Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Replacement Scott/Maule Tailwheel For Fairchild PT-19s?

Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:12 pm

Although an overall wonderful airplane, a less than desired design of the tail strut continues to vex PT-19/26 pilots over the years with shimmy issues and mechanical failures...

I was curious if you know of any PTs out there flying with replacement tail wheels; Scott, Maule, etc

Re: Replacement Scott/Maule Tailwheel For Fairchild PT-19s?

Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:06 am

I'm interested in this too! Have you had any luck mitigating the shimmy? I help maintain a Cornell that is currently grounded due to an excessive shimmy. It is certainly a poorly designed part of that aircraft.

Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:55 pm

Sounds like a good question for the "Warbirds of America" division of the EAA...especially since EAA members have likely done similar tailwheel swaps on various types.

I wonder what if it could be done with a simple 337 form since the Fairchild doesn't have an ATC...or does it?

Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:29 pm

Thanks John B...been talking to a LOT of people. Will try them as a last chance...

Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:36 pm

Also check with Mike Kelley over at the Fairchild Club. It's been a while since I've dealt with one, but if I remember correctly, the shimmy is due to wear in a bronze collar and the locking pin.

Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:52 am

The shimmy is obviously caused by wear, but one unauthorized fix it to take the bronze collar off, lay the mating surfaces down on a sheet of 600-grit paper, sand off an educated 2-thou, clean it all, and reassemble.

It becomes slightly smaller when you do this and grips the post better -- enough to swivel so you can turn, but not enough to shimmy.

As I say, a barnyard fix.

Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:46 pm

Thanks all...! Very helpful steer...time to relook at the tailwheel strut again...

Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:55 pm

Have you seen Tina Turners video “ Private dancer” she addresses the shimmy. It’s a song about a bunch of horn-dog warbird pilots in a strip club asking to “ see the shimmy again.” Maybe you should embrace the shimmy!
Post a reply