Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:07 pm 
KiwiZac

ErrolC wrote:
Avspecs Ltd. Daniel Paul we made sure everything needed for John's aircraft was kept aside. We have found the substantial remains of TE881 which is good news.

Avspecs Ltd. Bruce Gordon we definitely have at least one identity. TE881 (NZ2345).

Another RNZAF survivor. That's just incredible. I'm speechless.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:44 pm 

Zac Yates wrote:
From what I've gathered (DaveM2 may be able to assist?):
- the two Harvards have been transported to Ardmore Airport, Auckland, with NZ1068 to be restored to airworthy by Nick Sheehan
- the P-40E has gone to Omaka and is to fly with Mike Nicholls and John Saunders
- the P-51D is for sale
- the Vampire parts cache is for sale as a lot
- The Mosquito, P-40N and Tiger Moth ZK-BQB will be conserved and placed on public display at the Omaka Aviation Heritage Centre

Fantastic!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1199825 ... 334188202/

Quote:
Brendon Deere Joining our collection at Biggin Hill will be ex RNZAF P51D Mustang NZ2423. This aircraft has been part of the historic collection of the late John Smith at Mapua near Nelson for the last sixty years. The aircraft is a complete time capsule but like the other RNZAF Mustangs sold surplus from Woodbourne in 1958, it had its wings cut off just outboard of the main undercarriage for transport to the buyer in Nelson (these are with the aircraft). Once the aircraft is at Ohakea, we will begin the process of planning its return to airworthy.
NZ2423 was based at Ohakea for its entire operational life, serving with No.2 Territorial Air Force and also 42 Squadron. It conducted the last ever RNZAF flight of the Mustang when it was flown to Woodbourne for disposal in 1958. It was built at North American‘s Dallas factory in 1945 and was part of an order of 160 Mustangs purchased by the RNZAF to replace the Corsairs. ...

It will join the collection's flying Spitfire PV270, Avenger "NZ2518", and Harvard NZ1037.

ImageOhakea Arrivals by Errol Cavit, on Flickr

ImageLocal Harvard by Errol Cavit, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:33 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

It is fantastic news! Being one of the most complete of the few unrestored time-capsule P-51's still in existence, I hope those that will be performing the restoration on the P-51 will take note of every detail as it is disassembled and that it is restored to the nth-degree of accuracy. I'm very glad that it will continue to have a great home in New Zealand.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:51 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Sounds like John Terrell needs to go on a road trip!

(John I love how excited you get about Mustang authenticity, it's awesome)!

Andy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:18 pm 

In the meantime John needs to get hold of Spitfire - Return to Flight by Brendon Deere to see the attention to detail in PV270's restoration :-) For instance the paint is as near to wartime actual as they could manage, no high-gloss here!
https://rnzaf.proboards.com/thread/1162 ... ht-brendon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:47 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Yeah Andy, it's hard for me to hide it. :) I would love a visit to New Zealand, but for a great many other reasons as well (it has always struck me as gorgeous country).

Errol, thank you for mentioning that book, it definitely sounds like one I should have. It also has one of my favorite Gavin Conroy photos on the cover.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:12 pm 
KiwiZac

John, as Errol alluded to the P-51D is in truly good hands. This news left me with sore cheeks from smiling so much. Mind you, the fact RNZAF Ohakea (and Brendon's collection) is a 30min drive from where I sit may make me somewhat biased...

I also second Errol's recommendation of Brendon's book. It is money very well spent and such is its level of renown that many folks have asked on Facebook whether we can expect a similar work on NZ2423. I for one hope so.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:17 pm 

JohnTerrell wrote:
Yeah Andy, it's hard for me to hide it. :) I would love a visit to New Zealand, but for a great many other reasons as well (it has always struck me as gorgeous country).

Errol, thank you for mentioning that book, it definitely sounds like one I should have. It also has one of my favorite Gavin Conroy photos on the cover.

Photo links down the photobucket hole, but Gavin's discussion of taking that photo here:
https://rnzaf.proboards.com/thread/1759 ... amera-lens

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:54 pm 

JohnTerrell wrote:
It is fantastic news! Being one of the most complete of the few unrestored time-capsule P-51's still in existence, I hope those that will be performing the restoration on the P-51 will take note of every detail as it is disassembled and that it is restored to the nth-degree of accuracy. I'm very glad that it will continue to have a great home in New Zealand.

