Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:14 am 

I had a practicing aviation defense lawyer at my local airport yesterday bring this crash up and he brought up the fact that this pilot is actually most likely in deep sh*t for landing between the beech and swimmers very nearby in the water.

I went back and watched the video a few times and there were a lot of swimmers around the plane before and upon impact. With no forward and downward visibility and that amount of people in the water, its surprising it turned out the way it did.

I don't know what the pilots altitude was prior, what the specific failure was and or the rest of the scenario was but If faced with having to ditch in open water or in beach surf. The last thing you want to do is "kill a few kids or innocent bystanders who didn't have a choice or decision in the matter" he said.

Again, its all conjecture until your faced with the same situation and his options could have been just that limited. It will be interesting to see the NTSB report. I'm glad no one was hurt and its too bad it's another warbird taken out of the air.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:20 am 

For those saying that the best thing to do is dunk it in a swimming pool: chlorine is a strong oxidizer (adds oxygen to molecules) for both organic compounds and metals. When mixed with water it can also form hydrochloric acids which will eat away at the metal components.

As one who use to work as a pool lifeguard - many decades ago - Pool water is not pure water. Its Ph is very high due to the large amount of chlorine added to the water to keep it clean.

Yes, submerge it is fresh water; but, insure the Ph level is lowered and add some of the ingredients mentioned earlier in the post to help remove the salt concentrations from the aircraft.

Lance Jones

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:51 am 

Dan Jones wrote:
Did the engine pack up or...? In the video it sounds like it's making at least some power. I hope she gets into a tank of fresh water fast or her future is gonna be a little bleak.

On a slightly similar topic, what has become of the P-47 that ditched a couple of years ago on the east coast? As I recall the pilot didn't make it out.

I doubt it - that's just how they sound when mis-firing or incorrect air/fuel ratio. Heard it many times on B-25s and TBMs, it's also partially due to the plane having two large stacks on either side, so you automatically get a "misfire" vibe even when running correctly.

I'm assuming he had it fire-walled but the engine was at low-RPM. I'm inclined to think the internals were okay, but air/fuel or fuel supply (ie carb or pumps etc) have something to do with this.

I saw an R-2600 with an unhappy carb which exhibited VERY similar behavior (like this, after a few flights prior to which she had been sitting - this bird didn't have many hours post-resto yet). They're very sensitive to being wetted every 30 days or so, not sure what Valiant's SoPs are or if the carb was rebuilt/bench-tested or not, but just thought I'd add this since I've seen it personally.

Thermal shock could be a huge issue for this engine anyways - if they can't get a good core out of it, it may be a no-go for them to restore (need a prop, electronics, eng accessories, avionics/radio stack/instruments/gyro etc etc also).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:36 pm 

StangStung wrote:
JohnH wrote:
Dan Jones wrote:
Did the engine pack up or...? In the video it sounds like it's making at least some power. I hope she gets into a tank of fresh water fast or her future is gonna be a little bleak.

On a slightly similar topic, what has become of the P-47 that ditched a couple of years ago on the east coast? As I recall the pilot didn't make it out.

It’s owned by the insurance co. I am told By a friend that works in the Warbird industry and knows everyone and everything it’s never going to be seen again.

What does this mean, specifically, if you/your friend knows?

The insurance company wants to scrap it? Doesn't want to be bothered with trying to sell it?

Why would the insurance company care about anything else but seeing a recovery on its expenditure?

Certainly there is some value in the plane or at least its component parts?

That is likely a topic that is not allowed, as to why the insurance co wants it scrapped.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:12 am 

Speeddemon651 wrote:
I had a practicing aviation defense lawyer at my local airport yesterday bring this crash up and he brought up the fact that this pilot is actually most likely in deep sh*t for landing between the beech and swimmers very nearby in the water.

I went back and watched the video a few times and there were a lot of swimmers around the plane before and upon impact. With no forward and downward visibility and that amount of people in the water, its surprising it turned out the way it did.

I don't know what the pilots altitude was prior, what the specific failure was and or the rest of the scenario was but If faced with having to ditch in open water or in beach surf. The last thing you want to do is "kill a few kids or innocent bystanders who didn't have a choice or decision in the matter" he said.

Again, its all conjecture until your faced with the same situation and his options could have been just that limited. It will be interesting to see the NTSB report. I'm glad no one was hurt and its too bad it's another warbird taken out of the air.

