with longer TBO. You can google "Rolls Royce Merlin Transport Heads" and start clicking through the links.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:57 am 

I've seen some Mustangs with a door cut into the left side of the fuselage to make a small cargo compartment. I don't think this came from the factory, at least I've never seen a pic of a wartime airplane with such a door open. :?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:50 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

My dad purchased a Cavalier mustang in 1977. It had a slightly enlarged and tinted canopy, baggage compartment on the side of left fuselage, storage lockers in the gun bays, UHF/ VHF antennas, a second seat with vinyl interior, extra air vents, headphone jacks, etc. it had the gun ports faired over and the vents on the nose cowling faired over. Also had the depressed type steps installed on both flaps for easier climb to the cockpit.
I think my dad added P-63 brakes which are still a nice upgrade.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:04 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Snake45 wrote:
I've seen some Mustangs with a door cut into the left side of the fuselage to make a small cargo compartment. I don't think this came from the factory, at least I've never seen a pic of a wartime airplane with such a door open. :?

Battery tray / VHS camera access...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:22 pm 

Lynn Allen wrote:
Snake45 wrote:

Battery tray / VHS camera access...

I googled P-51 battery tray and all I got was a bunch of RC model airplane parts.

Adding the word Mustang just added a bunch of car parts. :?