Photos of P51D NZ2423 being prep'd to go to Ohakea.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1199825 ... __tn__=H-R

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:06 pm 
KiwiZac

For those who don't do Facebook here's Brendon Deere's post:
Quote:
P51D NZ2423 out in the sun today for the first time in nearly 60 years as it prepares for its journey up to Ohakea next week. A container full of all its other parts, spares and the remains of several other RNZAF Mustangs started the journey north today. The main radiator and a bunch of other stuff is journeying back with me tonight on the ferry Kaiarahi - marking the first stage of the return of NZ2423 to RNZAF Ohakea where it spent its operational life.

A great team did a magnificent job over the last two days. Led by John Saunders and Mike Nichols, a lot of really hard work was done by Mit Brereton, Graham Andrews, Ryan Southam, Robbie Smith and Jo Smith - all under the watchful eye of George Smith who fittingly closed the doors on the container today.

Brendon's photos, again from Facebook (I hope he doesn't mind):
ImageNZ2423 Mapua 140820 Brendon Deere via Facebook 01 by Zac Yates, on Flickr

ImageNZ2423 Mapua 140820 Brendon Deere via Facebook 02 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
John Smith's brother George at the wing root.

ImageNZ2423 Mapua crew 140820 Brendon Deere via Facebook by Zac Yates, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:36 pm 

A time capsule Mossie cockpit from the Yak-3M 'Full Noise' crew

https://www.facebook.com/fullnoise35/po ... 4148109514

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:15 pm 
KiwiZac

Disassembly of the Mosquito for transport has begun. The Omaka Aviation Heritage Centre team has shared more details and photos about the Mossie mission today on Facebook:

Quote:
It was a magnificent weekend here in the Top of the South which saw a large team from the Omaka aviation community, head to Mapua to prepare the John Smith Mosquito fighter bomber for her journey to Omaka in Marlborough. It was a big day and a productive one with fantastic team spirit shared by a great crew of dedicated supporters. Thank you to everyone who participated and the many more that offered. We look forward to sharing more of this epic journey with you. Click on the images for more details & if you would like to contribute financially any assistance big or small is much appreciated, please visit see our Give-A-Little page https://bit.ly/3jvpAL6

ImageNZ2336 Mapua 150820 OAHC 01 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
Quote:
Start of the day - John Saunders at left explains the journey travelled so far to reach the point at which the gathered team could prepare to ready the aircraft for its big shift. This line-up features key people in the mission. from left, John, Mike Nicholls, family members Jo, George and Robbie Smith, Bill Reid, and newly appointed Project leader, Al Marshall.

For those unfamiliar with the name, Al Marshall is the brains behind the restoration of Omaka's resident Bristol B.170 Freighter to taxiing condition.

ImageNZ2336 Mapua 150820 OAHC 02 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
Quote:
By the late afternoon, much progress had been made with a key milestone being reached with the removal of the propellers by a team from Airbus at Woodbourne. By this stage Cowls and flaps are off, props, gun access doors, ammo boxes, bomb bay doors. Jay's JEM Aviation Ltd team has the port engine ready to lift out (that was a huge job) and the starboard nacelle is off with the port nacelle nearly ready to come off too.

The Fighter Flights team, which operates Reno racing Yak-3 Full Noise, has also been sharing photos of the work underway:
Quote:
The innards of the Mosquito expose just how complex it is to create a multi role aircraft. Not only does this Mossie carry 4x 20 mm Cannon and 4 x .303 machine guns but there’s still room for bombs and Chelsea golden syrup as well. Awesome.

ImageNZ2336 ammo and gun doors Fighter Flights via FB by Zac Yates, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:47 pm 

WONZ now has dedicated threads for two of the airframes being returned to flight.

Harvard Mk.III NZ1068 41-33880 with Nick Sheehan
https://rnzaf.proboards.com/thread/2876 ... ard-nz1068

P-51D Mustang NZ2423 45-11513 with Brendon Deere
https://rnzaf.proboards.com/thread/2876 ... ang-nz2423

(edited to fix Mustang serial)

Last edited by ErrolC on Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:01 pm 
KiwiZac

ErrolC wrote:
P-51D Mustang NZ2423 45-11490 with Brendon Deere

I have her s/n as 45-11513?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:06 pm 

Zac Yates wrote:
ErrolC wrote:
P-51D Mustang NZ2423 45-11490 with Brendon Deere

I have her s/n as 45-11513?

Other than being the first entry on http://www.adf-serials.com.au/nz-serials/nzmustang.htm I have no idea how I copied that one! Will fix.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next