Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Dick Rutan, Gone West
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 2:47 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Dick Rutan, known for being one of the pilots of the Voyager, the first plane to fly around the world non-stop non-refueled, passed away the other day. What a lot of people do not know is Dick was a fighter pilot in Vietnam and was a Misty Fac, forward air controller, flying 325 missions in the F-100.

Check out the Ercoupe Discussion Group on facebook

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 3:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

A friend of my dad's for many years. Met him and Burt a few times. Always lively characters.

Sad loss, RIP

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 3:51 pm 

Very sad to hear. I have met Dick, and had seen him speak at AirVenture on numerous occasions. Always enjoyed hearing him telling stories about his service in Vietnam and flying the Voyager.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 8:26 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Dang it I hate news like this, but thanks for posting it.

Ad astra Dick Rutan

PIC, Ford 6600 pulling Rhino batwing up and down the runway

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 6:20 am 

I remember seeing Voyager at Oshkosh when I was a kid. Of course heard him speak many times there too.
He flew the F-100 in service on display at the NMUSAF.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 8:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I had the privilege of showing him and his brother around the museum last year.
An interesting guy.
Blue skies....

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 2:44 pm 

The story of the Voyager flight is still an amazing adventure, something that will not be surpassed. I have read that book many times. RIP.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 3:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Archer wrote:
I have read that book many times. RIP.

Just after the flight, as a fundraiser, you could get a copy of the book from them signed by Dick and Jeana Yeager.
In the pre-internet days, I must have seen an ad in Air Classics or someplace similar.

I would imagine there are still signed copies of the book out there on the secondary market.

A few years ago when we first met, Burt signed my copy as well.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 3:28 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Blue Skies Sir and thank you for your service...

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 4:23 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I remember at Reno 2021, I walked into the National Aviation Heritage Invitational area. There was a small desk set up to the left of me and two guys sitting behind it. I figured they were just selling a book or something, but it was no other than Bud Anderson and Dick Rutan. The fact that only one other person was talking to them, blew me away. I wasn't wearing a mask, but Dick said I could get a picture of them both as long as I wasn't wearing one. Two of the nicest guys I've ever met. They made that trip to Reno extra rememberable, thank you..

Blue skies... :cry:

Phil

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 6:19 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

My first ever flight in a light aircraft was in a Cherokee.
I answered an add in the newspaper for someone looking to share costs to fly to Oshkosh.
It was 1984. We saw Voyager arrive overhead the field, then I recall that it orbited the area for a day or two?
We then, of course, saw it land and checked it out.
Amazing.