I think lawyers have officially ruined everything, everywhere. No one chooses to ditch when there are other viable options. Safe to assume that the Avenger was low and slow when the engine stopped making power. Even with no forward or downward visibility, you still going to site your landing spot and put it down, just like you would during your emergency training in a Cherokee. I think the guy is fine, no third party has any claim or loss.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:24 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

StangStung wrote:

The insurance company wants to scrap it? Doesn't want to be bothered with trying to sell it?

Why would the insurance company care about anything else but seeing a recovery on its expenditure?

I think he is talking about the Thunderbolt which remains in storage by the insurance company and untreated from the effects of saltwater immersion AFAIK.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:28 am 

exhaustgases wrote:
That is likely a topic that is not allowed, as to why the insurance co wants it scrapped.

I'm sure they'd rather not people talk about it. But I don't think they can stop anyone here.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:29 am 

bdk wrote:
StangStung wrote:

I think he is talking about the Thunderbolt which remains in storage by the insurance company and untreated from the effects of saltwater immersion AFAIK.

I know that's what he's talking about, and I apologize for the thread jack, but it just seemed a curious bomb to kind of lob out there. The "I know things, and I want you to know I know them, but I'm not going to tell" variety of post always leads to more questions.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:29 pm 

“Deep sugar.” Is that a legal term? I wouldn’t use that aviation lawyer for anything related to aviation. No one was harmed. No damage to persons or property. No laws or regs broken. Even if they were, PIC authority in an emergency situation is a defense for anything that comes up. The PIC is entitled to at least attempt to survive by ditching close to shore. It’s amazing how someone can preform a perfect ditching of a rather complex vintage aircraft yet still have the know it all’s come out of the wood work.

Speeddemon651 wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:02 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

It’s been on FB too. I’m told typically insurance companies don’t let stuff get rebuilt and there is too much liability involved. And the poster earlier is correct , lawyers have officially ruined everything. If hell freezes over and this airplane reappears I will admit I was wrong. It’s not happening and that’s why it’s now five years later and nothing has happened.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:30 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

JohnH wrote:
It’s been on FB too. I’m told typically insurance companies don’t let stuff get rebuilt and there is too much liability involved. And the poster earlier is correct , lawyers have officially ruined everything. If hell freezes over and this airplane reappears I will admit I was wrong. It’s not happening and that’s why it’s now five years later and nothing has happened.

My sense from an earlier post on the subject was that the P-47's owner had some control over the airframe and was going to sit on it.

I would think any insurance company would be happy to sell the airframe for big bucks to recoup its losses. I assume a ditching damaged P-47 would still be a half million dollar starting point for a restoration.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:20 am 

JohnH wrote:

Oh, well if it was on FB, then say no more. : )

"Lawyers have ruined everything" :roll: There are plenty of lawyers who help Keep 'em Flying as well.

As we're all aware, sometimes warbirds linger a loooong time without being restored for a variety of reasons. The Swoose thread jumps to mind. And then there's the CAF's P-47N. Or....we could go on and on.

Usually the reason is money. But what I can't figure out in the P-47's case is the financial incentive to hold onto a bunch of bent metal that may have significant value. I'm very familiar with liability concerns of insurance companies. But insurance companies trade in high value scrap everyday without exposing themselves to liabilities. It's what they do. So while I'm not disagreeing that there may be something to your claim, it's very unclear to me what the actual substance may be. I hope you can understand my curiosity and even skepticism.

Anyhow, I'll move on. Once again, I sorry for the thread jack.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:21 am 

Kyleb wrote:
JohnH wrote:

My sense from an earlier post on the subject was that the P-47's owner had some control over the airframe and was going to sit on it.

I would think any insurance company would be happy to sell the airframe for big bucks to recoup its losses. I assume a ditching damaged P-47 would still be a half million dollar starting point for a restoration.

This makes sense to me. Thanks. :drink3:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:48 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Don’t know what owner has control means. Do you have control when you wreck your car and your ins co takes possession after it pays you off? They paid him off and own the wreck. It’s their call. They are now the owner of the wreck .

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:22 pm 

JohnH wrote:
Don’t know what owner has control means. Do you have control when you wreck your car and your ins co takes possession after it pays you off? They paid him off and own the wreck. It’s their call. They are now the owner of the wreck .

Yep.
Not wishing to continue the thread hijack too much, but wasn't this more to do with it being a fatal and the relatives of the pilot were involved were trying or requesting the wreck destroyed so it couldn't be rebuilt? Apologies if my aging memory is getting confused with another incident?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next