Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 10:26 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

For shame!!!! 8)

From Rob Mulder CEO at European Airlines,

"It's time. Mission accomplished! After hours of work and dedication the restoration of the last Focke-Wulf Fw 200 Condor at Airbus Bremen is now complete. See it soon at Deutsches Technikmuseum Berlin, its last destination." Salvaged in Norway from many years ago and restored in Bremen. The CONDOR restoration, was carried out at Airbus in Bremen (hull and wings), at Lufthansa in Hamburg (chassis, elevation and side control gear, hullback) and at Rolls-Royce in Oberursel (motors).

Last edited by Mark Allen M on Fri May 28, 2021 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 10:29 am 

Rob, at least someone got my point :wink:

This is wonderful to see.. So no military markings for this one?

Gert Jan

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 10:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Truly an amazing feat. Amazing to see it completed! Or at least in mostly one piece! Looks like the interior will not get all the details to go along with it! I rember reading awhile ago that the intention was to rebuild the 200 as a pre-war airliner.

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 1:07 pm 

Now that is beautiful! Amazing looking aircraft and a wonderful restoration so far. Is the landing gear partially retracted so that it fits in the building?

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 3:38 pm 

More pics here:
https://fw200-restaurierung-bremen.de/2021/05/19/status-19-05-2021/

I was wondering the same thing about the gear...it's a phenomenal feat they've accomplished just getting it to this point! I do hope they can eventually finish outfitting the cockpit, interior, etc, but that can all be worked on in time. Just unbelievable considering the corroded mess they started with, and always nice to see an aircraft brought back from extinction!

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 6:55 pm 

Regards the gear:

My browser translation from the FW200 site reads:

“ For safety reasons, we cannot extend the chassis completely, because our hydraulic supports cannot hold the hydraulic pressure for a longer period of time. The hydraulic supports are positioned under the wings and serve to keep the machine at a certain height level so that the chassis is relieved and can also be fully retracted and extended. Replacement supports are currently not available. Therefore, the machine rests on the (hydraulic) supports without hydraulic support and the chassis can only be retractable in half.”

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 7:19 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

https://fw200-restaurierung-bremen.de/2016/12/06/werknummer-0063/

This webpage includes a video that shows the disintegration of the aircraft as it was suspended above the salvage barge. Painful to watch.

I wonder if those who recovered the Civil War submarine Hunley learned from this video. The Hunley recovery included an in-place construction of a framework to support the entire craft.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 8:35 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Neat, I had forgotten about this one.
:drink3:

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 7:28 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

This is an absolutely incredible achievement. I had no idea there were any Condors under restoration. Awesome!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:42 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

I remember a blurb in Air Classics decades ago about a surviving Condor fuselage that was going to be used as a restaurant? Anyone remember that or the disposition of those parts?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:14 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

kalamazookid wrote:
This is an absolutely incredible achievement. I had no idea there were any Condors under restoration.
I had no idea, either. What a pleasant surprise!
:drink3:

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:08 am 

Vagabond wrote:
“ For safety reasons, we cannot extend the chassis completely, because our hydraulic supports cannot hold the hydraulic pressure for a longer period of time. The hydraulic supports are positioned under the wings and serve to keep the machine at a certain height level so that the chassis is relieved and can also be fully retracted and extended. Replacement supports are currently not available. Therefore, the machine rests on the (hydraulic) supports without hydraulic support and the chassis can only be retractable in half.”

Someone needs to donate a set of jacks! The webpage shows a video of the gear moving. Incredible to see the complete airframe, I only saw a small part of it in Berlin as they displayed an already restored fuselage section in the Technik Museum during the restoration.

DSC_0559_resize by Jelle Hieminga, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:08 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

It's worth noting that they actually used parts from four different Fw 200s in this restoration:

Mark Allen M wrote:

What's up with the instruments in that picture? It looks like the dials are just two-dimensional print outs and not actual instruments. I can't tell though, it could just be the lighting. The seat looks original though.

old iron wrote:
I wonder if those who recovered the Civil War submarine Hunley learned from this video. The Hunley recovery included an in-place construction of a framework to support the entire craft.

Or the RAFM's Do 17 recovery.

Warbird Philosophy Webmaster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:07 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Noha307 wrote:
What's up with the instruments in that picture? It looks like the dials are just two-dimensional print outs and not actual instruments. I can't tell though, it could just be the lighting. The seat looks original though.

My guess is they finished the main airframe / powerplant work, now the team can focus on the interior which hasn't been completed or installed yet. I'm assuming it will be on display, while the crews continue to work inside. This gives visitors a kind of, two-for-one deal. A mostly complete looking plane, but still having some life to it as people work. I've seen a similar theme at NEAM with there Airship Gondola, DC-3, B-29, etc.

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?