Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:58 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

deskpro590 wrote:
I for one would love to see all of the aircraft they sell go to good homes. As for the B-17, it would be cool if Cavanaugh could pick that up and complete it to airworthy status (they did a wonderful job helping Fifi get back in the air). I know there are already 2 flying B-17s in my State, but there are none in the DFW area (now home base of the CAF). Wishful thinking on my part, but one can dream...

There are NONE in my state - lol - I know pony up the cash and change that right?! :lol:

Several years ago the local T-33 driver, told me that he hoped that restored planes could all get air under thier wings again. I have to agree in most cases. It is one thing to see the plane sitting there and dream about what it might have sounded like and another to hear, feel, and see it fly. I will never forget my B-17, B-29 or TBM rides. it is just magical to me and I would hope that these planes will be flying into the future for others to see and enjoy.

Tom P.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:07 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

There aren’t Aton of people looking to buy a B-17. Maybe five or maybe just one person. So, maybe he just wants a flyer. The cheapest route is to buy one that is flyable or was flying when parked. Why did Paul Allen stop work on his B-17E? My guess is it was hopelessly over budget and he grew tired and wAnted to stop the bleeding.
How far along is the B-17E? 60%? Best case is a collector buys it and has it finished airworthy. Second best scenario is it is restored to static. It’s a beautiful aircraft. If the FHC continues to sell off aircraft, then maybe there will be funds to complete it as a static and put on display in their museum.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:07 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Edit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:55 pm 
KiwiZac

There are no flying B-17s in my hemisphere!! :lol:

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Zac Yates wrote:
There are no flying B-17s in my hemisphere!! :lol:

Or Lancasters....

Look on the bright side, NZ has its fair share of warbirds.
And, provided you aren't on a too distant island, most of them can be viewed regularly at the large airshow there.
There are a lot of places in North America where you are a 500-1000 miles from seeing much of anything warbird wise.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:02 pm 

We are actually blessed with 3 large 3-day bi-annual airshows. Warbird-heavy by necessity. Although I don't think there is a non-flying B-17 in the hemisphere!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:48 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Isn't the Black Cat Pass B-17E still in PNG on a mountainside? It's pretty darn intact, if I remember correctly, and down in that part of the world.
kevin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:15 pm 
KiwiZac

JohnB wrote:
Or Lancasters....

Look on the bright side, NZ has its fair share of warbirds.
And, provided you aren't on a too distant island, most of them can be viewed regularly at the large airshow there.
There are a lot of places in North America where you are a 500-1000 miles from seeing much of anything warbird wise.

I jest. You're quite right, I feel lucky to be here. But there are other things I'd love to see without flying there myself.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:14 am 

Quote:
Isn't the Black Cat Pass B-17E still in PNG on a mountainside? It's pretty darn intact, if I remember correctly, and down in that part of the world.

its still there but good luck getting it.PNG has clamped down on recoveries now plus wasnt there a few grass fires through where the wreck sits? :axe:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:47 am 

I think I read somewhere that it was pretty much destroyed by grass fires. Don't remember where I read it though.

Mac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:41 am 

Anyone have any idea where the Zero is headed? It is now listed as "Sold".

Thanks,

Mac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:04 pm 

Jim MacDonald wrote:
Anyone have any idea where the Zero is headed? It is now listed as "Sold".

Thanks,

Mac

Only a few shops in the world that play with Zeros.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:52 pm 

Have a friend visiting the WWII Aviation Museum in Colorado Springs, CO today, home of WestPac Restorations. While speaking with staff, they mentioned they hope to acquire a B-17 next year. I'm not sure of any others on the auction block... could this be the one they have their eyes on?

- Dennis S.
Thornton, CO USA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just wondering...
How does the FHC "E" asking price (plus who knows how much to finish it), compare with recent B-17 sales...and I realize there have not been a lot.

In other words, unless someone is really impatient and doesn't want to wait for the next sale, or has money to burn, would it be financially advantageous to buy the "E" or wait for the next one that comes on the market?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:12 pm 

Two more Vulcan Warbirds projects have recently been published for sale via Platinum Fighters

MiG 21R N7803Z
MiG 21UM N7803S

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next