Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

"Operation Vengeance was the American military operation to kill Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto of the Imperial Japanese Navy on 18 April 1943 during the Solomon Islands campaign in the Pacific Theater of World War II. Yamamoto, commander of the Combined Fleet of the Imperial Japanese Navy, was killed near Bougainville Island when his transport aircraft was shot down by United States Army Air Forces fighter aircraft operating from Kukum Field on Guadalcanal.

The mission of the U.S. aircraft was specifically to kill Yamamoto, made possible because of United States Navy intelligence decoding transmissions about Yamamoto's travel itinerary through the Solomon Islands area. The death of Yamamoto reportedly damaged the morale of Japanese naval personnel, raised the morale of the Allied forces, and was intended as revenge by U.S. leaders, who blamed Yamamoto for the attack on Pearl Harbor that initiated the war between Imperial Japan and the United States.

The U.S. pilots claimed to have shot down three twin-engine bombers and two fighters during the mission, but Japanese records show only two bombers were shot down. There is a controversy over which pilot shot down Yamamoto's plane, but most modern historians credit Rex T. Barber."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Vengeance

Seems these photos below were taken this year or last year.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100064752997219

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:01 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

This is one case where an airframe really should be recovered and conserved before it goes forever. Not restored: conserved as-is.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:16 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

quemerford wrote:
This is one case where an airframe really should be recovered and conserved before it goes forever. Not restored: conserved as-is.

I agree. It was fascinating leaving it in situ for so long, but it looks like its time to bring it indoors and conserve whats left.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:41 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Agreed, OR build something on top of the site... which of course has it's own risks.

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:33 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Besides being pilfered by souvenir hunters, I understand the wreckage has also been moved around a bit by logging crews over the years, so it's hardly a pristine site. I agree that what's left should be recovered and conserved. Of course, I'm sure the locals would like it to stay where it is, because it brings in tourist dollars. I certainly can't blame them.

SN

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have read somewhere that some of the more relevant wreckage was taken to a shrine or museum in Japan.
I would not have any problem with that if it is better protected.

Does anyone know more?

I recall seeing photos in (most likely) Air Classics many years ago, when interest in the site was relatively recent.
It would be interesting to compare, see how much has been removed or even if it is in the same place.

IIRC, the 1969 book Get Yamamoto seemed to create interest in the mission and the crash site.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:17 pm 

TAdan wrote:
quemerford wrote:

I agree. It was fascinating leaving it in situ for so long, but it looks like its time to bring it indoors and conserve whats left.

Looking at the pics I can see its not far from rotting into the ground..Stabilize whats left and display inside.