Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Jarrett Collection Camel

Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:57 pm

All

Does anyone have any photos / memories of the Jarrett Collection? Particularly interested in the original Sopwith Camel N6254, which is now airworthy with TVAL here in NZ.
That Collection was featured in WWI Aero, August 1997. Unfortunately I don't have access to that issue. Trying to establish the aircraft's original identity, data plate went missing around 1931....

TIA
Dave

Re: Jarrett Collection Camel

Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:24 am

Hi Dave,

Is that airplane not Frank Tallman's old Camel, and presumably the one flown in "The Great Waldo Pepper"?

Dan

Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:08 am

Dan Jones wrote:Hi Dave,

Is that airplane not Frank Tallman's old Camel, and presumably the one flown in "The Great Waldo Pepper"?

Dan

I think this is the one in the U.K. at Bianchi Aviation Film Services.

Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:29 am

Dave, just a pro tip, you might get more useful replies to such queries if you specified some trivial details about the collection of interest, such as what continent it was on, what dates it existed, etc.

I assume you have access to Leslie Hunt's old Veteran and Vintage Aircraft books. The 4th edition (1974) calls this the "Aeroflex" collection and lists the aircraft under Santee, South Carolina, with purported identities.

Not much help to you in research, but readers might like to check out this very cool video:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item ... 1060023325

August

Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:36 pm

k5083 wrote:Dave, just a pro tip, you might get more useful replies to such queries if you specified some trivial details about the collection of interest, such as what continent it was on, what dates it existed, etc.

I assume you have access to Leslie Hunt's old Veteran and Vintage Aircraft books. The 4th edition (1974) calls this the "Aeroflex" collection and lists the aircraft under Santee, South Carolina, with purported identities.

Not much help to you in research, but readers might like to check out this very cool video:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item ... 1060023325

August

August, point taken- note to self, don't post in haste :roll: Yes I have the Hunt book- first aviation related book I ever purchased as a teenager :wink:

Thanks to Brett M here is a short overview of its early history- I guess no one here will remember the Jarrett Collection!

Sold to Col George Burling Jarrett for $100 in 1931.

Whilst on display the data plate was "stolen by a young boy". At this point it seems to lose it's original identity.

Sold to Frank Tallman in 1950 and moved to the New England School of Aviation in Boston where some minor work was done.

In 1955 Ned Kensinger (Aircraft Repair Service, Peoria, IL) 'restored' it to airworthy. It is at this point it seems to have acquired the C/N number '3'. It flew into the EAA convention that year.

In 1966 the Rosen Novak Auto Co. acquired the assets of Tallmantz, and the Camel was sold at the subsequent Parke-Bernet to J Williams Middendorf III. It joined the Aeroflex Collection and was displayed at the Aeroflex Museum in New York.

1973 saw it on display as B7270 at Wings and Wheels in Santee, South Carolina, then moving to Florida in 1979 to the Wings and Wheels Museum in Orlando when the Aeroflex, Wings and Wheels and Dolph Overton III collections combined.

If anyone has photos from these periods that would be great (and if you are that "young boy" can you check that data plate, and advise the ID - no questions asked, thanks)

Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:59 pm

You might want to browse through my Tallmantz Aviation pages, especially https://www.aerovintage.com/tallman-photo-gallery-1/ as there is some material about Tallman and the Jarrett airplanes sprinkled throughout (and please ignore the just noticed typo of Jarrett’s name in the first caption...).

Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:37 pm

Thanks Scott. I have a similar colour slide of the 'flyby' image taken at one of the Tallmantz displays.

Dave
Post a reply