Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:34 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Last Friday my car club hosted an event in Santa Margarita Ranch, CA at their little airstrip and I grabbed a few quick shots of ex-IDF C-47B 43-49531/N215CM:

A couple new hangars were under construction, but the runway looked little-used. Anyone know more about the intended future of Five Charlie Mike?

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:08 am 

I love how it is in IDF markings, but the cowls and rudder are very USAAF. I'd love to read the story on this one.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for the photos.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:26 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

IIRC, A few ex-IDF C-47s made their was to the U.S. In the 80s-90s.
Looks pretty stock, what is the interior like?
Stock military C-47 or considering its later use, is it more like the civil freighters you see (more modern panel, insulated cabin sidewalls, etc)?

Last edited by JohnB on Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:22 pm 

Chris Brame wrote:

A couple new hangars were under construction, but the runway looked little-used. Anyone know more about the intended future of Five Charlie Mike?

My info is a little old, by a few years, but here is my understanding.

The owner is a U.S. Military Vet who is extremely Patriotic and honors the U.S. Military and our Vets on a regular basis. He's done several semi-public and private events over the years to honor them through various ways on his private ranch. Last I heard (years old info), it was his intention to keep this aircraft flying to continue that mission. The aircraft flew into the ranch a few years ago, I believe on a ferry permit. But it still needed some more restoration work to get it up to the standard to become a regular flyer. I don't know if the engines have even turned since the ferry flight in.

The original plan was for Sherman Smoot to play a large part in this operation and check out pilots who could fly the aircraft on a regular basis. Sherman Smoot, unfortunately, passed away, hence the tribute of his name under the cockpit. I believe that Sherm was the driving force, or one of the main ones, who was going to set up, and/or train for the flying program for this aircraft. With his untimely death, I'm guessing that some of the impetus for this flying program has diminished somewhat. I don't know what the current plan is. All I do know is that the owner is one of the nicest, most humble and generous persons anyone could ever meet. He has vast resources and money won't be an issue at all for this aircraft. In my opinion, the biggest limitation is finding available pilots and maintainers to keep the aircraft in the air. I do know he is building several hangars on his private airstrip and the original intention was to house the C-47 in one of the hangars once it was completed.

I do believe we will see this aircraft fly again, I just don't know when or any of the specifics. The owner, last I talked to him, was committed to keeping this bird flying.

All of this info was from talking to the owner at the infamous Chuck Wentworth Bar-B-Q at Paso Robles a few years back.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:33 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

OD/NG wrote:
Chris Brame wrote:

My info is a little old, by a few years, but here is my understanding.

The owner is a U.S. Military Vet who is extremely Patriotic and honors the U.S. Military and our Vets on a regular basis. He's done several semi-public and private events over the years to honor them through various ways on his private ranch. Last I heard (years old info), it was his intention to keep this aircraft flying to continue that mission. The aircraft flew into the ranch a few years ago, I believe on a ferry permit. But it still needed some more restoration work to get it up to the standard to become a regular flyer. I don't know if the engines have even turned since the ferry flight in.

The original plan was for Sherman Smoot to play a large part in this operation and check out pilots who could fly the aircraft on a regular basis. Sherman Smoot, unfortunately, passed away, hence the tribute of his name under the cockpit. I believe that Sherm was the driving force, or one of the main ones, who was going to set up, and/or train for the flying program for this aircraft. With his untimely death, I'm guessing that some of the impetus for this flying program has diminished somewhat. I don't know what the current plan is. [All I do know is that the owner is one of the nicest, most humble and generous persons anyone could ever meet. He has vast resources and money won't be an issue at all for this aircraft. In my opinion, the biggest limitation is finding available pilots and maintainers to keep the aircraft in the air. I do know he is building several hangars on his private airstrip and the original intention was to house the C-47 in one of the hangars once it was completed.

I do believe we will see this aircraft fly again, I just don't know when or any of the specifics. The owner, last I talked to him, was committed to keeping this bird flying.

All of this info was from talking to the owner at the infamous Chuck Wentworth Bar-B-Q at Paso Robles a few years back.

I think the place is jointly owned by three wine families these days.

Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still.

The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:14 pm 

ZRX61 wrote:
I think the place is jointly owned by three wine families these days.

Perhaps so, I'm not sure of the exact breakdown of the ownership. I do know that the C-47 is owned by a non-profit. When I referred to the "owner", I am referring to the Chairman of the BOD of that non-profit. He controls the assets under it, which includes the C-47. Anyways, the bird is in very good hands and it has a bright future ahead!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:07 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

OD/NG wrote:
The owner is a U.S. Military Vet who is extremely Patriotic and honors the U.S. Military and our Vets on a regular basis. All I do know is that the owner is one of the nicest, most humble and generous persons anyone could ever meet.

And he's gotta have a considerable sense of humor to have let our car clubs use his runway for a re-creation of the Greg vs. Marcia Brady driving test, complete with coming as close as you can to a cone with an egg on top. (It was a Brady Bunch-themed weekend :lol: )

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:19 am 

It's also where most of the drag racing series This Vs That is filmed for the Hoonigan YouTube channel.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:27 pm 

With the compliments of http://www.scramble.nl I can pass on the previous ID of this bird:

serial 007 civilian reg 4X-FNA type C-47B-15-DK c/n 15347/26792

Hope it will fly one day!

Gert