Blue skies sir.
Much respect.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 7:23 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I am posting this today in Memory of Dick Rutan, Vietnam fighter pilot who flew 325 missions as a forward air controller as well as one of the two pilots who flew the "Voyager" around the world non stop and non refueled.
Flight of the Rubber Chicken
This is story that took 20+ years to reach its conclusion, but I’ll try to tell it a bit faster than that.
The Arizona Wing of the Confederate Airforce was attending an Airshow in Kingman Arizona with their Flagship plane, a B-17G Flying Fortress named Sentimental Journey, it was the first show in almost a year as the B-17 had been down for almost a year while we did some major restoration and repairs. While it was down, gutted the fuselage of every piece of wire, paint stripped the inside from nose to tail, reskinned the top of the fuselage from the nose to the radio room, installed the top turret mounting ring, and replaced the tail gunners’ section, as well as installing the K mounts for the waist guns, which is where this story takes place…
In any group there are all sorts of people, and we had a practical joker by the name Bob Burns, and Bob loved to tease our load master Bill Neagle, and one way he would do it was to hide a large rubber chicken somewhere in the B-17 while we were in the air. After they had arrived in Kingman, Bill found the chicken, and let it be known that if he found that darn chicken in the plane again, who ever brought it on board would be walking home, starting from several thousand feet in the air. Which is where I was dragged into what was to happen...
Not long after we had taken off, Bill went fwd and I was left to figure out what to do with the chicken. Then I saw it, the empty K mount for the Right waist window, I stuffed the head and neck of the chicken into the mount until the head was outside the plane. The pilots of the Blue Longez and Pitts could see someone in the window and then something yellow come out of the mount. Not long after this was accomplished, Bill came back from the flight deck and saw me holding the legs of the rubber chicken as if it was a 50cal machine gun. all Bill did was shake his head and returned to the flight deck. After we had landed, I spotted the 2 pilots walking toward the B-17 to figure out what it was they saw. I grabbed the K mount and turned it to the pilots and grabbed the legs and proceeded to shoot them with the Rubber Chicken, both laughed, shook their heads and walked away.
In December 1986, a strange plane named Voyager, took off from Edwards AFB and completed what was called the Last Great Firsts in Aviation, a non-stop, non-refueled flight around the world, and I bet you are wondering, how does a flight around the world tie into a story involving a rubber chicken….
Not long after Dick Rutan and Jeana Yeager landed Voyager back at Edwards AFB a book was written about the building and flying the Voyager. Early in the book Dick talks about flying his Blue Long Eze at airshows to raise funds to build what was to become Voyager. When I read that, I remembered a certain flight over Kingman involving a B-17, a Blue Pitts and a Blue Long Eze and of course a large rubber chicken. I found my photos from that day and there it was, a photo of a Blue Long Eze that I had taken from the waist gunners window of the B-17, I took those photos and put them in my copy of Voyager.
Jump forward to August 2000, in Oshkosh, WI. On the last day of Airshow, Mark Berent was interviewing Dick Rutan about his time flying F-100s as a Misty FAC over Vietnam and it was also the last interview for that stage for the event, so there was a small crowd. I packed my copy of Voyager, hoping to get it signed and maybe finish a story that was so long in the making…
After listening to Mark and Dick talking about their experiences as Misty's,The allotted time was up and the workers wanted to get the stage broke down, but we were not done, do Mark, Dick, Myself and Lacy Parker, one of the Crew Chiefs of Cactus Squadron, went outside to continue the conversation. After a while, I got to ask Dick the question that I had been waiting years to ask, I asked Dick if flew a Wake Up Kingman Flight with a B-17 at the Kingman Airshow that he mentioned in Voyager, Dick replied that yes, he flew a flight with the B-17 along with a Pitts, I then asked him if there was anything unusual about the flight, he thought about for a bit and then smiled and said yes, “there was a Rubber Chicken stuffed into the waist gun mount”, I smiled and said that was me with the Rubber Chicken and presented him with the photos from that day. We all had a good laugh at the story that took decades to finish. Oh, I did get my Copy of Voyager signed as well as my Logbook.

Check out the Ercoupe Discussion Group on facebook

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 3:48 am 

That's a good story! Perhaps I will see if I can find a signed copy of the book. I guess they will go up in price now!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 6:51 pm 

I feel compelled to tell my favorite Oshkosh story featuring Dick Rutan:

So a friend of mine, Virgil (who is actually my sister's father-in-law, if that makes sense) was in the EAA museum with another gentlemen. They were looking at the partial Voyager replica, and Virgil was telling his friend about the history of the real Voyager and about its trip around the Earth. During this discussion, some guy standing behind them kept mocking Virgil muttering things about how it didn't really happen, Virgil was full of BS, was all faked, etc, etc. Well after hearing these comments a few times, Virgil finally turned around to confront the guy, and low & behold it was Dick Rutan himself! Dick laughed about the verbal prank he was pulling on Virgil. In this moment he was obviously humble, and liked to have a good time about it. What a guy.

R.I.P. Dick Rutan.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 9:18 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Dick Rutan was a decorated Air Force veteran of the Vietnam War. He flew many combat missions in the F-105 Thunderchief. Colonel Bud Anderson's last assignment in the USAF was as a squadron commander in the Vietnam War. He commanded a squadron of F-105s. NO doubt they were reminiscing about the airplane and some of those experiences. That could be why people were letting them have a moment.