Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:48 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

phil65 wrote:
Pilot error, go figure...

My buddy Blumenthal to the rescue once again.... :roll:

Phil

That was pretty much a foregone conclusion. No loose ends to tidy up when the pilot isn't around to tell his side. I may be a bit cynical.

Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still.

The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:23 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Kyleb wrote:
martin_sam_2000 wrote:

Interestingly, I think his major error was also putting the gear down to early. It must be something pilots are worried about forgetting so they drop them early. Be a neat angle to study in power loss situations in any retractable wheel type.

Sean

You have a point. I can see where as a pilot, I might want to get through certain parts of the checklist early in the emergency so I have more bandwidth to fly the (troubled) aircraft to a safe landing at the end. Unfortunately, there are examples where that thought process lead directly to the accident. I would argue that the Dover C-5 crash was <partially> a result of the pilots prepping for the emergency landing (dirtying up the airplane) before they had the field made.

The Miss Velma one was interesting one it that the engine could not really decide if it was going to kill itself or not. It kept sputtering. If the engine had suddenly died and he dropped the gear and landed in a nice field he would be credited with a great save. I don't think he thought he could ever make a return to the field when the engine first starting to fail, but then power came back and he thought, maybe.... I can just pull it off, then nope.

The C-5B at Dover had lots of thing going on (poorly) with poor CRM, with the configuration for an overweight landing, but the real bigggie- pulling back on a perfectly good engine.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:40 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Warbird Adventures is moving to a private grass strip in South Carolina-
https://www.warbirdadventures.com/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:40 pm 

Warbirdnerd wrote:
Warbird Adventures is moving to a private grass strip in South Carolina-
https://www.warbirdadventures.com/

Scott Yoak of P-51 QuickSilver fame is also starting an air museum in South Carolina called the Aviation Legacy Museum and mentions state subsidies towards flight training. I wonder if the Warbird Adventures move has to do with this? Sounds like the two locations will be about a 40 minute drive apart.
Scott discusses his museum in his podcast if anyone is interested in listening.

https://www.buzzsprout.com/171604/82711 ... d-a-museum

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:17 am 

Quote:
GA Groups tell FAA of Threat to Flight Training in Limited Category Aircraft

PRESS RELEASE – The fallout from a recent court decision regarding compensated flight training in Limited Category aircraft threatens the ability to train and maintain proficiency in a broad spectrum of aircraft, according to letter sent by several general aviation groups to the Federal Aviation Administration.

The April 20 letter signed jointly by the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA), the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA), and the General Aviation Manufacturers Association (GAMA), was sent to Ali Bahrami, FAA Associate Administrator for Aviation Safety. The letter noted that the April 3 judgment issued by the D.C. Court of Appeals in the Warbird Adventures, Inc., et al vs. Federal Aviation Administration case “has created significant confusion and concern in the aviation community regarding the impact of the decision on compensated flight training.”

http://warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-news/g ... craft.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:33 pm 

There is a way to give flight instruction in Limited Category aircraft. It is by filing for an exemption, the exemption is from FAA regulation 91.315. Look back at the old registry notes and you will see Stallion 51 filled for this exemption and was granted the exemption to do flight training in their Mustangs.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:47 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

BULL7895 wrote:
T<>.
BULL7895
Post subject: Re: Collings Foundation in trouble again..Warbird Adventures
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:33 pm

:-?

pop2